Customer Service 866.965.0400

FORUM CONTENT POLL #1 - Censorship & Language

How do you feel about the current censorship rules on AF?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the current censorship rules on AF?

• The censorship is EXCESSIVE and I feel I can't freely express myself
    • The censorship is LACKING in some areas and I regularly feel offended
    • The censorship is PERFECT how it is and enforced fairly
    • The censorship is PERFECT but sometimes not enforced fairly

I dig this place. Definitely one of my favorites. Amazing help, amazing members, amazing products, amazing EVERYTHING. Love hanging out/helping out on this forum. That being said.......

I do feel the censorship is a bit much at times. With all the "pro-America" stuff on this forum, it's ironic that "free speech" (which is one of the things that's more American than almost anything, lol) is a bit limited. Now keep in mind I don't curse like a sailor, or feel the need to shoot out foul words every minute. Matter of fact, my best friends would tell you the ONLY times I curse, honestly, are when I get passionately fired up & excited about things!!! But at the same time, we are ADULTS, and I think it's a bit naive to pretend we're all "goody-toot-shoes" about everything all the time. Let's be honest here.......when you're hanging out with buddies and talking cars and enjoying the passion of automobiles, is it always cookies and milk??? Or is there beer involved, along with "manly" (or womanly) conversation, along with testosterone (or estrogen), and other things of similar nature???

Now I know not everybody drinks beer. I know people have kids. I know there are some people that are more family oriented and Christian than me. I get that, I don't live under a rock, and I realize I'm not perfect, no news flash there. But just as I respect those folks and their lifestyle and word choice, I think a little respect in the other direction would be nice as well. As for cursing or censorship, in MY CASE (and I'm sure others as well), some of those words aren't used to be ugly towards someone or to be slanderous. They're used to express excitement. And as moderators of a forum, I think it should be your job to distinguish the nature of a comment or post. And in 99.9% of those cases, you should be able to tell if the verbiage is being used in a positive or negative manner. And then take any necessary action if somebody is posting/commenting in an aggressively negative manner. But for you to bleep out my word, when used as an excited compliment towards another member's car/post/project, is a bit silly in my opinion.

Now for me being able to read what's on this forum, OR ANY FORUM to my kids, or anyone else's kids. I'm conscious and aware enough as to what should be read to them. No differently than I won't let my kids listen to a "2 Live Crew" tape or watch a "Girls Gone Wild" video. It's my job as a parent to realize the difference, and be able to filter that. I should be the one to have control over what they read/watch/listen to, etc. And I'd honestly like my kids to grow up in a real world where everything's not fluffy roses and yellow brick roads all the time.

I know this is a bit more than what some people have said, and I apologize if I've offended anyone, but after all......you did ask, lol. And I honestly don't think this reply will change anything, as I seem to be the black sheep in my opinion with all this. So do I think what I've said matters?? Nope. Will it keep me from being an active member and continuing to buy the best detailing products known to man?? Nope. But at the same time, I felt this had to be said.

Thanks for providing me the opportunity to express it. :)

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna go unpack my recent $450 order, lmao!!! :)

Wow! Nicely said. :bravo:You really put some thought into this. All I did was vote.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SRTLUVR said it perfectly.

I believe that, as many have already mentioned, we are all adults here. We should be able to control ourselves when it comes to our language. I understand there are always the few who believe they are online tough guys and will come onto the forums and post anything w/o any respect or regards to whom might come across their post, and those people need to be removed and their posts taken down.

However, if someone uses foul language once in a blue moon in regards to anything EXCEPT it being aimed at someone personally, I think that should be ok. Now I don't mean a 500 character long post consisting of every other word being foul, but I'm sure you all know what I mean. If we're mature enough to be part of this family and respect the company and other members, we should be mature enough to know when it is proper to use a single foul word in a paragraph or w/e it may be.

If it's aimed at someone personally, take it down immediately. If however, in it's context it's just a friendly way of talking, I think that should be fine.

I voted " The censorship is PERFECT how it is and enforced fairly" but mainly because there was no answer that fit best to what I think.

I 120% agree with everything Chase (SRTLUVR) wrote.

Can't always have something made in the US, just the way the world is today.

There is no 10 year old on this thread we are adults we should be allowed to use the language and talk as such. I agree that having a family oriented forum is good but there comes a point in a family where there are no longer children but adults and young adults. I work around kids all day and have to watch my mouth... last thing I want is to come home and have to ****en watch it more. Ask any Firefighter on this forum, language at the FD is HORRIBLE but mostly used in good fun.

Just to add a little humor....

rant.jpg

I agree Jason...I voted the same as you because there wasn't an in between I guess. As far as sensorship goes...changing peoples posts, deleting posts and locking out threads on the whim of a Mod gets old a little bit. BUT, I see the flip side on the Audi forums and the other detailing forums I'm part of. I would MUCH rather deal a little bit of the "censorship" on this forum than the rude a-holes on the other forums, where the Mods are just as bad.

