Customer Service 866.965.0400

TAR- plastic body panels

SPP R/T

Question

11 answers to this question

My daughter has a Ford Escape with those lower plastic body panels,got tar on them (tried search) any good ways of removing this. THANKS IN ADVANCE , Wolffy:burnout:

I had a 2002 Escape with the plastic lowers and I would NEVER say use clay on them. It just won't work IMO. I'd use WD-40 or IMO better yet Kerosene on a rag and wipe. I use 3M adhesive remover which is made for car finishes and it works great. Always try on an inconspicuous area of course. Coat with some Super VRT and you'll be golden!

Chris

I use 3M adhesive remover which is made for car finishes and it works great. Always try on an inconspicuous area of course. Coat with some Super VRT and you'll be golden!

Chris

Maybe try some Goo Gone and give it a good bath afterwards.

I had a 2002 Escape with the plastic lowers and I would NEVER say use clay on them. It just won't work IMO. I'd use WD-40 or IMO better yet Kerosene on a rag and wipe. I use 3M adhesive remover which is made for car finishes and it works great. Always try on an inconspicuous area of course. Coat with some Super VRT and you'll be golden!

Chris

yup, 3m adhesive remover will take it right off. just follow the instructions and dont let it dry on its own. I use that stuff on everything including the vinyl house siding.

yup, 3m adhesive remover will take it right off. just follow the instructions and dont let it dry on its own. I use that stuff on everything including the vinyl house siding.

Yep! Goo-Gone has nothing on this stuff... :thumbsup:

I bought a can of it 2 years ago and I've used probably 4 tablespoons from it! lol

Chris

I bought some 3M remover, I'll try it this weekend and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the ideas. Wolffy:rockon::rockon::rockon:

even though i have used it safely many times, I advise you always try a small test spot, and after you have removed it, wait for the spot to air out completely to test for colorfastness. remember to never let the product dry on its own. i'm not sure if it says that on the bottle, but i would have to imagine its the safer route. It works so well, that a couple seconds and then a swipe with a towel will show its full potential anyway. I just want to make sure you use it safely, as it has worked very well for me in the past, but always remember that most all 3M products are made for the professional market (which is why there always in a different section from the regular car care isle in stores).

Archived