Customer Service 866.965.0400

First post and I need the collective brain trusts help!

JonDaddy82

Question

Hello!

Recently purchased a new 2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 in Cyber Gray, and decided to remove the C O L O R A D O and MASSIVE bowtie emblems on the tailgate. I was able to use some very basic compound and wax on the Colorado lettering, and where it used to be is very hard to see, but where the bowtie was is clearly visible. It's like they put them on when the paint was still wet. This is on a new truck with 500 miles on the ODO and it left the factory only a few weeks ago so it hasn't sat around on the lot long. 

What Adams products and procedures should I used to make this go away? 

post-16589-0-40639700-1504653904_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

When you said that you used compound, was that with a machine polisher, or by hand? 

The tailgate may have been polished prior to delivery, and the clear coat behind the lettering and emblems did not get polished.

You might also try come BG prior to machine polishing, just in case you are seeing something on top of the clear coat, and not a difference in the clear coat itself.

If you can feel the outline, and it feels raise, then I will double-down on my assumption that the tailgate was previously polished.

To fix this you will need to machine polish the areas that were behind the emblems to blend the clear coat into the surrounding areas.  This will need to be done with a dual-action polisher like the Swirl Killer.

Unfortunately, polishing by hand will not be effective, and the 10" buffer you used is really just a "residue remover".  It does not have the power to really do much correction.

You also need to be careful on the areas of clear coat that were not behind the emblems.  If you can feel an actual ridge where the emblems were, then that means that a good portion of the clear coat surrounding the emblems was already removed, so it is now thinner so you need to be careful not to polish through it and into the actual paint.

Since it is a new truck, I would suggest asking the dealer about this issue, and see if they might have done some paint correction on the tailgate.

Unfortunately the dealer is 5 hours away, and won't be of much help. Quite naturally the dealer response will be: "had you left the truck in its factory configuration you wouldn't have a problem". I've also noticed some raised clear around the Colorado tailgate lettering, which leads me to believe the paint was no where near cured/hardened before they applied the emblems.

I own a Porter Cable 7242XP, would that be effective? I really don't want to have to purchase another polishing tool if at all possible.

Is there another dealer nearby that might be able to help? I agree with thewolf and would be very careful when polishing uneven clears. Usually what happens is the soft pad will polish both the high and low evenly, making your thin side even thinner. It wont remove clear only from the high side. I would try with finishing polish first and a very soft pad to see if it helps. If it still looks the same, chances are a heavier compound wont work either. 

Yes you can use your Porter cable to get the job done. Do you own a set of adams polishes? Make sure when polishing you keep the machine moving in a cross hatch pattern. This way you have less chance of burning your clear coating. Also let it sit in the sun a few days.

Unfortunately the dealer is 5 hours away, and won't be of much help. Quite naturally the dealer response will be: "had you left the truck in its factory configuration you wouldn't have a problem". I've also noticed some raised clear around the Colorado tailgate lettering, which leads me to believe the paint was no where near cured/hardened before they applied the emblems.

I own a Porter Cable 7242XP, would that be effective? I really don't want to have to purchase another polishing tool if at all possible.

I had the same on my Sierra, it was a residue that remained even after residue removers and claying. With my few year old truck I thought it was just a gathering of contaminates but since yours is new that probably doesn't make sense.  I got mine off by using a drill and relatively aggressive pad and polish.  It didn't swirl that bad actually and it did take it off.  I'll be buying full paint correction equipment next year and I'll take care of the swirls then.