Customer Service 866.965.0400

dorfmac

Question

Have a vehicle to work on that has received the Auto Armor paint/interior protection. Was looking for insight on how to care for and maintain. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure some others have a good idea of what it is/entails. Thanks.

4 answers to this question

It is essentially just a sealant like what Adam's offers.

Dealerships offer services like this and they are essentially a scam. They charge several hundred dollars to apply the "paint protection" which entails them putting a sealant on your paint that you could have just purchased and done for $30. They then put some sort of warranty on it. 

So basically, care for it like normal paint and how it is demonstrated in the adams instructional videos!

Better to look for any paperwork and warranty info, most likely a scam but if the consumer paid for it they will think it was an investment. I've seen this product in a video and of coarse they set the panel on fire to show the power of the sealant. A Google search will give you all the info you need.

Edited by vobro

It is essentially just a sealant like what Adam's offers.

Dealerships offer services like this and they are essentially a scam. They charge several hundred dollars to apply the "paint protection" which entails them putting a sealant on your paint that you could have just purchased and done for $30. They then put some sort of warranty on it. 

So basically, care for it like normal paint and how it is demonstrated in the adams instructional videos!

Thanks, just wanted to make sure. I wasn't sure if the sealant was like what Adam's offers or if it was more like a CQuartz or some other ceramic coating.

I'm not aware of many dealers offering actual coatings, especially in house. They certainly wouldn't do it for the price many include these packages for considering an average coating install by a authorized installer and backed with a warranty cost $1000-$1500 on average.

Auto armor specifically I have had my hands on thanks to a friend who was forced to apply it at a dealership when he was detailing for them. The ingredients included water, mineral spirits, kaolin clay, petroleum distillates and stoddard solvent... these are also the ingredients found paint glazes and cleaning waxes sold at the autoparts store.

The truth is the value in these things isn't what they apply... its the warranty (effectively an insurance policy). The dealer won't typically cover all the specifics so read the fine print. Usually it says no polishing, waxing or sealing on your own. It also typically requires you to go back at a regular interval for a refresh of the 'paint protection' in order to keep the warranty intact.

In many cases they're banking on you missing that window or not being aware of it so they can void the policy. Not all dealers are scumbags, just the ones that sell these programs and don't take the time to properly explain it to the customer for what it really is.