Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spot pads vs yellow pad

Smeg

Question

Another topic.

Have a few heavier scratches in the roof of the car. Have not SHR them as yet, but feel that they will not be something that comes out with just that and an orange pad on the PC.

From what I can tell I can't really run my nail in the "groove" of the scratch really and gently going across the scratch yielded what occasionally felt like my nail was catching here and there, but hard to duplicate.

I believe they were caused by some grit that came off the windscreen seal and they run front to back on the roof.

My question. Do I want/need to buy the spot pads to use if they don't come out well enough with the PC orange pad and SHR or should I go for the yellow pad on the PC and SHR and get the same results?

I realize the spots on a drill give you a rotary. Assume that gives you more heat and also perhaps a quicker cutting power with the orange pad?

With the greater "cut" for want of a better word, of the yellow PC pad, would I be looking at really any difference?

Comments, thoughts?

9 answers to this question

I would try SHR and the orange pad first. Try multiple passes, as sometimes, if they are bad, that is what it will take. Better to be less aggressive and remove it slowly and safely.

As far as the 4" pads, I would put them on the PC and skip the rotary - rotary can make problems if you are not careful.

I would say the yellow pad on the pc with SHR is less aggressive than the spot pads only in that if you push too hard on the pc, nothing really happens. With the spot pads on a drill, you can burn through the paint if you push too hard/too long because the pad will never stop spinning. Spot pads on the pc (is that possible?) would be good too, and would allow you to focus in on a smaller area.

I am always in favor of trying the least aggressive method first. If it works, then great, you're done. If not, step up. But there is no going back if you really mess something up.

Thanks for both of your replies!

Sounds like what you are saying is sort of really how I was leaning.

Go at it with the PC orange pad and if needed pop the yellow pad on.

Only got to thinking about the spots due to Adam's video where he gets the scratches out using them. Guess the reality, apart from margin of error allowable, is the spot pads would maybe be faster than the PC due to the rotary nature of using a drill.

Thanks for the advise.

Cheers

Thanks for both of your replies!

Sounds like what you are saying is sort of really how I was leaning.

Go at it with the PC orange pad and if needed pop the yellow pad on.

Only got to thinking about the spots due to Adam's video where he gets the scratches out using them. Guess the reality, apart from margin of error allowable, is the spot pads would maybe be faster than the PC due to the rotary nature of using a drill.

Thanks for the advise.

Cheers

One thing to remember when doing this type of thing is to try to do the least invasive way possible first. If that doesn't work move on to something more aggressive. Personally I use the focus pads but I am very careful to keep them moving and well lubed.

Good luck.

Mike, as Chris confirmed for me yesterday the spot pads are good to go on the PC. Once I knew that for sure (had a question about the 5 inch counter weight) I don't think my spot pads will ever see the end of the drill.

Mike, as Chris confirmed for me yesterday the spot pads are good to go on the PC. Once I knew that for sure (had a question about the 5 inch counter weight) I don't think my spot pads will ever see the end of the drill.

That's a shame! They excel on the drill! I will say that you have to be VERY cautious to keep them moving...

I find also that the spot pads on the PC results in me lowering the OPMs to keep the rotations where I like them.

Yes, always believe in start small and then get a bit stronger if needed.

If I had the spot pads I think I'd probably just use them on the drill end and make sure to keep them moving etc. Sort of swaying back and forth on the issue. To order or not to order. Will I need or not.

Like I said, if there are some deep scratches (not down to the primer type:lol:) then PC might take them out with the yellow pad, but one wonders if it would take a week of Sundays to get the scratch out finally. Rotary nature of the spot pad on a drill then looks better as should be faster and do the job. Just have to be very careful.

Already have the yellow pad so guess we will see where it goes from there once I get into it and then if it is just not getting the job done then maybe order up the spot pads.

Yes, not sure I'd be into the wet sand part. Car is an 05, but we bought it used so no telling if the roof has had anything done to it. Who knows how thick the clear is???

Sort of hard to describe how the scratches are. Once I have it washed I was going to take a load of pics of it for a "before". When I gently ran my nail across the scratches there were spots where my nail sort of just caught on the scratch, but kept moving. Not like it stopped all together. Then when I tried to repeat it in the same area I couldn't seem to get it to do it again.

Going to see where I come out on the orange pad with SHR. Hopefully it will take most if not all out.

Only thing I'm looking at now is how to get up there reach wise to be able to use the PC correctly. Don't really fancy keep shuffling a step stool. Looked at one of those platforms at HD/Lowes, but the height would have me miles up in the air with the fairly low roof on the Camry.

Wish me luck! If the 2 million mile an hour wind blowing great chunks of sand and dirt around would ever stop I could get going on detailing it.

Archived