Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need some advice...tire barrels

Osok

Question

Since about as long as I can remember looking since having the car for just about a year now I've noticed quite a bit of these brown spots on the inside of my wheels.

I've tried scrubbing them, tried APC, tried GWC, and now have tried each of those with the power stick. It almost looks like its pitting to some extent.

Anyone have any advice on how to get this sort of thing out? Do I need to pull the tires off and hand buff them or something?

Pics..note the brown and brown spots

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

13 answers to this question

Carbon metallic deposits. Caused by a buildup of hot brake dust mixed with water (wet weather driving or water slung out after a wash) and it bonds with the surface. Could also potentially be surface rust from the rotor being slung out, either way you have a metallic rust deposit there.

The best bet would be to pull each wheel and start with full strength APC to break it up as much as possible. Do whatever you can to isolate the cleaner to ONLY the inner barrel and let it soak for a bit if possible.

Give it a good scrub, probably use an old towel or something b/c its gonna trash whatever you decide to use.

Dry then clay it... again, use an old piece of clay b/c this job is going to kill a (if not multiple) bars to complete.

Next you'll want to polish. By hand with the orange side of a flip pad and SHR or you can attempt a 4" focus pad (if you have enough clearance to get the drill in there at a proper angle) Again, get ready to say goodbye to your pads as this will destroy them.

You likely won't need to finish down to FMP and the white pad seeing as its the inner barrel and the finish quality won't be all that important.

I'd recommend a hand applied coat of Machine Superwax to seal it back up then maybe contemplate changing pads out for ceramics (I personally like hawk or posiquiet pads) to limit it from happening in the future.

So you're saying I got my work cut out for me eh?

Well..the good news is, its fixable. Looks like it'll be on my fall/winter weekend list.

And you sir..as always..are a helpful wealth of knowledge!!

So you're saying I got my work cut out for me eh?

Well..the good news is, its fixable. Looks like it'll be on my fall/winter weekend list.

And you sir..as always..are a helpful wealth of knowledge!!

It sounds like a lot of work but really it's not. I had that happen to my wheels on the F150, mainly because it was never cleaned before. I used GWC with a old clay bar. I also had one of those double sided Green and Yellow sponges. The Green side was like of hard and rough for scrubbing.

No... APC is stronger than GWC. Not sure when that started to get confused here on the site, but APC is stronger. The primary difference between the 2 products -

APC targets greases, oils, and things of that nature better. Thats why its great for cleaning rubber where old tire dressing and road grime form a type of slurry on the surface.

GWC is less tough on oils, a more mild overall cleaner, but better suited to removal of brake dust thats settled on the surface. This property makes it better used for regular cleaning as part of your week to week car wash routine. It also foams better when agitated with a brush and is more slick on the surface guarding your wheels from potential marring or swirl marks.

The reason I suggest APC in your case is you're going more after a bonded hard baked rust... while GWC might put a dent in it I think you need the more aggressive approach of the APC to really break it down and loosen it up.

No... APC is stronger than GWC. Not sure when that started to get confused here on the site, but APC is stronger. The primary difference between the 2 products -

APC targets greases, oils, and things of that nature better. Thats why its great for cleaning rubber where old tire dressing and road grime form a type of slurry on the surface.

GWC is less tough on oils, a more mild overall cleaner, but better suited to removal of brake dust thats settled on the surface. This property makes it better used for regular cleaning as part of your week to week car wash routine. It also foams better when agitated with a brush and is more slick on the surface guarding your wheels from potential marring or swirl marks.

The reason I suggest APC in your case is you're going more after a bonded hard baked rust... while GWC might put a dent in it I think you need the more aggressive approach of the APC to really break it down and loosen it up.

Roger that. Thanks for clarifying too because I definitely was under the impression GWC was the stronger of the two. Consider me educated, well at least on that topic.:cheers:

FFKING..most of my work will come with jacking and taking the tires off. I don't have jack stands so i'll have to jack up one wheel take it off clean it put it back on lower, the repeat 3 more times :( That'll probably all take me longer than the cleaning/scrubbing part.

Roger that. Thanks for clarifying too because I definitely was under the impression GWC was the stronger of the two. Consider me educated, well at least on that topic.:cheers:

FFKING..most of my work will come with jacking and taking the tires off. I don't have jack stands so i'll have to jack up one wheel take it off clean it put it back on lower, the repeat 3 more times :( That'll probably all take me longer than the cleaning/scrubbing part.

I had to do the same thing to my wheels and it's a lot of work.

Not to be a stickler but pick up some jack stands. you can get a decent set for 30 bucks and they are much safer. I have seen numerous accidents from guys who said I will just jack it up it will only take a minute. My buddy lost part of his thumb and I see guys drop cars almost every weekend at the track when not using stands.

Not to be a stickler but pick up some jack stands. you can get a decent set for 30 bucks and they are much safer. I have seen numerous accidents from guys who said I will just jack it up it will only take a minute. My buddy lost part of his thumb and I see guys drop cars almost every weekend at the track when not using stands.

:iagree:

jack stands are a most have better be safe than sorry.:2thumbs: