Customer Service 866.965.0400

Windshield help

Cygnus

Question

So a week ago I drove to Las Vegas and boy was that a bad idea. If you're ever thinking of driving from Phoenix to LV, don't. Take a flight instead. That drive is horrible. Not only did it take hours longer than it should have thanks to some traffic issues, it destroyed my car. Well, not destroyed, but it's no longer perfect.

My biggest problem after it is my windshield. I must have been pelted by small rocks or sand at some point in the trip. There are no cracks or chips in it, but it has little pin size dings in it. I think the rocks were coming in at an angle close to the windshields causing them to barely graze off of it and shoot over the car. Not sure if that makes sense. I can try to get a picture or two tomorrow when there's light.

Outside of a couple of the larger ones, they are not noticeable when cleaning the windshield. It actually looks almost perfect when I clean it in my garage. The problem I'm having is driving during the day. The windshield sparkles a bit now when the sun hits it.

Any recommendations on getting the perfect glass back? If that's even possible. With the damage so minor, would S&H on a orange pad possibly fix it or would that just be a waste of product? I'm not sure if they have enough cutting power for glass. I'm a little nervous to experiment since I don't want to add micro scratches that will worsen the problem

BTW, It looks like the clear bra saved the front end. So money well spent on it. I wasn't sold on it before, but now I'd highly recommend it to any owner of a Porsche or other car with a low, sloping hood.

7 answers to this question

After 20 years of driving my F-150 up and down the highway, my windshield was the same as you described. Glass looked good except for when the morning sun hit it or headlights from oncoming traffic. The only way I was able to get it fixed was replacing it.

Does your finger nail catch the dings when you go over them? If you can you won't be able to do anything with them.:(

Yes, on the couple larger ones I can feel it with my nail. :(

I'm not sure though on the smaller ones that only show in sunlight. I'll take a look when I leave for an appointment in 15 min.

The only way I was able to get it fixed was replacing it.

I was afraid I might here that. I really don't want to replace the windshield on a 2 month old car. It's really not bad enough for me to push for one either. It's just annoying knowing it's not perfect anymore. :rolleyes:

I know there is a product out there that will protect a windshield from such things, DimondX something or other, but it is insanely expensive and must be applied by an authorized technician.

They do a demonstration where they shoot a BB gun at the windshield to show the impact protection.

Archived