Customer Service 866.965.0400

Extreme water spots...as in, nightmarish...

CRQuarto

Question

I'll try to snag some pictures this weekend of it, but I will be hesitant to post them as you all might have heart attacks. For my fathers birthday in December, I was going to detail his black F150. Now, the problem is, he parks it on the street next to the city owned/operated sprinklers for a median, which has wreaked havoc on his passenger side. Now, when I say the water spots are BAD, I mean, they are so bad that they have turned solid white, and are caked on in LAYERS! It looks HORRIBLE! The worst part is, he knows how to detail cars as well as any of us, and he used to paint them when he was younger! He is an owner of his own restaurant though, and so is so busy that the desire to fix the paint is next to nil, even though he admits it is very depressing to see his fairly new truck looking like that. So...

How in the heck do I remove all of them? Claybaring seems like it would be horrid at this stage, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove all of this crap? Also, his wife had the brilliant idea of trying LIME AWAY on his paint (did it without him knowing, trying to be helpful...sigh..), and got it on his black plastic door handles, staining and possibly bleaching them white. HELP!

Hard water spots are one of the worst thing to try and get out. There are a few specialty products made for this type of things but since we cannot post links I cannot tell you about them. On water spots you are referring to claybar and normal polish and such simply will not work. And if they are to the point where the products that do work won't then you my require some wet sanding with a buff.

I'll try to snag some pictures this weekend of it, but I will be hesitant to post them as you all might have heart attacks. For my fathers birthday in December, I was going to detail his black F150. Now, the problem is, he parks it on the street next to the city owned/operated sprinklers for a median, which has wreaked havoc on his passenger side. Now, when I say the water spots are BAD, I mean, they are so bad that they have turned solid white, and are caked on in LAYERS! It looks HORRIBLE! The worst part is, he knows how to detail cars as well as any of us, and he used to paint them when he was younger! He is an owner of his own restaurant though, and so is so busy that the desire to fix the paint is next to nil, even though he admits it is very depressing to see his fairly new truck looking like that. So...

How in the heck do I remove all of them? Claybaring seems like it would be horrid at this stage, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove all of this crap? Also, his wife had the brilliant idea of trying LIME AWAY on his paint (did it without him knowing, trying to be helpful...sigh..), and got it on his black plastic door handles, staining and possibly bleaching them white. HELP!

Water spots are tough, and we are working on a safe chemical to remove them. (Acid based cleaners are most effective, but are are dangerous to use.) Vinegar is also effective on some minerals.

Removing them is a different process, depending on where the spots were achieved. AZ minerals are different than MD minerals, again different from FL minerals.

That said, using our current products:

1. Wash and Clay the finish.
  2. Using a panel as a tester, with the worst spots.
  3. Use our Orange Swirl Killer Pad and Swirl & Haze Remover.
  4. Go slow, at 5K OPM's, and use substantial pressure. Go slow over the paint, and glass.
  5. Do a small area, and then remove the residue with a MF Polishing Towel.

Gone? Good! Not even touched? Email me, and I'll get you a sample of a product we are testing.

The above method is great, as you then follow with Fine Machine Polish, and the paint is left perfect.

(You'll typically need to dial in the finish after killing water spots anyway, as spots only adhere seriously to finishes that haven't been polished and waxed regularly.)

Report back with your findings, and Before, During, and After photos would be WONDERFUL!!!!

Thanks,

Adam:thumbsup:

Adam, I can assure you that a clay bar would not touch this mess! It has to be probably a year's worth of hard water spots built up into a scaly mess. It seriously looks like the paint is white paint that is dirty from a distance! I am going to give it an attempt on a panel to see what the verdict is though. I will definitely post pictures of before, during, and after!