Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wholesale Detailing

Midnight1700

Question

Anyone out there do detailing for dealerships? I have been approached by a local dealer to provide detailing services on their used cars just coming in. Here's what they are asking for:

Interior:

Vaccuum and full shampoo of carpets and cloth seats.

Clean and condition any leather.

Clean and dress all vinyl.

Clean all door Jambs and hindges.

Spot/streak free windows.

Clean and dress all compartments

Exterior:

Detailing of engine compartment.

Wash exterior

Clay, polish, wax for a swirl free finish

Clean and dress wheels, tires, and wheel wells

Polish any and all chrome

Spot Free windows

They want all this for only $95.00. Well.......... I told them forget it!!! I won't do that level of detail for only $95.00. My fee's are typically around $225.00 for that level. Question is, is this a common price a dealer will pay for this level of detail?

Any thoughts on this???

Our used cars here at the dealership get done for 100$ by a local detail shop. Honestly, they do a go a good job for 100$ They wheel the car, don't leave holograms, but do correct a good amount of the finish. They dress everything, shampoo rugs, and clean the barrels of the wheels. I'm sure the shop doesn't make a lot of money per car from us, but they do get probably at least 7- 10 cars per week just from us.

I've toyed with the idea of creating an organization that serves as a governing and/or standards-based place. Sort of like UL, IEEE, Alliance of Magicians (an Arrested Development reference for you AD fans), BBB, etc. Some sort of non-profit organization that has a set of standards and ethics to which detailers are held and serves as a way for customers to know what they can expect. It could help explain the difference between professional detailers and the type of "detailer" that car dealer is looking for.

Its just a rough idea I've had (in my head) for about a year now. And I am by no means a professional detailer, nor would I lump myself into that category. So if some such organization already exists, then look the other way, nothing to see here. :)

I think it would be helpful for professional detailers to have an organization to which they can point potential (and existing) clients and say "Dylan's Delicious Detailing is a member of Super Awesome Organization. Here's where you can learn more and this is what sets us apart from the competitors."

Members of the organization would of course have to be detailers themselves. Later on the org could provide marketing workshops, using web tools to help manage and attract clients, etc. But it could just start with a code of ethics/some guiding principles/basic what-have-yous. This could be a way to help all detailers who refuse to compete on price (which is how things get sent to China for manufacture and why quality suffers) have - if nothing else - a "support group." :D

That's not a bad idea. :2thumbs:

... Professional Detailers need to hold their ground and separate themselves from the average "Buffer Billy" out there. I believe those who provide quality work will surely outlast the others.

I've toyed with the idea of creating an organization that serves as a governing and/or standards-based place. Sort of like UL, IEEE, Alliance of Magicians (an Arrested Development reference for you AD fans), BBB, etc. Some sort of non-profit organization that has a set of standards and ethics to which detailers are held and serves as a way for customers to know what they can expect. It could help explain the difference between professional detailers and the type of "detailer" that car dealer is looking for.

Its just a rough idea I've had (in my head) for about a year now. And I am by no means a professional detailer, nor would I lump myself into that category. So if some such organization already exists, then look the other way, nothing to see here. :)

I think it would be helpful for professional detailers to have an organization to which they can point potential (and existing) clients and say "Dylan's Delicious Detailing is a member of Super Awesome Organization. Here's where you can learn more and this is what sets us apart from the competitors."

Members of the organization would of course have to be detailers themselves. Later on the org could provide marketing workshops, using web tools to help manage and attract clients, etc. But it could just start with a code of ethics/some guiding principles/basic what-have-yous. This could be a way to help all detailers who refuse to compete on price (which is how things get sent to China for manufacture and why quality suffers) have - if nothing else - a "support group." :D

Good job Mark... I think Doug had a good idea with maybe offering your services for a REALLY flawless detailing when needed. Maybe even offer to come out and show exactly how much better your work is than the $95 price point. Do half a car that the other guy did for $95 so they can see how much better it gets.

Sell the QUALITY of the work, competing on price alone is a losing proposition in any business.

great idea, call him up and say that you wanna prove to him that you're worth more than 95$ have the other guy do one side and you do the other.

Good job Mark... I think Doug had a good idea with maybe offering your services for a REALLY flawless detailing when needed. Maybe even offer to come out and show exactly how much better your work is than the $95 price point. Do half a car that the other guy did for $95 so they can see how much better it gets.

Sell the QUALITY of the work, competing on price alone is a losing proposition in any business.

You are all right! I am holding my ground on this. What really funny is that the dealer just called me and asked if I have changed my mind. I said "NO!, Have you?" Well anyway, thank you all for your input and comments. Professional Detailers need to hold their ground and separate themselves from the average "Buffer Billy" out there. I believe those who provide quality work will surely outlast the others.

Well how about this one! I have a customer at the dealership who gets a few of his cars detailed monthly. This guy pays serious $$$$ money for each car. He spent 600$ just for the interior done in one of his cars! (it was the car he used most and smoked heavily in) While I'm sure they did an awesome job in the car, I also imagine they took care of a lot of it with an ozone generator. I'd post link to the place, but they carry their own product so I don't think I should post it. Point being, there is cheap details, there is way over priced details as well. It's finding the middle ground, and carrying a good reputation and hoping your business can spread by word of mouth.

dont let anyone take advantage of you like that-even if you used their products they will be inferior to Adams so why waste your precious time. Your skills will spread by word of mouth and $300 for an Escalade with water etchings is a DEAL. I took a 370 Z for an estimate and it was $400 if they removed the water spots...(little tiny 370Z) lol

I know you worked your tail off on that Escalade-water etchings are a pain. Acid based cleaner? That is what I have.

