Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black FJ

Osok

Yesterday my buddy dropped off his black FJ to have me give it some detail lovin'. This poor truck hadn't seen a coat of wax in the 3 years he's owned it and had extensive scratches of all levels and lots of swirling.

I started out doing the tires..and an hour later I finally got them to where I was mostly satisfied with them. I have to say it was a bit of a rough start since I hadn't expected the wheels/tires to take me that long. He had layers of grime on his tires and a ton of this brown baked on nastiness in each of his wheels. That was of course uncovered after the surface brake dust wiped off. I should've thought to get a close up of the baked on stuff. I think i had to go at each tire 4 times with APC alone and A LOT of muscle before it all finally came off. The pic here doesnt really do it justice.

Before

FJ_b4_drivetire1.jpg

After:

FJ_after_tire1.jpg

After the tire cleaning weight loss program began it was on to a good wash/clay/rewash. For those of you that haven't touched an FJ let me say..this was quite the PITA truck to detail. Between the roof rack, the bolted on spare and all the crazy nooks/lines on this thing...it proved to be quite the challenge. Oh and did I mention..it was brilliant black :2thumbs:

Here's some befores of the doors. The passenger side was really bad with some two door drag scratches and this 1x1 squiggly scratch patter that was pretty deep. I wasn't able to get the thing out completely unfortunately..its just too deep..but was able to lighten it and unless you're right up on the door you can't make it out anymore. For a daily driver though..it should suffice.

So after claying and rewashing I learned I prob shouldnt have left the left over residue from the DS/clay dry as it was another PITA to wash off on the second wash. But knowing i was moving on to some buffing/polishing I wasn't that worried.

I ended up doing 4 passes with the orange pad, one pass with the white and FMP and then MSW to finish it off. SVRT was real nice on all that plastic/vinyl trim and tires..really made it shine..especially the spare cover. In the end I was real happy, my buddy was beyond happy.

Before:

FJ_b4_passdoor2.jpg

After:

FJ_after_passdoor2.jpg

Before:

FJ_b4_passdoor3.jpg

After:

FJ_after_passdoor1.jpg

Before:

FJ_b4_passside1.jpg

After:

FJ_after_passside1.jpg

It ended up taking me pretty much 5 1/2 hrs of the day yesterday and while the results aren't at a perfect level, since it's a daily driver I wasn't too hung up on some of the things I couldn't completely remove. But all in all..not bad for my 2nd full top to bottom detail. I figure if I can shine up a black FJ..i'm pretty much set for anything else.

Thx for listening! :pc:

Nice Job Paul!

Did he recognize it after?

I actually let him take my charger to work for the day and then bring his FJ to the golf course later that day..we were meeting up to play. Anyways..i managed to find an end spot and parked it diagonally and when he walked out of the door he was like ...duuuuuuuuuuude..is that really my truck? He just kept saying.."wtf..this looks like a whole new car now"...over and over.

Felt good for sure..makes the effort worth it. He didn't quite understand how or why i thought working that much on a car is enjoyable...but for me i really dig it.

Thanks everyone for the props.:rockon:

Archived