Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which Pad Should I Use

TR6speed

Question

First let me say, I have a C6 Corvette and they have a very hard clear coat but a thin coat.  I have some swirls and small scratches, that I have not been able to remove with the orange pad using the Correction Polish.  Also I have a Porta Cable that I purchased many years ago.  I realize that it is not the best, but it is what I have, so will either of the following pads work on the PC and also which would anyone suggest, the Adams One Step Pad , or the Blue Microfiber Cutting Pad.

3 answers to this question

The Microfiber Pad will probably be the most bite you can. Also, if you don't have any luck by just switching the pads, you may need to step up your polish to the Heavy Correcting Compound or Sprayable Compound may be necessary.

Unfortunately, it will probably just be up to you doing a test section, since your paint is unique to your vehicle and environment.

@Dan@Adams May have some good input with his experience.

The MF cutting pad should work, but you will want the 5.5" pads and matching backing plate.  Not sure if you have down sized to the 5" backing plate, but it allows the Porter Cable to work more efficiently, along with the thin MF pads. 

My experience with Corvettes (C4) are the same as Dan's - you need MF pads to correct them.  

This is the kind of situation where it helps to have a variety of products around. Mixing and matching pads and polished/compounds will achieve all kinds of results. 

Like others said, do a test spot and see what the magic combination is. It takes a mix of experience and trial and error. One of the biggest corrections we did was a four step correction using a different pad and compound/polish for every step. And that was after a complimentary “buff job” from the body shop after a collision. 

Don’t be afraid to play.