Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wholesale Detailing

Midnight1700

Question

Anyone out there do detailing for dealerships? I have been approached by a local dealer to provide detailing services on their used cars just coming in. Here's what they are asking for:

Interior:

Vaccuum and full shampoo of carpets and cloth seats.

Clean and condition any leather.

Clean and dress all vinyl.

Clean all door Jambs and hindges.

Spot/streak free windows.

Clean and dress all compartments

Exterior:

Detailing of engine compartment.

Wash exterior

Clay, polish, wax for a swirl free finish

Clean and dress wheels, tires, and wheel wells

Polish any and all chrome

Spot Free windows

They want all this for only $95.00. Well.......... I told them forget it!!! I won't do that level of detail for only $95.00. My fee's are typically around $225.00 for that level. Question is, is this a common price a dealer will pay for this level of detail?

Any thoughts on this???

Hey Dylan, That's exactly what I "Tried" to convience the dealer of. He says he's been having his cars done for $95 from the "Other Guy". Well, I just wasn't willing to work for minimum wage and pay for materials and equipment too. I just finished doing an Escalade this weekend with the worse water spotting I've ever seen. Spent an entire day working on just the exterior. The owner said they've had it detailed before to get the water spotting taken care of the they couldn't get it all out. Well, after I was done with it, it's as close to showroom condition with ZERO water spotting. I'd rather be doing this kind of work then doing wholesale work for someone who doesn't understand the amount of work it takes. I'd post before and after pics of the Escalade but I haven't been able to get it to work....... Yet!

Dealerships aren't looking for flawless finishes or perfect interiors... look at what 99.9% of cars look like when they roll of the lot.

Often times the term 'detailing' gets tossed around when 'wash, clean, & wax' should be used. If you dropped the polish step from the the menu I think its more reasonable. In any detail a 'swirl free finish' is going to be the most time consuming part and TIME = MONEY.

If you can find a way to do just a one step FMP + White pad pass without regard for perfection and just getting an improvement without investing substantial time you could make it worthwhile.

Personally I wouldn't touch a car where they expected "swirl free" for less than $300 and it certainly wouldn't include interior work.

That's what I am thinking. I get $45 for our mobile wash which includes exterior wash, interior vaccuum and dress. If the owner is easy to work with, I'll usually throw in trim and wheel dressings. You know the old saying.... "Prices Subject To Change According To Customers Attitude"

Archived