...Now keep in mind I don't curse like a sailor...

Are you saying something about those of use that work on ships? :jester:

SRTLOVR Well said. Your not the only blacksheep her brotha...I think its safe to say the 6 people who liked your comment are the 6/8 ppl who voted for the censorship being too EXCESSIVE

I liked his comment and agree with what he said, but I didn't vote that it's too excessive. Maybe I should have, but the way I see it, their house, their rules. If I have a problem with the way things are run, I could just leave and find somewhere else.

I did find it kind of funny that Chase mentioned that some are more Christian than he is, because that's really the biggest issue I've had with this place is that sometimes it feels like a Christian forum. I have no problem with what people believe, and they have every right to think whatever they want thanks to the 1st Amendment, but I know that if I were to call them out on what they said I'd probably be the one to get censored/punished/etc. Religion has no place in detailing just like it has no place in government, so I try keep my views out of the forum. Besides, after all the talk of someone rising from the dead a few weeks ago I though I was going to have to break out the zombie survival kit.

I still don't get why people think they can't make a point without foul-vulgar-inappropriate language. Don't get me wrong, for those of you who have spoken to me on the phone or in person you know I am guilty when it comes to that.

But why the need to put it in writing when ANYONE (members, guests, young, old) who looks at the screen can read it. If you open that door you will need an army of moderators or it will turn into those other sites where every thread turns into a bash fest and nothing gets accomplished.

And if people think censorship is not dealt out fairly now I'd love to see how many feel that way if the guidelines here were changed LOL

the way I see it, their house, their rules. If I have a problem with the way things are run, I could just leave and find somewhere else.

Couldn't agree more with this. Like any forum, the guy that owns it, makes the rules.

As for being "Christian"... I am a christian, I was born and raised Catholic. I'm not a "practicing" Catholic. I do agree with Bill though. Why can't we get our point across in a clean manner? Sure, when I was younger, I was stupid and said stupid stuff, but you'd be surprised what age does for you. It shows you that you don't have to fly off the handle and be all up in someones face. Like when driving. If someone doesn't like what I am doing and flicks me off, I smile and wave. :)

Chris

No stranger to the use of foul language.

I think the big picture thing to realize is that we're not trying to CENSOR anyone, we're just trying to maintain a level of decency in language and keep things respectful and friendly. Think of these conversations taking place in your own home -- how much F-this, F-that, F-you would you tolerate before you asked the "guest" to tone it down or leave? I don't think the spirt of Adam's policy encourages anyone to not express something about a product experience, it the policy simply aims to make the tone comfortable for everyone. :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more with this. Like any forum, the guy that owns it, makes the rules.

As for being "Christian"... I am a christian, I was born and raised Catholic. I'm not a "practicing" Catholic. I do agree with Bill though. Why can't we get our point across in a clean manner? Sure, when I was younger, I was stupid and said stupid stuff, but you'd be surprised what age does for you. It shows you that you don't have to fly off the handle and be all up in someones face. Like when driving. If someone doesn't like what I am doing and flicks me off, I smile and wave. :)

Chris

No stranger to the use of foul language.

I completely agree with what Bill said. All the time I've spent at sea I've noticed how some people can't say a sentence without adding profanity, hence the term curse like a sailor. I personally don't curse that much but it just doesn't bother me at all when others do. I just don't see the need of doing it myself most of the time and it takes an awful lot to anger me. As far as Christianity, I'm just like George Carlin. Raised Catholic until I reached the age of reason. :thumbsup:

I still don't get why people think they can't make a point without foul-vulgar-inappropriate language. Don't get me wrong, for those of you who have spoken to me on the phone or in person you know I am guilty when it comes to that.

But why the need to put it in writing when ANYONE (members, guests, young, old) who looks at the screen can read it. If you open that door you will need an army of moderators or it will turn into those other sites where every thread turns into a bash fest and nothing gets accomplished.

And if people think censorship is not dealt out fairly now I'd love to see how many feel that way if the guidelines here were changed LOL

:thumbsup:

SRTLUVR

Can't always have something made in the US, just the way the world is today.

There is no 10 year old on this thread we are adults we should be allowed to use the language and talk as such. I agree that having a family oriented forum is good but there comes a point in a family where there are no longer children but adults and young adults.

+ ^ this

I did find it kind of funny that Chase mentioned that some are more Christian than he is, because that's really the biggest issue I've had with this place is that sometimes it feels like a Christian forum. I have no problem with what people believe, and they have every right to think whatever they want thanks to the 1st Amendment, but I know that if I were to call them out on what they said I'd probably be the one to get censored/punished/etc. Religion has no place in detailing just like it has no place in government, so I try keep my views out of the forum.

