Customer Service 866.965.0400

ceramic boost, had it a while now, question

enoch7fa

Question

ok we've had ceramic boost a while now.  i got 2 bottles in mystery boxes, one is unopened.  ok everyone what's the verdict?  talking to people without ceramic coating.  do you still work into your routine? have you stop using it?  do you swear by it now? anyone experiment with it? any pictures?  does it give shine? how long is protection on car paint? is it part of your layering?  is it " Hey cedric you need to use this stuff!!" or " dont waste your time other things give better protection and shine more"  tell me bout your ceramic boost experimentation. answer all or some of my questions, chime in everyone, adams people also 

12 answers to this question

That's a lot of questions! :blink:

Some good discussion in this thread that may answer several of them. I'll sum up my thoughts, though. And I won't be at all surprised if others disagree. I've only coated trim and the Boost works great to maintain it. For the rest of my maintenance routine, HGG is without a doubt my go-to.

The Boost will certainly add shine. But its quirks (for non-coated surfaces), like not playing well with glass and that it can be finicky to apply, outweigh the benefit and it's not a normal part of my detail process.

Oh, and the Boost offers protection that lasts several months. So longevity of it is a plus. But I like applying HGG so the fact it's more often doesn't bother me.

I agree with Chris above.

On an uncoated car, I think it's unnecessary to use it over say H2O GG which is proven, easy, and adds lots of shine and also will give you a couple months of protection.  I have not used Ceramic Boost, but it's just about the only product I haven't ordered from Adam's because of all of the info I've read.  I pretty much read every thread on the Ceramic Boost subject here and while it works and does add considerable shine and leave the paint slick, it's behaviors are somewhat odd, it can be a pain to apply, could result in streaking, and is actually a bit sticky/grabby until it cures on the finish for a few hours.  Plus it can't be used on glass, and it's more expensive and the list goes on but I digress.  Basically, it's for coated cars.  Making it work on uncoated cars can be done.  But why not just use a product that was made for that (aka H2O GG)? 

On my white truck, a fresh coating of H2O GG leaves the paint and chrome stunningly shiny and glossy.  I couldn't ask for more.  It's immediately slick and beads for at least a month (longest I went in the winter without applying again but I'm sure it'd go for 2 months or more).  Plus I can hit my trim, glass, wheels, paint, etc. all in one shot.  Wet or dry. 

You have two bottles of it, try it out on your daily driver before you start using it on customers cars. See how the application process goes and how YOU like the shine/slickness.  You may love it.  

I’ll say this...hey Cedric...you need to change that font.  That’s rough on the eyes brotha. Almost left this thread because of it, LOL ;-)

I’ll add this to what James touched on a bit...useability. If I didn’t have coated cars (and now the ceramic wax), I’d never touch Boost. Hands down my least enjoyable product to use.  But, it does the job! 

Wanted to talk about my recent experiences with CB.   Last year I bought it,  wasn’t a huge fan, liked GnG better, so I gave it away.  For some reason I wanted to try it again this year, and I like it much better.  

So in the past it seemed to streak a lot, and took a lot of time and effort to work with and buff.

Now...I spray into the towel, work it on the paint, and it works great!  I’m really liking it.  

So yesterday, I washed and dried my truck.  Later in the evening I did some GnG dry application, and today I used CB.  1 or 2 sprays into the towel ( I strongly recommend the twist loop weave type towel, like Adam’s glass towel or the new super plush drying towel).  This type of towel, makes quick work of the spreading/buffing process.  The CB label also says it can be used on glass, contrary to what we always talk about on here, so I tried and had zero problems.  In addition the CB label also mentions a wet application, I will have to try this next time.

Any other thoughts and experiences please jump in...

Cedric, perhaps try this or the printed wet application, and get back to us.

EDIT/UPDATE

After writing the above, I went out and hit my wifes car...sprayed CB in the towel first, worked great,  then I sprayed some straight on the paint and had the smear/buffing issue.  Not sure why, but into the towel makes huge difference.  

Also did my ipad and iphone, no issues.

Edited by Nickfire20

1 hour ago, Nickfire20 said:

Wanted to talk about my recent experiences with CB.   Last year I bought it,  wasn’t a huge fan, liked GnG better, so I gave it away.  For some reason I wanted to try it again this year, and I like it much better.  

So in the past it seemed to streak a lot, and took a lot of time and effort to work with and buff.

Now...I spray into the towel, work it on the paint, and it works great!  I’m really liking it.  

So yesterday, I washed and dried my truck.  Later in the evening I did some GnG dry application, and today I used CB.  1 or 2 sprays into the towel ( I strongly recommend the twist loop weave type towel, like Adam’s glass towel or the new super plush drying towel).  This type of towel, makes quick work of the spreading/buffing process.  The CB label also says it can be used on glass, contrary to what we always talk about on here, so I tried and had zero problems.  In addition the CB label also mentions a wet application, I will have to try this next time.

Any other thoughts and experiences please jump in...

Cedric, perhaps try this or the printed wet application, and get back to us.

EDIT/UPDATE

After writing the above, I went out and hit my wifes car...sprayed CB in the towel first, worked great,  then I sprayed some straight on the paint and had the smear/buffing issue.  Not sure why, but into the towel makes huge difference.  

Also did my ipad and iphone, no issues.

Interesting, Nick. The product website and bottle I have both say not to use on glass. They're known to tweek formulas, though, so maybe that's what happened. But that's somewhat of a big change I'm surprised we didn't catch before now. When did you get your bottle?

Definitely a new label/instructions, and quite possibly new formula. Good to know, Nick, thanks! Might be time to pick up another bottle to try.

Here's the old label instructions for reference. Got it about a year ago when it first came out.

27533.thumb.jpeg.3eb31a646302d33aca5e299016fd79a4.jpeg

Ok gotcha.

I wonder about a curing time,  it rained about 20min, after I was done, and there is a lot of streaking and some looks runny.  Definitely was not the case when I was done the application, but totally understandable since a coating needs 24 hrs to cure.

I've seen a great video of a detailer applying a product that's VERY similar to Ceramic Boost, possibly called Reload.  The guy sprays the Reload into a microfiber applicator pad (very similar to an Adam's gray one) applies it like a Ceramic Coating, so ~2x2 area, cross hatching application, then he takes a microfiber that's LIGHTLY spritzed with just distilled water, and knocks it down with the very lightly damp side and flips and buffs.  Comes out perfect.  Reload is also known for the exact things described with Ceramic Boost, streaking if done improperly, high spots, runs, etc.  But if applied properly, it's an amazing product just like CB.  I would post the video but it really shows/talks about a lot of other brand's products so I'll refrain.  

5 hours ago, LSX Maestro said:

I've seen a great video of a detailer applying a product that's VERY similar to Ceramic Boost, possibly called Reload.  The guy sprays the Reload into a microfiber applicator pad (very similar to an Adam's gray one) applies it like a Ceramic Coating, so ~2x2 area, cross hatching application, then he takes a microfiber that's LIGHTLY spritzed with just distilled water, and knocks it down with the very lightly damp side and flips and buffs.  Comes out perfect.  Reload is also known for the exact things described with Ceramic Boost, streaking if done improperly, high spots, runs, etc.  But if applied properly, it's an amazing product just like CB.  I would post the video but it really shows/talks about a lot of other brand's products so I'll refrain.  

This is awesome!   I just did it.  Started with waterless wash, coating prep, then applied CB, allowed to dry, moist buff, and then did a second coat.   I did this on just 1 rear fender as a test, we will see how things go.

Thanks for the tips, I am loving the new Ceramic Boost!