Customer Service 866.965.0400

Volvo Overseas Delivery

Sooners

I ordered a 2010 Volvo S40 T5 for my wife through their Overseas Delivery Program. For anyone not familiar with the program, it allows you to customize the car to your specific tastes, provides a nice discount off the MSRP, and Volvo covers your airfare to come pick the car up. You can then drive it around Europe and drop it off at various cities throughout Europe to be shipped.

We took delivery of the car last week at Volvo headquarters in Gothenburg, Sweden. It was quite the experience. Only downside is that we now have to wait for the car to be shipped home. Due to us having limited time, we didn't get to spend much time with the car, but it was still a great trip. Following are a few pics. The first two were on the floor of the factory delivery center. The first one is a 1961 Volvo P1800. Not sure what the second one was but thought it looked cool.

That is a sweet deal!:thumbsup: I never heard of that! Cool!!

Yeah, I'd never heard of it until I stumbled across it on their website. I then started thinking what's the catch, but then I found a whole section dedicated to it on a Volvo forum. Everyone said the only downside is waiting for the car to be shipped.

I then found out that other European companies like BMW, Mercedes, and Audi offer the same type of program. I was talking to my dad about it, and he told me his cousin recently did this for a new Porsche 911. He wanted to test drive it on the Autobahn before bringing it home.:burnout:

Yeah, I'd never heard of it until I stumbled across it on their website. I then started thinking what's the catch, but then I found a whole section dedicated to it on a Volvo forum. Everyone said the only downside is waiting for the car to be shipped.

I then found out that other European companies like BMW, Mercedes, and Audi offer the same type of program. I was talking to my dad about it, and he told me his cousin recently did this for a new Porsche 911. He wanted to test drive it on the Autobahn before bringing it home.:burnout:

The autobahn would be cool, unless you wrekc it :2thumbs:

That would be COOL!:burnout:

The general rule of thumb is around 6-8 weeks. However, the factory delivery center told me it should be at our local dealership by March 1st. I hope that it gets here that quick. I'm sure it's excited to get the Adam's treatment.:2thumbs:

Hopefully it makes it here without any issues. The salesman at the dealership told me there was a boat coming over not too long ago full of new cars and it sank to the bottom of the ocean. I asked him what happened to the cars, and he said they're sitting at the bottom of the ocean. :lolsmack:

The general rule of thumb is around 6-8 weeks. However, the factory delivery center told me it should be at our local dealership by March 1st. I hope that it gets here that quick. I'm sure it's excited to get the Adam's treatment.:2thumbs:

Hopefully it makes it here without any issues. The salesman at the dealership told me there was a boat coming over not too long ago full of new cars and it sank to the bottom of the ocean. I asked him what happened to the cars, and he said they're sitting at the bottom of the ocean. :lolsmack:

Wait, you have to wait 6-8 weeks for it to be delivered?! What're they using, Pony Express?

Sucks to have a car sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic too! A nice family of fish got a free Volvo.

Wait, you have to wait 6-8 weeks for it to be delivered?! What're they using, Pony Express?

Yeah, it sucks waiting for it. They have to take it to the port to be inspected and loaded for shipping. Then the boats only leave every so often. I think it also makes stops at various ports along the way. Then when it finally makes it to the port where it gets unloaded, it has to go through customs. Finally, it's loaded on a truck (in a closed container which is nice), and heads for the dealership.

The cool thing is that you can use the VIN to track the boat online, so you can see where the car is while it's in transit.

Yeah, it sucks waiting for it. They have to take it to the port to be inspected and loaded for shipping. Then the boats only leave every so often. I think it also makes stops at various ports along the way. Then when it finally makes it to the port where it gets unloaded, it has to go through customs. Finally, it's loaded on a truck (in a closed container which is nice), and heads for the dealership.

The cool thing is that you can use the VIN to track the boat online, so you can see where the car is while it's in transit.

Just out've curiosity, how much money are you actually saving by doing the European delivery? I'm wondering how much money that extra 6-8 weeks is worth :lolsmack:

Just out've curiosity, how much money are you actually saving by doing the European delivery? I'm wondering how much money that extra 6-8 weeks is worth :lolsmack:

We saved about 10% off what the MSRP would have been here. That's about the average markup that Volvo Cars of North America tacks on to the price. Plus, you get a semi-free trip out of the deal. It can really be nice if you're planning a long trip to Europe. I've seen some people who were already planning a trip to Europe, and by buying the vehicle this way, they save money on a rental car and airfare is covered.

Even with current allowances offered by Volvo, I crunched the numbers after paying for hotel for a week (they also give you one free night), food, etc, and we're still coming out saving money. So, we basically got a free trip out of the deal. Also, when ordering options here, you have to pick from packages like all the other manufacturers, but if you order the way we did, each option is listed individually. They also have certain colors you can't get here, etc. Quite a few advantages.

As for the waiting part, we planned for that as well. We're actually leasing my wife's current car which ends in a couple of months, so we should have the new car before it's time to turn in the old.:thumbsup:

We saved about 10% off what the MSRP would have been here. That's about the average markup that Volvo Cars of North America tacks on to the price. Plus, you get a semi-free trip out of the deal. It can really be nice if you're planning a long trip to Europe. I've seen some people who were already planning a trip to Europe, and by buying the vehicle this way, they save money on a rental car and airfare is covered.

Even with current allowances offered by Volvo, I crunched the numbers after paying for hotel for a week (they also give you one free night), food, etc, and we're still coming out saving money. So, we basically got a free trip out of the deal. Also, when ordering options here, you have to pick from packages like all the other manufacturers, but if you order the way we did, each option is listed individually. They also have certain colors you can't get here, etc. Quite a few advantages.

As for the waiting part, we planned for that as well. We're actually leasing my wife's current car which ends in a couple of months, so we should have the new car before it's time to turn in the old.:thumbsup:

Sounds like a good deal. When I order my Porsche Turbo I'm going to do this. :D

Archived