Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black paint question

jub jub

Question

For those of you that have black paint, under what kind of light do you like to view your paint for the best polishing?

I'm currently using a hallogen that I got from Sears. It seems to work as well as being out in the sun.

Just curious if you like sunlight, artificial or both.

11 answers to this question

Hey John!

Thought you would know this already...black paint...use a black light!

Having good lighting of any sort is great to have, but think about this... ...when is it you really see all the blemishes and smudges at their worst? I'll bet you'll say late afternoon, when the ANGLE of the light rays are catching all those fine scratches and totally highlighting them.

To me, having even, overall good light can actually hinder spotting those problem spots--try getting some point source of light and view your paint at an oblique angle...

This may not be a great analogy, but, you ever seen one of those paintless dent repair guys work? They'll set up some sort of light or an object with a straight line(s) to use as a reference, and look at the working surface to see what the reflection looks like, at an angle. They can see all the dents and waves on your car, in that reflection. By that same token, looking at your paint at an angle will highlight all the scratches and scuffs that you may overlook when looking at it straight on, in bright light.

Of course, if you were to go with the black, suede look, you wouldn't have to worry 'bout the scratches...:eek:

It is really amazing how easily the scratches show on black. I seem to be in the habit now of polishing one quarter panel per week now. At this rate, I wonder how long before i get to the paint.

Black, looks good but never again.

Like S-Tee said...a nice flat black.

It is really amazing how easily the scratches show on black. I seem to be in the habit now of polishing one quarter panel per week now. At this rate, I wonder how long before i get to the paint.

Black, looks good but never again.

Like S-Tee said...a nice flat black.

Keep it waxed for protection - what'll you'll find very helpful is our Brilliant Spray Glaze. A nice added benefit of it's chemical property is that it will temporarily fill in a very light scratch, especially on black!

Keep it waxed for protection - what'll you'll find very helpful is our Brilliant Spray Glaze. A nice added benefit of it's chemical property is that it will temporarily fill in a very light scratch, especially on black!

I'll give the spray glaze a try! Thanks.

The halogen lights that you find at hardware stores are excellent for seeing scratches. The key to finding them though is to look at the car in multiple light sources, as well as from different angles when using those sources. I have also found that going to a DIY car wash (preferably a newer one), that has those huge bay lights will also reviel any hidden swils or scratches that may be trying to hide.