Customer Service 866.965.0400

Plastic chrome front bumper and grill

scott500

Question

Hi all...

While I wait for my first order of goodies to arrive, I was evaluating my wife's 2008 VW Passat (I promised her that I would do her car first...after all she did just let me spend $300 on Adams stuff)...and I noticed her front grill and bumper looks chrome but it is really ...."plastic" chrome. It's a little pitted and has lots of bugs crusted on there.

Any thoughts on attacking this?

Thank you in advance

Scott

Oh..and yes..I'll do before and after pics...I love seeing them on this site

8 answers to this question

There are several ways. Washing the car is a good way to get rid of the bugs. I like to use my foamer and let the foam sit on the bugs and loosen them up and then remove.

Some say the best thing is dryer sheets... Never used them and can't comment.

Also, waterless wash sprayed on and let sit for a couple of minutes, then reapplied and wiped off can remove them.

Then a coat of wax and some brilliant spray glaze on the chrome to make it POP!

Chris

Hey guys...thank you for the reply.

I guess my question is more about polishing the fake plastic Chrome as opposed to bug removal. Should I simply wash the bugs off, maybe clay it then put a coat of wax on it?

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again.

Scott

I guess my question is more about polishing the fake plastic Chrome as opposed to bug removal. Should I simply wash the bugs off, maybe clay it then put a coat of wax on it?

Scott, I have plastic chrome on the grill of my Frontier. I would be afraid to clay it. Maybe some Fine Machine Polish (or Revive) by hand and a nice coat of Americana or MSW.

Hey guys...thank you for the reply.

Thats what I would do, treat it like your paint! :2thumbs:

Waiting on those pics Scott!:thumbsup:

I'll post them but I haven't gotten my order yet :( - its been three days but it hasn't even shipped ... does it usually take that long to get stuff from Adams?

Waiting patiently...sigh (now I know how my 7 year old feels on Christmas eve

Scott

I'll post them but I haven't gotten my order yet :( - its been three days but it hasn't even shipped ... does it usually take that long to get stuff from Adams?

Waiting patiently...sigh (now I know how my 7 year old feels on Christmas eve

Scott

I think I answered your chrome question... I'm just long winded.

Archived