Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hi, First Post

DaFunkyFish

Greetings:

I just stopped by to say hello. I do not know about detailing and wanted to try a little hand waxing before buying or thinking about trying a DA. I will probably post my plan and a pic or two of my used cars finish to see it my plan will work.

I have a used 2007 Kia Sportage and wanted to take a stab at a little detailing. I never used a DA or waxed by hand before. I will post s few pics of the ride that I took earlier at sundown. Would appreciate if someone can take a look and let me know how the finish looks (not too UV damaged?) so I can them have an idea if my plan will work.

-Rinse
-2 Bucket Wash
-McKee’s Decon, Rinse (vids)
-McKee’s Clay Bar, Rinse(vids)
-Dry
-Adams Paint Sealant (by hand)
-Adams Americana Wax (by hand)

Does my plan seem ok for a newbie?

Will doing the sealant both by hand be wise?

Will it be a long challenge by hand?

If I recall the Adams Paint Sealant and Americana can be used in some sunlight. Does this also mean it can be used in sunlight if applied with a DA?

I purchased 2 yellow hand pads - is the yellow hand pad good to apply the Paint Sealant with? I didn’t realize there were different colors / types.

Will the Paint Sealant and Americana again trim should I be a little sloppy with applying?

i guess that’s all for now - any advice is greatly appreciated!

8DA09570-C159-411D-BD92-6677EB64C5C8.jpeg

F5E3981F-74D3-4434-A397-0C78F2B49555.jpeg

552BFBE8-C06B-4DDD-BBE4-8252D5C3A8DC.jpeg

178E5E3B-3A6A-4FC5-8ACC-41DA3600C80C.jpeg

20054155-FF4C-448D-87E5-4B17398BD09A.jpeg

Welcome, John! You've come to the right place to get started and learn.

Overall your plan looks pretty solid. When you're ready to try polishing, feel free to ask any more questions you have. Polishing will also help bring out some shine you won't otherwise get by skipping it.

Now to your questions:

Does my plan seem ok for a newbie?
Yep, I'd say so. Only things I'd add are: 1) after strip wash, apply VRT (if you have it) to all the trim - it'll make removing any clay, sealant and wax residue that you WILL get on it much easier later, 2) ensure the clay residue is removed, using either another strip wash or 50/50 isopropyl alcohol wipedown, 3) be careful while coating as you could cause some marring that won't be removed without polishing, and 4) have a cold one ready for when you're done!

Will doing the sealant both by hand be wise?
Sure. Just be sure you apply in a thin, even layer.

Will it be a long challenge by hand?
No, but a machine polisher would make it go faster and help ensure a more even coating.

If I recall the Adams Paint Sealant and Americana can be used in some sunlight. Does this also mean it can be used in sunlight if applied with a DA?
Yes to PS, but I prefer to work indoors. Can't vouch for the wax, I don't use it.

I purchased 2 yellow hand pads - is the yellow hand pad good to apply the Paint Sealant with? I didn’t realize there were different colors / types.
While the grey MF applicator will also work for by hand, you can use the yellow (or red). It's soft enough and has no cutting power.

Will the Paint Sealant and Americana again trim should I be a little sloppy with applying?

It won't permanently stain it, but I recommend you apply VRT first. If you don't have the VRT and get some sealant or wax on the trim, use either a bit of APC or TRC to remove it. Just take care to not get either on the paint as it'll remove what you just applied. Spraying directly on a towel works.

Falcaineer,

Thank you for the detailed response. 

Curious to know at or after which pet of my procedure should I use the VRT. Does the below seem like I added the VRY part in correctly?

-Rinse
-2 Bucket Wash
-McKee’s Decon, Rinse
-McKee’s Clay Bar, Rinse
-VRT / Dry
-Adams Paint Sealant
-Adams Americana Wax

I got the idea of my procedure from watching this video. Did not know of Adams products until after purchasing the McKee’s.

——————-

Falcaineer,

Curious to know at or after which pet of my procedure should I use the VRT. Does the below seem like I added the VRY part in correctly?

-Rinse
-2 Bucket Wash
-McKee’s Decon, Rinse
-McKee’s Clay Bar, Rinse
-VRT / Dry
-Adams Paint Sealant
-Adams Americana Wax

37 minutes ago, Rich said:

VRT is for Vinyl, Rubber, and Tires, not paint.  Just clarifying.  So it doesn't really matter when you put it on.  I do my tires, etc. last. 

Rich,

I got links to Adams VRT and TRC open on my phone and will probably order over the weekend to add to the collection. Both products look very interesting.

8 hours ago, DaFunkyFish said:

I got the idea of my procedure from watching this video. Did not know of Adams products until after purchasing the McKee’s.

——————-

Falcaineer,

-Rinse
-2 Bucket Wash
-McKee’s Decon, Rinse
-McKee’s Clay Bar, Rinse
-VRT / Dry
-Adams Paint Sealant
-Adams Americana Wax

I'd apply it before you clay to help in case the bar hits the trim.

12 hours ago, falcaineer said:

I'd apply it before you clay to help in case the bar hits the trim.

If this is the case should I then fully dry the car after the decon / rinse, then apply the VRT, then clay/rinse/dry before any exterior sealants/waxes?

2 hours ago, DaFunkyFish said:

If this is the case should I then fully dry the car after the decon / rinse, then apply the VRT, then clay/rinse/dry before any exterior sealants/waxes?

No, you don't have to, nor would I since the water just adds that much more lubricity for the clay. I would, however, dry the areas you initially apply the VRT, such as trim around the windows, and just for now (until you cover it all at the end of the detail) edges of the trim closest to the paint. When you're all done with sealant, aax, etc., wipe off any residue and touch up the VRT as necessary to finish off the shine!

Friendly tip - You may want to start posting additional questions in other areas of the forum specific to that portion of the detail. That will likely increase views and allow for more inputs from more experienced/smarter people than me!

On 4/20/2018 at 6:28 PM, Rich said:

VRT is for Vinyl, Rubber, and Tires, not paint.  Just clarifying.  So it doesn't really matter when you put it on.  I do my tires, etc. last. 

Rich,

I got links to Adams VRT and TRC open on my phone and will probably order over the weekend to add to the collection. Both products look very interesting.

2 bucket wash with Adams Car Shampoo today. Looking forward to getting my grand idea done when I get my wash/dry workflow down and I have the time, most likely Memorial Day Weekend I will go all out. 

CA2F79C4-C2C7-498D-9610-B420A6C41DF4.jpeg

C184B8E2-6171-43A1-B310-DDAA408B0E03.jpeg