Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Ride, questions about product and proper steps

Tbone76

Question

Hey guys,

outside of the “new members” section, this is my first post.

getting a new vehicle and picking it up in Ohio and driving back to NC.

once I’m home, the plan is to detail her.  I don’t have a polisher so this task will all be by hand.

Supplies I have or are to arrive soon:

Shampoo, detail spray, APC, Iron Remover, Clay, Wheel Cleaner, Tire Shine, Glass Cleaner, Revive Polish, Paint Sealant, Brillant Glaze, and Americana Wax.

Vehicle is black and will be my daily driver.

with products I mentioned, I had this as my thoughts for steps.  If there is a better way, I’m all ears.

Rinse

Iron Remover

Wash

Clay

Revive Polish

Paint Sealant

Brillant Glaze

Americana

Tire shine

Wow, typing this makes the task seem daunting!

Another question, is there a wait time for some of these products/steps, or can I go from one step to the next without waiting?

I know this was long winded, but I do appreciate all the help, and advice.

Thanks,

Tony

10 answers to this question

It is daunting especially if it’s a large vehicle. Like a Yukon or big truck.  I’m new to this also but been around these forums for the last year and I have gotten my Camaro looking real nice and ended up putting a ceramic coat on it myself.  When the wife bought her yukon it became a two person detail and that Yukon took us 13 hours over two days to finish with a ceramic coating.

your steps look good to me except I would strip wash to start - I know a lot of,people say it really doesn’t make a difference but it did with the wife’s Yukon. Her car had 6 miles on it and whatever was on the paint or the dealership did to it was awful.

here is the routine we just used after getting great advice here on the forum

foam wash

strip wash

iron remover

clay while wet with detail spray

towel dry

revive

vrt to trim

prep

ceramic coat

Of course you would go from the prep to a glaze then the sealant.

Its been mentioned on here many times to go BG before wax or sealant but I’ve seen both ways. PS then the BG then the Americana. 

Good luck whatever ever you do and post some pics. What kind of vehicle is it?

It’s. 2019 Chevy Traverse.  Had a 2015 Mercedes CLA 250, but needed more space for family and all my golf crap.

if I wasn’t such a control freak and paranoid it wasn’t going to get done right, I’d let the wife or even my father help, but if a step gets messed up etc, I’d rather it be all my fault.

20 minutes ago, Tbone76 said:

Are there any wait times after application of products like paint sealant, glaze, hand polish, etc?

got the ride safely home from Ohio, now hopefully the weekend weather will cooperate so I can detail her.

It delends really on the product. What products specifically are you asking about?

26 minutes ago, Tbone76 said:

Adams paint sealant, brilliant glaze, revive hand polish, and Americana wax

Paint sealant is approximately one hour between layers.

Brilliant Glaze has no cure time. 

Revive is a polish, so no cure time. 

And Americana can buff once it hazes. 

15 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Paint sealant is approximately one hour between layers.

Brilliant Glaze has no cure time. 

Revive is a polish, so no cure time. 

And Americana can buff once it hazes. 

Is there a benefit to multiple layers of paint sealant? If so, how much life does each layer add and what is the max number of layers?

8 minutes ago, Bscott94 said:

Is there a benefit to multiple layers of paint sealant? If so, how much life does each layer add and what is the max number of layers?

No. One layer of sealant is all you need. But you need an hour between the next step...glaze or wax. 

27 minutes ago, Bscott94 said:

@shane@detailedreflections has you covered, but here's an article that addresses more about layering, along with other great info.