Just throwing this out there. But maybe offer to do one car at $95. Dont rush it or anything. Make it look good. Just like that escalade. And then show him what you can do but tell him hes crazy for the price he wants. Show him your good with his cars and you have a great service. If he doesnt want to pay more then say thanks for the business and good luck with the other guy. He might be willing to pay more if he sees what you can do to a used car. If he says no thanks and goes back to the other guy and sees his quality isnt as high as yours he might be calling you back in.

:iagree: X2

Our used cars here at the dealership get done for 100$ by a local detail shop. Honestly, they do a go a good job for 100$ They wheel the car, don't leave holograms, but do correct a good amount of the finish. They dress everything, shampoo rugs, and clean the barrels of the wheels. I'm sure the shop doesn't make a lot of money per car from us, but they do get probably at least 7- 10 cars per week just from us.

You make a good point here. IF, and only IF, they could supply me with a regular flow of cars, I might consider doing the details. BUT, still not quite at the level they're asking for. At this point, I don't think they would be able to provide me with that kind of volume, especially in this area.

Dealerships aren't looking for flawless finishes or perfect interiors... look at what 99.9% of cars look like when they roll of the lot.

Often times the term 'detailing' gets tossed around when 'wash, clean, & wax' should be used. If you dropped the polish step from the the menu I think its more reasonable. In any detail a 'swirl free finish' is going to be the most time consuming part and TIME = MONEY.

If you can find a way to do just a one step FMP + White pad pass without regard for perfection and just getting an improvement without investing substantial time you could make it worthwhile.

:iagree:

Maybe you can minimize the obvious swirls on the hood/fenders/deck lid with one pass and an hour's time. (without having to spend too much time on the flat vertical areas). Then spend an hour on the interior and an hour for the basic wash/tire dressing/ etc. I suspect that might be the level of "detailing" the dealer may be looking for.

Just throwing this out there. But maybe offer to do one car at $95. Dont rush it or anything. Make it look good. Just like that escalade. And then show him what you can do but tell him hes crazy for the price he wants. Show him your good with his cars and you have a great service. If he doesnt want to pay more then say thanks for the business and good luck with the other guy. He might be willing to pay more if he sees what you can do to a used car. If he says no thanks and goes back to the other guy and sees his quality isnt as high as yours he might be calling you back in.

:iagree: I agree with this, too. Show him what a $250/300 detail looks like and get him to acknowledge that the extra money may mean an extra $500 in the sale price for him. Maybe you can work out an arrangement where the premium cars get the full boat treatment and the run-of-the-mill cars get a quickie cosmetic once-over. Sell the salesman... remind him that the guy buying the $20K Escalade is all about image and the guy buying the $3K Corolla is probably not going to even notice swirls.

Rich

the dealer probably doesnt understand how much time and effort goes into correcting paint to swirl free or how much it costs. if he was buying all the materials then maybe a hundred bucks a car depending on the condition, but suv's and big cars would have to be more of course. But since youre buying the materials 95 is way too little. 95 bucks would get a wash, clay, wax, and wheel cleaning and tires dressed in my book. people pay 60 bucks at the car wash for a wash, vacuum and wax, and thats machine washed and crap waxed, no clay no quality products. Show him how much quality adams products cost and how long on average what he's asking for is going to take

I'd just stand your ground... if he was happy with the work hes getting for $95 now, why would he approach you in the first place? Obviously he either isn't getting what he wants for that price from the current detailer or he sees that your work is better and wants it for the same price.

In any event its not worth sacrificing for. Detailing at dealerships is rarely anything thats profitable as many of them don't appreciate or understand the work that goes into 'swirl free'.

Stick to your prices and let the work speak for itself.

Great advice! I'll do just that...

Hey Dylan, That's exactly what I "Tried" to convience the dealer of. He says he's been having his cars done for $95 from the "Other Guy". Well, I just wasn't willing to work for minimum wage and pay for materials and equipment too. I just finished doing an Escalade this weekend with the worse water spotting I've ever seen. Spent an entire day working on just the exterior. The owner said they've had it detailed before to get the water spotting taken care of the they couldn't get it all out. Well, after I was done with it, it's as close to showroom condition with ZERO water spotting. I'd rather be doing this kind of work then doing wholesale work for someone who doesn't understand the amount of work it takes. I'd post before and after pics of the Escalade but I haven't been able to get it to work....... Yet!

I'd just stand your ground... if he was happy with the work hes getting for $95 now, why would he approach you in the first place? Obviously he either isn't getting what he wants for that price from the current detailer or he sees that your work is better and wants it for the same price.

In any event its not worth sacrificing for. Detailing at dealerships is rarely anything thats profitable as many of them don't appreciate or understand the work that goes into 'swirl free'.

Stick to your prices and let the work speak for itself.

You are doing quality work with great products, the other guy is doing wipe-and-done with greasy stuff.

That is so true! The problem is MOST/MANY people don't know the difference between the two. And in this case, most dealers do not know. For dealers, it's all about the bottom line...... For professional detailers, it's all about a quality job!

Archived