Customer Service 866.965.0400

Durability of spray ceramic coating

Z06Seal

Hey guys,

I'm posting this here because I want to make a discussion about this, instead of putting it in detailing....

I just watched few youtube videos where their ceramic spray is put to test, and it does pretty bad. I won't post them here because well... I don't want to get banned lol.

I like youtube because they are independent youtubers doing their own reviews to test products. so when something fails, it's out there for everyone to see. and comments are not biased towards anyone either.

I came here knowing I will get a biased answer, but I've been using adam's for over 5 years now, so I don't want to give up on them so easy.

How has your durability been with the spray ceramic coat? Have you put it to test? what kind of weather has it seen? 

I hate to say it, but I'm thinking about returning it. It would be my 1st ever adam's product i'd return. The independent reviews are very bad for it once it gets exposed to some chemicals, or high spots easily removed by just water after curing for 3 days.

again... please don't take this as me trashing the company. I'm simply asking you guys your experience with it and it's durability. If I do return it, I will get the Cquartz UK and use that to coat my car.

Thanks...

Edited by Z06Seal

I have not seen any of those videos u mentioned but i see you are considering the cq uk.  Wouldnt it be best to compare Adams Cermic coating to cq uk and not CSC?

Adams has mentioned that you will probably have to apply it a few times a year.    CSC is meant for a quick application.     I Applied Adams CC to my cars in May of last year...so far so good 🤞🏼

My main thought on the new Ceramic Spray Coating is it involves the same prep work that one must perform before applying Adam’s Ceramic Paint Coating.  Decontaminate, correct and prep all surfaces.  The whole preparation process is key and IMO more difficult/labor intensive than applying the actual coating.  So, once all that time is taken, why not take a small amount of extra time and apply Adam’s ‘regular’ Ceramic Paint Coating?  

Maybe I can see the CSC being good for someone who already has Adam’s CPC on their vehicle, it’s a year or more old and has some minor swirls that someone would like to correct.  They decontaminate if they want, use a very light polish to correct once again, removing some but not all the coating and then freshen up the coating with CSC.  

That’s just my take on where CSC would maybe fit in for me.  I say maybe because my vehicles are coated and with cautious washing methods and using good maintenance products, I’m plenty happy with where my finish is.  I should probably decontaminate by this point, but overall, it looks great and the very few swirls that got imparted are not really noticeable especially after washing the car and while drying, misting some detail spray on the still wet paint.

Edited by Parad0x

I’m with the others. You’re comparing apples to oranges and expecting the same thing. 

Ceramic spray is an easy application that leaves a thin coating. It is great for maintenance of coatings in my opinion. It is not a replacement for a true ceramic. 

The prep is the same to achieve a good finish. The quality of the finish is a result of good surface prep and polishing. Not the product itself. The product is the lock on the finish. 

When you say the ceramic spray is put to the test, what are the parameters and measurement of success/failure?  I ask because I haven’t seen the videos, so it’s difficult to quantify their results. 

I’m going to ask a different question...what are your goals for a product/finish?  That becomes easier to see what fits for you once that’s defined. 

I only mentioned the cquartz because I can just go get it locally today. I haven't checked any reviews of the adam's one online. Also price difference. and V1 adams and v3 cquartz.

I got the CSC because it sounded like something that would last few months, and it is a ceramic based coating afterall. the videos show proper prep, and they spray APC or iron remover on it to test chemical resistance and the coating is totally removed. I would expect it to have some kind of durability. Adams made it sound like a 9h coating that will last for about 6 months.

That's just my disappointment with it. It doesn't act much better than the meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax spray it seems.

and as for what I want for product/finish?

I'm looking for easy application (spray on sounds great), easy removal and at least 6 months of protection.

Right now I use adam's paint sealant, and that gets me about 3 months with h20 g&g spray on between washes. Was looking to just replace the paint sealant with CSC and ceramic boost.

just search youtube and look for reviews. Haven't seen many (if any) positive ones from more known detail youtubers

1 hour ago, Parad0x said:

My main thought on the new Ceramic Spray Coating is it involves the same prep work that one must perform before applying Adam’s Ceramic Paint Coating.  Decontaminate, correct and prep all surfaces.  The whole preparation process is key and IMO more difficult/labor intensive than applying the actual coating.  So, once all that time is taken, why not take a small amount of extra time and apply Adam’s ‘regular’ Ceramic Paint Coating?  

Maybe I can see the CSC being good for someone who already has Adam’s CPC on their vehicle, it’s a year or more old and has some minor swirls that someone would like to correct.  They decontaminate if they want, use a very light polish to correct once again, removing some but not all the coating and then freshen up the coating with CSC.  

That’s just my take on where CSC would maybe fit in for me.  I say maybe because my vehicles are coated and with cautious washing methods and using good maintenance products, I’m plenty happy with where my finish is.  I should probably decontaminate by this point, but overall, it looks great and the very few swirls that got imparted are not really noticeable especially after washing the car and while drying, misting some detail spray on the still wet paint.

