Customer Service 866.965.0400

Some original American muscle (antique tractors)

IMADreamer

Well, what had to be one of the best weekends of my life has come to a close but I'll always have the memories. My Dad and I love old tractors, particularly restoring them and every time this year we take off to go to a show in Iowa. This year was a little hampered by rain but still great non the less. Then to top it off on the way home we happened to get stuck right dab in the middle of the 2010 power cruise so we were passing or being passed by literally hundreds of classic American muscle cars. Unfortunately I was driving so I only have one pic of those. :( We saw a bit of everything though and were in this pack of cars for almost 200 miles. It was awesome.

On with the tractor pics. :)

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

Adam's metal polish, works great on tractors too!

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

My personal favorite. The brave Vets from the Dyersville VFW making sure to lead the way in the parade. They didn't go far because some severe weather rolled in but they made a good showing and were all a riot to chat with.

IMG_0624.jpg

That brings back memories!

Back in the 70's, our family went to see my dad's old homestead in Saskatchewan. We visited a mueseum in Saskatoon and they had four or five old steam tractors all restored and on display. In the warehouse, you could go look at a couple dozen that had not been restored.

We walked in, dad saw this old beast sitting there and just stopped dead. He called over one of the staff and said that they could find the initials JEMC scratched into the back of the seat. It was the tractor that they had to abandon, when they abandoned the farm during the dust bowl of the 30's.

Sure enough, there, as plain as day, were my father's initials on the back of the seat. In quick time, one of the curators was out there with us, with dad giving her the history of the rig. Turns out it was American muscle since it was bought off of a farm in North Dakota in the early 20's.

To this day, whenever I need to initial something, I do it that way.

Thanks for bringing back a long dead memory! :cheers:

Nice! Where in IA?

We sponsor the Old Threshers Reunion... You want to see old American Muscle go there...

Old steam powered tractors the size of a house and hit and misses galore.

That was a nice rain storm we got though.

Chris

Nice! Where in IA?

We sponsor the Old Threshers Reunion... You want to see old American Muscle go there...

Old steam powered tractors the size of a house and hit and misses galore.

That was a nice rain storm we got though.

Chris

Dyersville to be exact. Great little town. The Old Threshers Reunion is something we've always wanted to go to but it's early September date puts it right at the start of corn harvest for us so we never get to go.

That brings back memories!

Back in the 70's, our family went to see my dad's old homestead in Saskatchewan. We visited a mueseum in Saskatoon and they had four or five old steam tractors all restored and on display. In the warehouse, you could go look at a couple dozen that had not been restored.

We walked in, dad saw this old beast sitting there and just stopped dead. He called over one of the staff and said that they could find the initials JEMC scratched into the back of the seat. It was the tractor that they had to abandon, when they abandoned the farm during the dust bowl of the 30's.

Sure enough, there, as plain as day, were my father's initials on the back of the seat. In quick time, one of the curators was out there with us, with dad giving her the history of the rig. Turns out it was American muscle since it was bought off of a farm in North Dakota in the early 20's.

To this day, whenever I need to initial something, I do it that way.

Thanks for bringing back a long dead memory! :cheers:

That's a great story! I'm hoping to make one of those myself this week. We have been trying to track down my Grandfather's Massey Ferguson 97 from 1959 for the better part of a decade. It was the first tractor he ever bought new and we've been following up leads and researching, well we found it finally but the old tymer that has it doesn't seem willing to sell it, but after we matched the serial numbers (we still have the original sales slip) and told him how important it was to us he is considering it. I'm actually waiting for a call back today. It's going to cost me as much as a new car to get but the look on my Father's face when he sees it will be worth 10x times.

That's a great story! I'm hoping to make one of those myself this week. We have been trying to track down my Grandfather's Massey Ferguson 97 from 1959 for the better part of a decade. It was the first tractor he ever bought new and we've been following up leads and researching, well we found it finally but the old tymer that has it doesn't seem willing to sell it, but after we matched the serial numbers (we still have the original sales slip) and told him how important it was to us he is considering it. I'm actually waiting for a call back today. It's going to cost me as much as a new car to get but the look on my Father's face when he sees it will be worth 10x times.

Best of luck getting him to let it go!

At the end of the day, it ain't really the guy with the most toys who wins, it's the guy with the best memories!

Archived