+ ^ this

... totally agree

I did find it kind of funny that Chase mentioned that some are more Christian than he is, because that's really the biggest issue I've had with this place is that sometimes it feels like a Christian forum.

Really? I've been on for several years and never got this feeling at all. Guess I missed the Easter hub bub...

Really? I've been on for several years and never got this feeling at all. Guess I missed the Easter hub bub...

I don't have an issue with wishing people Happy Easter, in fact I still celebrate it myself. It's a great time to reconnect with family and enjoy a meal together. It's just that telling me I should be thankful for a human sacrifice ritual that was performed so that I can be forgiven for crimes I didn't commit is where it is a bit excessive. Truth is, it doesn't offend me anymore than telling a story about Harry Potter would offend me, because I take them both with the same amount of seriousness. I just think it has nothing to do with Adam's products or detailing in general and doesn't belong here. This is exactly why the user registration agreement says, "posts about religion, politics, and/or controversial issues are strongly discouraged. Topics of an inflammatory nature can lead to bigger problems and we ask that you keep your political and religious views out of the forum." Maybe I'm the only one of this opinion, but this thread was created to find out how we feel on matters like these.

I don't have an issue with wishing people Happy Easter, in fact I still celebrate it myself. It's a great time to reconnect with family and enjoy a meal together. It's just that telling me I should be thankful for a human sacrifice ritual that was performed so that I can be forgiven for crimes I didn't commit is where it is a bit excessive. Truth is, it doesn't offend me anymore than telling a story about Harry Potter would offend me, because I take them both with the same amount of seriousness. I just think it has nothing to do with Adam's products or detailing in general and doesn't belong here. This is exactly why the user registration agreement says, "posts about religion, politics, and/or controversial issues are strongly discouraged. Topics of an inflammatory nature can lead to bigger problems and we ask that you keep your political and religious views out of the forum." Maybe I'm the only one of this opinion, but this thread was created to find out how we feel on matters like these.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you about keeping religous/political/politics matters off the site. I just never noticed it. That's all... :cheers:

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you about keeping religous/political/politics matters off the site. I just never noticed it. That's all... :cheers:

I guess you just notice certain things more when your views are different than the norm here. :cheers: I don't want to cause a big deal over this because it doesn't really bother me, I love this forum and the members, I was just stating my observations as the poll intended. :thumbsup:

Were not saying we need to drop the F bomb all the time, but a little leniency would be nice. I think what has got some people going here is the statement "what if your kids read it" I know thats what got me going... But once I made my point and Dylan erased it, I gave up...

Now Comon guys, lets all sit by a camp fire and sing Kumbaya :grouphug:

I guess you just notice certain things more when your views are different than the norm here. :cheers: I don't want to cause a big deal over this because it doesn't really bother me, I love this forum and the members, I was just stating my observations as the poll intended. :thumbsup:

Well said, but there's nothing wrong if someone wants to talk about their beliefs either. Like any thread, if you don't like the subject matter or the person that started it, just stay out. My parents told me long ago, if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. This saying is lost on many.

Too many people nowadays like to tell it as it is. That's good in some ways, but it's also a good way to alienate people.

My parents told me long ago, if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. This saying is lost on many.

Poppycock! My opinion matters more than anyone elses on everything and everyone should agree with me or be forced to listen to my ranting on the subject until they do!! THE UNIVERSE REVOLVES AROUND ME!!

/sarcasm

Poppycock! My opinion matters more than anyone elses on everything and everyone should agree with me or be forced to listen to my ranting on the subject until they do!! THE UNIVERSE REVOLVES AROUND ME!!

/sarcasm

I have seen your photoshop skills so I am going to have to go ahead and agree with you out of fear.

Well said, but there's nothing wrong if someone wants to talk about their beliefs either. Like any thread, if you don't like the subject matter or the person that started it, just stay out. My parents told me long ago, if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. This saying is lost on many.

Too many people nowadays like to tell it as it is. That's good in some ways, but it's also a good way to alienate people.

I completely agree. But then again if most people could simple ignore subject matter they don't like, we wouldn't be having a discussion on censorship now would we? ;)

I completely agree. But then again if most people could simple ignore subject matter they don't like, we wouldn't be having a discussion on censorship now would we? ;)

Wouldn't THAT be nice! :willy:

Well said, but there's nothing wrong if someone wants to talk about their beliefs either. Like any thread, if you don't like the subject matter or the person that started it, just stay out.

that can apply to a thread about a rainbow and candy and beautiful puppies... or a thread about how much someone hated a movie, while using words that are not "family oriented" to describe why they don't like said movie.

... if most people could simple ignore subject matter they don't like, we wouldn't be having a discussion on censorship

Archived