You make a good point. I guess my thing was... "oh! easier to apply, it cost less and works ALMOST as well!" That's why I got it I guess...

you're totally right though. the main PITA is the prep (wash, clay, polish, wipe down). the application is the easy part... I should have just gone with the regular one, and not the spray. damn me. I still feel like I got fooled. lol

If you don't already have a slew of other Adam's products you need to use up and since you already have the Spray Coating, I think you'll be happy doing all the necessary prep work and then applying the Spray Coating and doing the following: If you don't have tons of detail spray already, consider getting their new Ceramic Waterless as a replacement to DS for use as a drying agent on wet paint while drying after a wash.  I'd use that every wash while drying instead of Detail Spray.  Once a month, I'd replace the Ceramic Waterless while drying with Ceramic Boost.  It's only an early guesstimate but I think doing this, you'll still see great beading and protection after a year if not a few months more from the spray coating.  Sure you'd do even better with CPC but since you have the CSC I think this regimen will still make you happy.

Also, I didn't mention their new Ceramic Wash + Coat but once you use up all your existing car shampoo, switch to the Wash + Coat.  

And hey, if all else fails, try trading the CPC in the trade forum for some Boost 2.0 and buy the CPC when it eventually qualifies for a discount.  Then you'll have some CB 2.0 ready to go after you apply the CPC.

I only mentioned the cquartz because I can just go get it locally today. I haven't checked any reviews of the adam's one online. Also price difference. and V1 adams and v3 cquartz.

I got the CSC because it sounded like something that would last few months, and it is a ceramic based coating afterall. the videos show proper prep, and they spray APC or iron remover on it to test chemical resistance and the coating is totally removed. I would expect it to have some kind of durability. Adams made it sound like a 9h coating that will last for about 6 months.

I still have like half a gallon of the waterless. i wanna finish that before I get another waterless lol. I also have over a gallon of detail spray (I use that alot lol).

I just purchased another brand wash/wax. I need to finish that before I get the ceramic wash lol.

I asked adam's for a refund for the CSC. I might get something else for it.

1 hour ago, Z06Seal said:

That's just my disappointment with it. It doesn't act much better than the meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax spray it seems.

and as for what I want for product/finish?

I'm looking for easy application (spray on sounds great), easy removal and at least 6 months of protection.

Right now I use adam's paint sealant, and that gets me about 3 months with h20 g&g spray on between washes. Was looking to just replace the paint sealant with CSC and ceramic boost.

just search youtube and look for reviews. Haven't seen many (if any) positive ones from more known detail youtubers

It sounds like you already asked for a refund, which is good I think since it truly sounds like the product isn’t what you expected it to be. 

The other coating you mentioned is a good one. When shopping prices, break it down to price per milliliter as the bottle sizes may vary. It’s the only true comparison of cost. 

I think part of the issues that arise are misconceptions. It’s “ceramic so it has to be good” type of scenario. Ceramics are very good. However they aren’t perfect. In creating the spray coating, it’s a much thinner application and I would guess a lighter concentration than the true coating. So knowing that, I would automatically adjust my durability assumptions downward. 

You compared it to the Meguiars Hybrid Spray Wax. Ceramic spray coating would function as little more than a spray wax. It’s easy to put down an uneven application of it due to spraying it (try spraying something even and ensuring complete coverage without soaking everything around it). Part of the full ceramic process is slow methodical application. That’s a large part of the success.

I’m also going to add that there are significant differences between consumer grade coatings (those being discussed here) and professional grade coatings. The application is similar but the chemistry is not, and with that they are less forgiving. 

If you want that easy maintenance, apply a true ceramic coating (or have one done) and then it’ll be simple enough to maintain giving you exactly what you want. 

In my opinion (and I realize it’s not marketed this way) the ceramic spray is a better maintenance product than a primary product. Just my two cents on that.

1 hour ago, Z06Seal said:

You make a good point. I guess my thing was... "oh! easier to apply, it cost less and works ALMOST as well!" That's why I got it I guess...

you're totally right though. the main PITA is the prep (wash, clay, polish, wipe down). the application is the easy part... I should have just gone with the regular one, and not the spray. damn me. I still feel like I got fooled. lol

Not every product is going to meet everyone’s expectations. I can tell you we have tried a lot of products and been unimpressed. It’s part of learning. We learn what to do and what not to do...or use in this case. 

At least you know this one isn’t for you!

Yeah, I'm going to get a refund for it. Parad0x is correct. there's alot of prep and that's the hard part (polishing being toughest and my least favorite). After that, it's just properly applying the product without breaking a sweat... that's what I will do.

I guess I got thrown off because of the "1st ever sprayable ceramic coat" just made me think it's "almost" as good, but I think it's far away.

and I wasn't comparing it with the meguiar's ceramic wax spray. others on the internet compare it to this product when they do the this vs that stuff like on youtube, and some other brand. P&S or something. I don't remember now.

17 hours ago, Z06Seal said:

Yeah, I'm going to get a refund for it.

Its likely I am going to do the same.  My experience with Adams original ceramic was not good and thought the spray ceramic sounded easy so ordered a large and small bottle (small for a gift).

The one thing I have always liked about Adams was the instruction that went along with each product.  That really has not happened with the recent ceramics and the changes over the past few months are confusing and hard to follow with little or no explanation for the change.

I have my truck sitting in the shop and am getting ready to wash and claybar it today.  I think I am just going to finish it with some boost until I find a viable replacement. GM is replacing my wheels because of pitting and I was going to ceramic coat them when I picked it up at dealer but think I will go another route as well with the wheels.