Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rusted Paint Chips

turbohcar

Question

I've got an issue I hope no one else is having. I've got some rusted paint chips and I'm not sure why or how they got there. They were there when I picked the car up last year from the storage unit after it had been sitting 20 years and I'm just getting around to taking care of them.

Any ideas on the proper treatment and order of things? My initial thought was to sand the rust as best as possible, wet sand the rust stains, clay/polish/wax the existing paint, and then do the touch up. I am however open to suggestions because I've never encountered something like this. My main concern is the rust stains around the chips. I tried some of the "other guys" clay bar on it to see if the stains would come out but only a portion did. I would try the Adams clay but I don't have much dough to shell out right now. Any suggestions? If it comes down to "buy a bottle/jar of Adams ______" then I'll be willing to do it, I just don't want to be shooting in the dark.

IMG_2938.jpg

Close-ups on the chips/rust.

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

Here's the touch up I picked up today. 1-pint worth of House of Kolour 1972-1973 Ford Powder Blue.

IMG_2942.jpg

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

NOOOOOO!

Brett - this bad boy needs to go to a paint booth! No amount of wet sanding is going to remove the rust. The steel is actually rusting below the paint; painting over any amount of rust will just cause bubbling of your finish..

To fix it properly you need to grind down the damage with something a bit more coarse than 1500 grit, your arms will fall off trying to wetsand off rust. Having done some body work; I would hit it with a grinder, fill the voids with putty, sand, block and re-spray the panels.

Ouch, not exactly what I wanted to hear. Well, is there any way I can do a "for now" patch job? The paint booth isn't in the budget this year. :(. It won't be seeing the elements except for some good ole sunshine on random days. Thanks for the help!

I agree with everyone. However, if you were only going to do something really temporary, and I mean only a few months, you could try to sand down every little rust spot with some kind of spot sanding pen and then touch up those spots. Ideally though you will sand down the panel and repaint.

Archived