Customer Service 866.965.0400

Please help guys havin troubles

03silvss

Question

well i must in the 5% percent of adams users that cant seem to get the paint corrected i tried the fender and hood with the yellow,orange then white pad and still have all the scratches on there i cant figure it out, i did all the steps just how adam does it in the vid and still nothing, starting to get really frustrated, started at 9 this mornin and after washing and claying i was really happy with the all products i had used up to that point. i was really excited to get my paint to look really good but its not:help:

23 answers to this question

Yeah, each fresh pad get 3 pea sized drops initially. And if you need to apply more product, 3 pea sized drops. It doesn't take much product to get things done.

And after a squirt of DS onto the pad that already has product, the product 'wakes up' and comes back off the pad a bit - it looks whitish again, at least as I have worked away with SHR and an orange pad. As you 'work' the product on the finish, it goes from slighty whitish to a clearish greasy or oily look. As the Junkman said, kind of like a (thin) 'vaseline' look.

After my first trial on my hood (and clogging my pad badly), I went back a few weeks later and redid the hood in the manner I described. It looks a lot better (not perfect) now. And I made sure the pad was revolving slowly (like seen in the Junkman video working on his El Camino), and moved it slowly across the finish. All these little changes helped.

thanks all for the great advice i prob was using to much products then and have a clogged pad, hopefully i can get them nice and clean tomorow its to late to clean them now.

THIS is the hardest thing to get through your head... Let the foam do the work...

In years past before I had a PC I let the product do the work... :help:

In this case... Remember less is more.

Chris

Thank you for the advise! I always tend to be too aggressive with the amount of product and application force. Since I have already put a coat of FMP, MSW, Americana, and BSG; [No Pic's - camera issue] is there anything I should do? What should be my next step? This is a garage queen car. I performed the detail and put the car away. It has not been outside - yet.

Nothin' else to do; unless you feel like you need to get more surface imperfections out of the paint.

Put her out in the sun and enjoy the shine... :D

Thank you for the advise! I always tend to be too aggressive with the amount of product and application force. Since I have already put a coat of FMP, MSW, Americana, and BSG; [No Pic's - camera issue] is there anything I should do? What should be my next step? This is a garage queen car. I performed the detail and put the car away. It has not been outside - yet.

Wow! I am using way too much product. Three pea sized dots for a 2' X2' area? What are some signs you are using too little or too much?

Generally if your using to much, the product just simply won't work as well, because the pores in the foam that assist with the cutting will be too full of product to actually cut the clear coat. It will take forever to get anything accomplished.

If your using too little, there won't be enough product to spread evenly on

your work area. You can even bring the polish back to life with just 1 spritz of detail spray :D I've polished 8 cars now and only used 20% of my product.

When polishing, less is more...

I was doing that but i got a little carried away as i got tired lol the other thing is i think i put to much pressure on it because my arms hurt so bad by the end of the day i couldnt sleep. my pc has a 5 inch weight does it need a 6 inch weight? sorry to thread jack. i think you start to get alot of dusting and the edge of the pad gets full of product.

You don't need a 6" counter weight.

I was doing that but i got a little carried away as i got tired lol the other thing is i think i put to much pressure on it because my arms hurt so bad by the end of the day i couldnt sleep. my pc has a 5 inch weight does it need a 6 inch weight? sorry to thread jack. i think you start to get alot of dusting and the edge of the pad gets full of product.

thanks ill have to remember that, i think im going to clean all my pads out really good before i start again tomorow, also when you use the yellow pad you apply 3 drops of swh but when you step down to the orange do you apply another 3 drops?

Its always wise to clean out your pads as soon as your done with them.. Spray em with some APC then hose em out, if you wait the product dries in the foam making it a PITA to get out of the foam; and the colors in the chemicals can stain your pads.

I'm glad your happy with the results! Your never going to get a daily driver 100% and getting a show car 100% will take you weeks :D As long as your happy with the results, all is well.

thanks ill have to remember that, i think im going to clean all my pads out really good before i start again tomorow, also when you use the yellow pad you apply 3 drops of swh but when you step down to the orange do you apply another 3 drops?

And make sure that the pad (especially the orange one) is not clogging up - the little grooves get full of product and the pad doesn't work as well. If it starts to clog, just give it a squirt with Detail Spray and then work the finish with just that. Using too much product was MY mistake.

sounds good, i did get a point to were im pretty happy with the paint, i did try and do a panel pretty flawless but it would take be days to get the whole truck like that so im just doin what i think is good enough.

well i went ahead and did half the truck the way i was doin it, if i leave it over night in a garage will i be able to go right at again without wiping anything off? would it help any if i did the whole polishing process over again.

If its garaged, there just may be some light dust that settles. It can easily be removed with some detail spray and a microfiber.

You shouldn't need to start all over unless your not happy with the side you completed. Remember if its never been polished before, its going to need a LOT of work.. You may even want to try a Yellow pad with some SHR at 5500-6000OPM's.. You never said what you have the PC set to..

Here's how I work on tough paint:

Yellow Pad + SHR, 5.5OPM, 3 pea sized dots of product, 2'x2' area, 4 passes ( should take about 3-4min ) check work. I prefer an orange pad with this process, but if your paint is really bad, yellow will get just about everything.

Not satisfied? Repeat process above until you are.

Follow with white pad + FMP, 4.5OPM, 3 pea sized dots, same area, 4 passes ( same 3-4min) check work.

Happy?

Wax.

Thats how I roll :thumbsup:

well i went ahead and did half the truck the way i was doin it, if i leave it over night in a garage will i be able to go right at again without wiping anything off? would it help any if i did the whole polishing process over again.

my swirls were gone but i had micro scratching all over the place I even tried the four inch pads and a phone call to adam himself and it didnt work so i will let them look at it when i get to grabiak. also this is a daily driver that gets used all year around so it may take a few more passes to get it done right. other wise it looks great someone said it looks like glass.

Archived