Customer Service 866.965.0400

I am in a bad mood!

JJ1o87

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got good family friends who own a 5* body shop and they have repainted like 1/3 of my car due to damage. They use the booth and bake and said just to not wash/wax for the first week.

A week seems a bit quick, but i'm no painter and I would trust my painter because they do this for a living. Before I used Adams on my boat I checked to make sure it was safe (silicone free) though :)

Alright I figured I would try to type something up more clear than what I've been doing on my craptacular BlackBerry. So what happened was the guy told me he baked the paint so it was ok to buff out the area. I did not, however, ask him if it was ok to wax. I figured buffing and waxing goes hand in hand. Silly me. Anyway, long story short, I'm just going to play it safe and buff out the area in two months (X-Mas) break.

Overall, the job came out really well, the guy matched the paint spot on. The only thing that bugs me is that there's a couple spots where I guess dirt got under the clear and there's a bit of a bump. When I'm ready to buff I'll just wet sand that with some 3000 grit. Another thing that bugs me too is that the guy got some compound on my plastic rocker panels, but I'll just hit that with some VRT and I'm good to go.

Just washed the car today, but its getting dark so I'll take pics tomorrow. I'm glad my baby is home. Hopefully I won't do anything stupid like this again.

You cannot use ANYTHING with silicon in it or you will seal the paint. If I were you, I wouldn't mess with it at all. First off, it shouldn't need any buffing because they buffed it out after they painted it. Secondly, you don't know the chemical makeup of the productS you're using. At the body shop, they have specific compounds that they use on fresh paint. They tell you not to mess with it for a reason. I would only do as the painter said or they could void any warranty you may have if the paint acts weird.

My advice, LEAVE IT ALONE FOR 60-90 DAYS. Curing time is impacted by the temperature. You're going into the winter which slows the curing process.

Check out this article in Hot Rod Magazine.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: In the cold it takes longer to cure,i would wait until summer atleast before i polished/waxed it!