Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stained wheels

Tundra5-0

Question

A couple of weeks ago it was hot and I felt lazy so I took my truck to a full service car wash. They sprayed some type of wheel cleaner on my wheels. The truck looked good, then I went for a drive. They are black with a polished lip and now I cant get the lip clean. I have tried a paste aluminum cleaner with a power cone, Adams #1 then #2 and still splotchy.

Any suggestions?

13 answers to this question

One other good chrome/metal polish I have heard about is S100 Finish Restorer and supposedly most Harley stores carry it. I know a pro detailer who swears by it and gets very good results (haven't been able to convert him to Adams yet)

I haven't had much luck with the Adam's MP getting nasty stuff out, it is really designed for just cleaning up lightly oxidized and swirled metal and making it look fantastic.

Yes. the lip is not cleared its polished aluminum. I'm am starting to get the truck ready for All Truck Nats in August. They are not chrome or stainless. Most of the polishes have made difference in the lip, but not corrected it. I am going to take the wheels off and take them inside (need air conditioning). I was thinking about taking some 2000 grit sand paper and giving them a rub down and starting polish regimen. Thoughts?

I would say take them off, go inside where its cool (lay down sheets/plastic/cardboard because that black crap doesn't come off!) and do some more focused work with some abrasive polishes on the bad spots before resorting to sanding or other harsher methods.

Once you get stains out then hit it with the Adam's MP and it will make them look like chrome! I have had several people think the polished lips on my wheels were chrome even after I told them it was polished alum. :)

A couple of weeks ago it was hot and I felt lazy so I took my truck to a full service car wash. They sprayed some type of wheel cleaner on my wheels. The truck looked good, then I went for a drive. They are black with a polished lip and now I cant get the lip clean. I have tried a paste aluminum cleaner with a power cone, Adams #1 then #2 and still splotchy.

Any suggestions?

:eek:Jeff Jeff Jeff WTH was u thinking man, u most have been really lazy or half of sleep to let them do that to your truck OMG.

The solution: Went to Harbor Frieght and bought an assorment of polishing wheels for my drill for less than 20 bucks. Then tried an assortment of aluminum polishes including Adams 1 and 2. After 2 days they look 90% better, not perfect, but better. Then I put a coat of wax on all the wheels to help protect them. Those who go to All Truck Nats in Carlisle will se the wheels and damage still left behind. Final solution: They are getting painted next year!

Archived