Customer Service 866.965.0400

after stripe removal 2017 Camaro

divrdown

Question

I just picked up my 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS and it had everything I wanted and white stripes that I didnt.

Anyway removed the stripes, took my time and they came off very easily. Used a little spray from a body shop to remove the glue residue. 
So now I used all 3 steps of my Adams polishing kit the green, orange, and white with the correct pad used the orange a couple of times where the stripe line was everything looks great. Except I can still see the fine line where the stripe was in just the right LED light.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have used the Adams product and love it. But I am not sure about using anything more aggressive on the paint. Car did sit outside for quite sometime (build date of 07-16) before I picked it up.
My goal is I have the Adams ceramic coating kit and want to use it. But I know if I can see the line now I will be able to see it after I apply the coating.
suggestions?
Thanks

5 answers to this question

It's the clear coat, the strips left an impression on the clear. It may or may not disappear over time. You might want to see if sanding could make it vanish, but I'd leave it alone for now and see what happens

Id go down to a 3" microfiber pad or smaller if you can. Then work a small area with heavy correcting compound. Just be careful because you dont want to grind off too much clear. 

With sanding it is almost impossible to sand off the elevated part, without touching the lower area (if that makes any sense). In other words its going to sand evenly if done by hand, and the line will still be visible no mater how much you sand. 

Sweet ride, Have you let the car sit in the hot sun for a few days after you removed the stripes? If not, do so, it will help the paint shrink as I call it and if not then I would go the color sanding route as others have suggested. If You coat the car you will still be able to see the lines from the decals. I would defiantly let it sit in the sun a few days first. Because the build date was fairly recently.

OK.  I can do the paint correction and buffing but I am not brave enough to try the wet sanding in such a large area.  I can only see them on the metal surface with the LED light , the spoiler and front fascia didn't leave the lines.

I went ahead and did the coating and they are still there but only if you know where to look (my OCD maybe).  I have had a few people look for the imperfections and they couldn't find them.  Will see how the ceramic coating holds up and then if need be will take it to a pro in the spring for deeper cut.

Also I found a few spots where I didn't level / buff off the coating as I applied it, will have to try and buff those down now.

thanks 

Green, Orange, and White? With the Green being in the mix is it Severe Swirl Remover? Those polishes are, I believe, three generations of his ago and would be pretty old. If they were left to take extreme temperature swings since you'd gotten them, or even exposed to too much sun light they may not be performing like they did when new.

As stated above, with Adam's new system I'd recommend using the Heavy Correcting Compound on the Blue Microfiber Pad until your satisfied then move through the next two polishes to remove the marring from the previous; Paint Correcting Polish/Orange Foam Pad followed up with the Paint Finishing Polish/White Foam Pad.

I removed the black satin stripes from my daughter's five year old 2012 Ashen Gray Metallic Camaro this past spring and there are still some faint lines from where they were. Her car sits outside 24/7/365 and the stripes would get hot in the sun, it appears they had actually melted themselves into the clear. With it being a daily driver it's no big deal. The lines aren't very visible unless you're looking for them and she can live with it.

If your stripes hadn't done what my daughter's had, exposure to the sun may blend them back to the surrounding color over time.