Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Car Decon

SgtLip

Question

Hi All,

I purchased a new Toyota Avalon Hybrid over the weekend. It is unfortunately another white car. I can't seem to get away from having a white car.

Anyway, I want to use the Ceramic Spray Coating on the car but figured I better decontaminate first. Do I need to use Iron Remover if I'm going to Clay Bar the car? I can't see any brown spots but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I watched Adam's video for the Iron Remover and he mentioned it is not a replacement for Clay Bar. But I'm not sure if I need to use both.

Next question is what type of Clay Bar should I use? Being a new 2020 I figure the "Fine Grade" clay will suffice. I am also looking at the "Visco Clay Bar" but I don't really understand the difference. Which should I use? Since I am going to use Ceramic Spray, what should I use to lubricate the Clay Bar? I have Detail Spray but since I'll be applying Ceramic I was thinking not to use Detail Spray. But then I'm thinking since I'll be using the Ceramic Surface Prep, that should take care of the residue from the Detail Spray, right?

Then the process would be to wash, dry, apply Surface Prep, apply Ceramic Spray Coating. Should I use Ceramic Boost after applying the Ceramic Spray or is that not necessary at this point? I already have a bunch of the Ceramic Waterless I'll be using routinely with the Boost every 4-6 weeks.

So, do I need to use Iron Remover? Which Clay Bar should I use? Am I correct about the Detail Spray residue being removed by Surface Prep?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0359.thumb.jpg.34d780f2ef2ea1f088c2d333157c77a8.jpg 

29 minutes ago, Scooter Trash said:

I love Brilliant Glaze. I think it is one of their best products💗

I will be getting a bottle later this week.

59 minutes ago, Nickfire20 said:

Ok I’d start low,  try DS or WW.

The car looks really nice

@Nickfire20  Okay, I used the Ceramic Waterless Wash and the exterior of the glass looks pretty nice. 

The interior is still a mess thanks to the crappy job the detailer did at the dealership. I'll get that corrected first part of next week.

Thanks, I think it turned out pretty nice too, for a WHITE car.  @falcaineer  The devil made me say that.  Ha ha. But I'm coming around.

IMG_0436.thumb.jpeg.7340f8750e26f447405f213207a23a3f.jpeg

What, no more yellow Suby!  (Sorry, was on vaca last week and just catching up)  

Photographing white cars requires strong lights and little background glare.  I have posted a few pics of my soon-to-be daughter-in-laws white Toyota, but it appears to be yellow in the halogen lights.

22 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

What, no more yellow Suby!  (Sorry, was on vaca last week and just catching up)  

Photographing white cars requires strong lights and little background glare.  I have posted a few pics of my soon-to-be daughter-in-laws white Toyota, but it appears to be yellow in the halogen lights.

@mc2hill  Hope your vacation was fun. Please tell me you didn't go to Disney World!!! Ha Ha.

No 😢 but the wife and I talked and we traded both the Suby and her Lexus for a new 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. We thought it would save us money since the Suby required premium gas and was averaging 22 MPG. The Lexus was getting around 34 MPG. Our friend has a 2019 and is getting 44 MPG and 53 MPG if he uses pure gas (no ethanol). Plus we eliminated one car from insurance, but we lost our multi-car discount. So that was the thought. I want to pick me up a beater box truck just to drive around town just in case we need a second vehicle.

Since they are new, there aren't that many in stock yet. We found plenty of white ones but no colored ones until after the 4th of November. So I'm stuck with a white one. But it's growing on me. It might take another 15-20 years but there's potential for me to change my mind!!!

I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. Especially with it being my first time doing anything like this. I'm enjoying it so far. I just hope I'll get to be as smart as you and a host of hundreds on this forum. Of course, I'll be learning on one car, so it may take awhile.

18 hours ago, SgtLip said:

@mc2hill  Hope your vacation was fun. Please tell me you didn't go to Disney World!!! Ha Ha.

No 😢 but the wife and I talked and we traded both the Suby and her Lexus for a new 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. We thought it would save us money since the Suby required premium gas and was averaging 22 MPG. The Lexus was getting around 34 MPG. Our friend has a 2019 and is getting 44 MPG and 53 MPG if he uses pure gas (no ethanol). Plus we eliminated one car from insurance, but we lost our multi-car discount. So that was the thought. I want to pick me up a beater box truck just to drive around town just in case we need a second vehicle.

Since they are new, there aren't that many in stock yet. We found plenty of white ones but no colored ones until after the 4th of November. So I'm stuck with a white one. But it's growing on me. It might take another 15-20 years but there's potential for me to change my mind!!!

I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. Especially with it being my first time doing anything like this. I'm enjoying it so far. I just hope I'll get to be as smart as you and a host of hundreds on this forum. Of course, I'll be learning on one car, so it may take awhile.

Nope have not been inside any of the parks for over 10 years.  We do go to their shopping/entertainment/sports facilities a few times a year though.

Sounds like a good plan on going down to 1 car - more room in the garage!  But 'other' car to use when you doing a long detail session. 

Good idea on the beater truck - I have one, but bought it new 20 years ago!