Customer Service 866.965.0400

Seeking Recommendations for garage floor paint.

mikegeaney

:eek:

I put down the epoxy kit from Lowes just recently. Its held up great until I put a jack on it and jack up any of the cars. I have a 3 car garage with about 850sq ft. It took me a better part of 3 weeks for prep and 2 coats of epoxy and a clear coat.

I swept and rinsed the concrete to get a clean base to start. From there I etched with the acid etching liquid. I noticed some areas that just didn't etch right (keep in mind.. brand new home I had built end of 2007) so i went to Home Depot and bought a grinder. Let me tell you.. I got my *** kicked with that grinder on the concrete floor but once I figured out how to man handle the thing and kept it from throwing me into the steel poles in the garage... the floor turned out pretty darn good. Had a nice base to clean again and then put down the first coat of expoxy. Let it dry for 4-5 days with no traffic and then put down my first coat. Let it dry for 4-5 days and then put the clear coat on. There are still some areas that its held up great but where I jack up the Vette quite often (I have rail savers installed) it's started to peel up.

While it looks great and wipes up any oil/antifreeze/water but once it cracks and peels... its all over with! I'm so unhappy with it right now and I'm dreading what to do next.

I know I should have just went with the race deck or something similar to that but at 850 sqft garage... no way in hell am I going to drop 5k on the fllooring.

I suggest going a primer route, base route, 2-3 coats after your base route and then 2 coats of clear. But thats still a good bit of money and time involved. There are these new mats on sale at Home Depot I'm considering trying at around 170 dollars per 1 car garage... so I figured I'd need enough around 4 car garage after doing beyond the typical 10x10 foot print of a conventional garage.

I have used both the Rustoleum kit (from Home Depot) and Lowes version but my wife parks her car on the other side in the winter. The salt from the cars up here in the northeast will bring alot of that epoxy paint up in a short time. You should get one of those mats if you will be parking anything exposed to rock salt on the floor. I learned the hard way

Not much salt down here in jawja. :banana::banana:

But ill prepared floors seem to be the norm with the epoxy floors not keeping up, at least from what i can tell from reading the http://www.garagejournal.com/forum forums.

I thought for sure I had prepared the floors as good as possible.

I used one of these to scuff up the garage floor with carbide plated tips. This thing was an absolute hoss. :lol::lol::lol: It threw me around like a red headed step child and I'm not a small guy. I thought with the acid etching and the scuffing of the floor to give the epoxy something to adhere to, I would have been set to go.

floor_maintainer.jpg

So how is yours holding up Chris ?

I need to get pictures for everyone, but the floor is holding up GREAT except where I jack up the Vette. It seems that the rollers on the jack crease the floor epoxy as it is jacking up the vette and shortly there after it comes up. :confused::confused:

I was so devastated the first I saw this due to all the time and labor I put into the coating of the floor! :willy::willy: So, now I'm researching alternatives and it looks as if I'm going to be taking it up in the spring and starting over. I want something that lasts... even with jacking the cars up for routine maintenance and corvette mod parties. :banana:

Not much salt down here in jawja. :banana::banana:

But ill prepared floors seem to be the norm with the epoxy floors not keeping up, at least from what i can tell from reading the www.garagejournal.com/forum forums.

I thought for sure I had prepared the floors as good as possible.

I used one of these to scuff up the garage floor with carbide plated tips. This thing was an absolute hoss. :lol::lol::lol: It threw me around like a red headed step child and I'm not a small guy. I thought with the acid etching and the scuffing of the floor to give the epoxy something to adhere to, I would have been set to go.

floor_maintainer.jpg

Hey jawja guy!

First, let me say that is a beautiful Speedway White FRC!

If you go back a couple pages in this thread I posted a pic of my garage with the UCoat It floor. I have used my floor jack and jack stands on numerous occasions without any issues. I even put a few drops of brake fluid in a corner to test it out and the floor held up fine.

In my post I also had a link to the UCoat it website. They have a number that you can call to talk to a technician about your floor. I would call them under the pretense that you are thinking about putting down the UCoat it and ask them what they think your problem may have been. That might help you decide what direction to go in the future.

Good luck!

Rich

Rich..

Thank you so much for your kind words. :hi:The FRC is Artic White (speedway started in 01 on the z06 in the frc body style). It's so close in color though, its hard to tell online. Thank you for the compliments!

On the garage... I will definitely give those folks a shout. Your garage floor turned out GREAT! I'm jealous! :2thumbs::2thumbs:

I'm also considering the VCT tile as well as the motofloor too! It just depends on the financial situation when the time comes. Its time to start saving and putting away for a while with the looming financial situation that is falling upon us faster then we know what to do with.

Rich..

Thank you so much for your kind words. :hi:The FRC is Artic White (speedway started in 01 on the z06 in the frc body style). It's so close in color though, its hard to tell online. Thank you for the compliments!

Damn! I knew that but had a senior moment. :lolsmack:

Anyway, you don't see too many White FRCs around anywhere. Pretty car!

Rich