Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel curbage repair

Marylander

Question

8 answers to this question

If they're expensive wheels, I'd probably look to having a professional repair it. It doesn't look that bad in the pic. I've seen wheel repair guys repair curb rash for as little as $40. Depending on the severity, it may go up quite a bit from there. It wasn't curb rash, but I had to have a wheel repaired recently, and the guy did an excellent job. You'd never be able to tell there was a problem with the wheel. Ran me $75 but was way cheaper than a new wheel.:thumbsup:

Rich,

If you google wheel repair there are alot of places that can make wheels look like new.

Also you can search around and find a paint # for your wheels and fix it yourself. I have fixed a few wheels with descent results.

Take some body finger putty to fill in rash, sand lightly then brush touch.

You might have to buff out some of the sanding scratches, just watch the edges.

I would say if you want it to look new ,send it away.

If you want it to look descent do it yourself.:thumbsup:

Rich,

If you google wheel repair there are alot of places that can make wheels look like new.

Also you can search around and find a paint # for your wheels and fix it yourself. I have fixed a few wheels with descent results.

Take some body finger putty to fill in rash, sand lightly then brush touch.

You might have to buff out some of the sanding scratches, just watch the edges.

I would say if you want it to look new ,send it away.

If you want it to look descent do it yourself.:thumbsup:

Thanks... I was thinking for going the DIY route; worst case I screw it up and have to take it to a pro afterwards. I'm really tempted; these are some 17 inch factory VW wheels with like new tires for not a lot of money. My only hesitation is whether I should keep looking for 18s (I have 16s on there now). But I also worry 18s will be too harsh for daily driving. Decisions, decisions... :lolsmack:

Rich

Several members on another forum have tried this with success. Here is the link http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87002

Looks promising.... thanks!

If they're expensive wheels, I'd probably look to having a professional repair it. It doesn't look that bad in the pic. I've seen wheel repair guys repair curb rash for as little as $40. Depending on the severity, it may go up quite a bit from there. It wasn't curb rash, but I had to have a wheel repaired recently, and the guy did an excellent job. You'd never be able to tell there was a problem with the wheel. Ran me $75 but was way cheaper than a new wheel.:thumbsup:

Heck, even $40-80 wouldn't be bad for a repair done right. Thx. :2thumbs:

My only hesitation is whether I should keep looking for 18s (I have 16s on there now). But I also worry 18s will be too harsh for daily driving. Decisions, decisions... :lolsmack:

Rich

For a Jetta, I think 17s are a nice compromise, especially if it's your daily driver. I have 18s on my Z, and if I used it as a daily driver, the bumpiness of the ride would get old real quick. I can feel every bump in the road, whereas in other cars, you wouldn't even know a bump was there. If I was looking for a better look without sacrificing comfort, I'd go with 17s.

For a Jetta, I think 17s are a nice compromise, especially if it's your daily driver. I have 18s on my Z, and if I used it as a daily driver, the bumpiness of the ride would get old real quick. I can feel every bump in the road, whereas in other cars, you wouldn't even know a bump was there. If I was looking for a better look without sacrificing comfort, I'd go with 17s.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking, too. I like the idea of 18s for the look, but I don't want to ruin the ride and start hating/regretting the mod (plus at some point which will also include some firmer shocks and slightly lower springs). Thanks for the $.02. :thumbsup:

Thanks... I was thinking for going the DIY route; worst case I screw it up and have to take it to a pro afterwards. I'm really tempted; these are some 17 inch factory VW wheels with like new tires for not a lot of money. My only hesitation is whether I should keep looking for 18s (I have 16s on there now). But I also worry 18s will be too harsh for daily driving. Decisions, decisions... :lolsmack:

Rich

Yea 18s wouldn't leave much rubber, not very pothole friendly.:(

Archived