Customer Service 866.965.0400

how to polish single stage paint - 1988 mercedes

Dinomax

Question

i have a black 1988 Mercedes 560sl. I believe that it has single stage paint - but I am not sure. It has minor swirls and minor scratches that I would like to remove. I would like it to have a wet look when completed. What steps and products should I use to restore the paint. I do have a Da polisher.

Please help advise me. Any advice is welcome !

5 answers to this question

Same process as working on a base coat/clear coat, but plan for more pads.  Check out this thread - Single stage detailing questions for lots of good info.

Also there are other options (cleaning and hydrating) you can try before polishing do a internet search for "single stage paint megs number 7". 

Easiest way to test if it's single stage paint is as follows. 

Wipe a small area with detail spray so it is free of surface dirt, then blot a little polish on the paint and rub with a microfiber towel. If the microfiber towel has color transfer then you're working with single stage paint. 

In my experience, bring a lot of pads to do that car. Especially a bigger car such as a 560SL Mercedes. 

I did not need as many pads as I originally thought doing the Ford Fairmont actually. Being that I did not have compressed air available to me, what I did to clean the pads in between sections was hold a cheap microfiber towel on the face of the pad and turn the polisher on, on speed 1. You then rub  the towel over the face of the pad and a lot of paint/residue will transfer to the towel. It is a good way to clean pads in between section passes if you don't have compressed air. 

I used about 6 pads for the fairmont because the hood was flat black (didn't polish it) and the roof was vinyl. 

Sorry I didn't pay attention to the year/make when I read this earlier.  I did a 1988 560SL a few months ago, in a gold tone, and it was base coat/clear coat.  This one had not been cared for correctly (rarely, if ever, waxed), and the hood had clear coat failure.  I used a cleaner wax on the hood, and medium polish with orange correcting pads on the remainder.  This one a hard top that I cleaned up too.  I also used the cleaner wax on all the chrome pieces.