Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help polishing my billet rims please.

bagged00

Question

hey guys new to the whole detailing thing still trying to learn. i got some boyd coddington need be polished. my question is what should i do i have no clue where to start so some steps would be helpful. my buddy has a bottle of adams metal polish so i plan to try that out. heres a few pics.

CIMG4493.jpg

CIMG4494.jpg

all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks guys.

17 answers to this question

yes sir. i knew i was gona go with black. there was a few drawbacks on the green that i didnt like. biggest thing being the resell value. figured black could sell a hell of alot better then lime green. lol

2c758b6c.jpg

new way to roll :D

If you're looking for a fine edge I'd use edging tape like a body shop uses and then mask with err... Masking tape... lol

Just a thought.

Also roughing up the aluminum with a scotchbrite wouldn't be a bad idea.

Chris

If they are not cleared the Adams Metal Polish will work great!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="54%"></TD><TD width="46%"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=redheading1 align=middle colSpan=2>Adam's Metal Polish </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And yes I would go ahead and tape off.

If they are cleared treat them like your paint, 4 inch spot pads with FMP & MSW then follow up with BSG!

Post up some after pics!:2thumbs:

they just have no shine really. little curb rash here and there i may try to fix while i have them off my truck. so im doing some painting on them. should i polish them up first or should i wait till after i paint to polish them. if i wait till after i paint them, do i need to tape up the paint work to make sure no polish gets on them?i do all my own painting and dont want to polish them and then get fish eye's from oils and contaminents that the polish may have put on there.

heres what ill be doing, notice the black and the green inserts i guess you would say.

Black

closeblackinsert.jpg

Green

closeuplimegreeninsert.jpg

Black on truck

blackinsert.jpg

Green on truck

greeninsert.jpg

ill be doing the black.

Okay here's what I would do if they are NOT clear coated, wash 'em up good, prolly with a little dawn or something similar, dry 'em off, and take a little Adams Metal Polish on a soft cloth and apply to the wheel. I usually try and spread some on the whole wheel first and then after I get the wheel covered, I'll started rubbing, rub the AMP in until your polishing cloth gets black, continue until the whole wheel is done. Now with a clean soft cloth remove the black mess off the wheel. It might tke a time or two to get the shine you want.

Also you might try a power cone, it work pretty well on wheels such as yours, just stay away from sharp edges.

Also stay away from srong cleaners such as castrol's power clean, and Adams green wheels cleaner is not good for polished alum. rims, so I've heard.

Hope this helps, this is the way I would prolly go about, from the pictures it doesn't look like they're in to bad of shape.

Shine On

Bluezey:pc:

Archived