Customer Service 866.965.0400

Claying 41 year old paint

694doorbird

Question

I'm starting to clay that giant hood on the Thunderbird. I've clayed the car at least twice since I bought it in '01. This time, every time I pick the clay up, it is dirty. I haven't experienced the clay staying dirty in the past.

Washed, blew dry then pulled it in the garage. Went over it with a fine mist of detail spray and dried with the drying towel. I've broken the hood down into about 14 sections to do the claying. I've been spending about (feels like) 10 minutes on each section.

Since this paint is not clear coated, am I just experiencing the clay removing paint along with any contaminates?

I can certainly see a difference in the part that's clayed vs the unclayed parts.

Thanks,

ps... the last time I clayed it was a Meguires clay. To me it seems that the clay from Adams is softer, but that might be my imagination.

ps again... If it takes me a couple days to clay, is there anything special I need to do? Car sits uncovered in a garage that is used daily. If I don;t finish it today, I'll probably finish it tomorrow followed by SHR, RP, and Buttery wax.

Edited by 694doorbird

15 answers to this question

You may have drove past something that threw either a fine powder or mist that stuck to the paint and only the clay has removed. It shouldn't be removing paint unless the paint is in bad shape. My 86 Monte SS had 'micro-cracked' (or whatever the proper term is) lacquer and clay never pulled paint off, so I doubt you are having paint removed.

There isn't anything special you need to do if it takes a few days (garaged), but I typically just mist it with detail spray when I start the following day, just in case.

I've got it so the paint is smooth, but the clay bar still keeps coming up dirty. I'd hate the put the SHR on it along with the award winning RP if it's going to seal in junk. But, maybe that's what happened last time, and I didn't realize it. I've learned a lot since it was last polished and waxed.

The SHR and RP won't seal anything in, they are both polishes. If you are still getting contaminates out with the clay you should keep going. Can you take a picture of the clay with the dirt on it ? In this case RP might be a good next step for you to help clean the paint before polishing. Your clay doesn't look like this does it ?

Image-417B129EB38211DD.jpg

I can't wait to see the final results. Your car is one unique piece of auto memoribilia for lack of a better term. You are combining today's detail technology with yesterday's paint technology. Today's cars are engineering marvels of their time and so is your classic "bird." I love the hideaway headlights. Does it have the steering wheel that slides sideways for easier access?

I can't wait to see the final results. Your car is one unique piece of auto memoribilia for lack of a better term. You are combining today's detail technology with yesterday's paint technology. Today's cars are engineering marvels of their time and so is your classic "bird." I love the hideaway headlights.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I can't wait to see the final results. Your car is one unique piece of auto memoribilia for lack of a better term. You are combining today's detail technology with yesterday's paint technology. Today's cars are engineering marvels of their time and so is your classic "bird." I love the hideaway headlights. Does it have the steering wheel that slides sideways for easier access?

:iagree: Too! :D

Thanks, This is taking a lot longer than I thought. Must be a difference between the Clay from Adam's and Meguires. Last time I clayed it, I didn't seem to have the trouble I had this time. It does feel smoother with Adam's clay though. I know what's going to be included in my next order!!

The steering wheel pops out of the way instead of sliding. Bad thing is there are NO replacement parts for that mechanism. I always have to remember to catch the wheel when I open the door.

Thanks. That is one cool car. Was it in your family? How did you come across an unmolested Tbird?

Long story... I had one as my first car in high school and sold it and bought a '79 Turbo Mustang. Several years later got married and that car went away also. I've been wanting the Thunderbird again and kept dreaming but did nothing about it. Speed along to the year 2000 and my wife says "wouldn't be nice if we had a third car just in case something happened"? I said I know exactly what I want and the search was on. I found a '68 Thunderbird in Ohio that looked good and was affordable. We wound up bringing that one home. About 6 months later I found a big hole in the frame, so that one left. The search was on again and found this one in Kentucky. A one owner!! Went to look at it around Thanksgiving in '01 and liked what I saw. Garage kept it's entire life. In February I went to pick it up after a long and drawn out battle with a shipping company. It's my "money pit" and toy ever since. The previous owner kept the warranty card and gave it to my. It says Kentucky State Police!! I just need to find someone who services 8-track players!!

Update on my detailing job. Here's a couple pictures of the hood and left quarter panel after claying. Nothing else has been done to them yet.

Hoodclayed.jpg

Quaterpanelclayed.jpg

And now a plug for the SHR!!!

On the right quarter panel there is a water stain that's been there for years. Nothing would take it out.

Waterstain.jpg

I went over it with SHR tonight with the new orange applicator pad by hand. Here is the result.

Staingone.jpg

Who ever came up with those hex handled applicator pads deserves a raise:thumbsup: