Customer Service 866.965.0400

OFFICIAL: Generation 3 PC pads are now shipping

The transition is final... we are now shipping exclusively our 6.75" Generation 3 Porter Cable Pads. Many of you may be receiving them in upcoming deliveries as some fell midway thru the transition period. Going forward all kits and PC pad packages will include this new pad design.

Things are always changing and improving, anyone whos used our products for a good amount of time should know by now that when we make a change its only if we feel something is better. This is one of those cases, but not a complete overhaul... more of an evolution of our hugely popular Gen2 pad system, the Gen3 system incorporates some minor tweaks to build upon the existing design.

Best of all the pads are backwards compatible with all our previous generation velcro backing plates!! :2thumbs:

How are they different?

• Slightly Smaller - The new generation 3 pads have 6.75" of contact surface w/ an overall diameter of 6.875". They're sized identically to our Flex pads, but maintain our previous generation of pads hex cut face pattern. Testing found that this pattern meant cleaner finishing with the Porter Cable.

• The Ring is Gone - To promote more positive contact with the backing plate and improve pad life the ring was removed. While the pads still have a recess cut into them to keep the backing plate shielded the ring was deemed unnecessary in this latest generation. It also means that these pads can be used with the Flex polisher should the mood strike you.

• Black Backing - A new black felt backing (the same as the flex pads) has been chosen. It provides more positive grip and in turn should translate to longer pad life and fewer backing failures.

• Slightly Thicker - the foam removed from the outer flared edge of the Gen2 7.5" pads has been reincorporated into the face of the pad. The Gen 3 pad is slightly thicker which may require some adjustments and experimenting with your current pressure application as the pad now has more room to compress. Essentially the Gen3 pads are composed of the exact same amount of foam to make as the Gen2, just utilized in a different layout.

Should I Upgrade Now?

Not necessarily. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the generation 2 pad system you currently have, but when those pads are ready to be replaced know that you'll be able to pick up our newest pad design without skipping a beat. If you're in the market for new pads, now would be the prime time to get em! The foam material is still exactly the same as it has been on our previous generation pads, the polishing ability is the same, all improvements were made in the name of improved ease of use and durability.

564.jpg 334.jpg 335.jpg 336.jpg

I believe so Brian... shoot me a PM when you get the shipment. Like I said, the transition kind of just happened there was no clearly defined cutoff.

We HAD intended on launching these new pads with a sale before Xmas and putting the old ones on special, but everyone and their brother went nuts during the black friday deal and bought 2 or 3 sets of each pad and cleared us out way faster than anticipated.

aww dang i just got a set of gen two pads and backing plate no chance the gen 3 pads will fit gen 2 backing plate huh?

oh wells the pads will work great for their life span and i will upgrade to the gen3 within next few orders anyhow as i will be needing more pads :)

no bigge looking forward for the comparison also :thumbsup:

What are you doing with all the old PC Pad's? Sale? Discounted?

Answer:

We HAD intended on launching these new pads with a sale before Xmas and putting the old ones on special, but everyone and their brother went nuts during the black friday deal and bought 2 or 3 sets of each pad and cleared us out way faster than anticipated.

Not so much on the reading huh? :jester:

I can read, Dylan :jester:

• 2 months later...

Bump. Just to make sure that some of our customers that may not have been as active on the forums over the winter have seen this wanted to get it back in discussion.

Those that have used the latest generation of pads -

Your thoughts on the new design?

Your thoughts on the new backing?

Your thoughts on the new size?

I get on the forum often and apparently over looked the change in pads. I did order the SSR and pc pad when it came out and finally opened it last weekend for a detail. I love the elimination of that plastic ring. Makes cleaning them easier. I still have the old yellow backing plate.

Archived