Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratches on Glasses Lenses

Kingsford

A few of you probably know I am a Firefighter, I also wear glasses and the job doesn't really mix well with them. I tend to go through glasses rather quick. The last pair I had actually melted.

However they seem to get scratched up rather quickly and irritate me. Anyone have any recommendations on getting scratches out of glasses?

I've tried tooth paste with little success.

A few of you probably know I am a Firefighter, I also wear glasses and the job doesn't really mix well with them. I tend to go through glasses rather quick. The last pair I had actually melted.

However they seem to get scratched up rather quickly and irritate me. Anyone have any recommendations on getting scratches out of glasses?

I've tried tooth paste with little success.

There is no way to remove scratches from eyeglass lenses. If there was our optical lab would buy the stuff by the gallon. We could then reduce our scrap rate and increase our profit. (Please note: You'll probably have to discuss glass lenses with your department's Safety Officer due to liability concerns.) Glass lenses can sometimes have scratches buffed down, but when doing that we can induce a wave into the lens surface nullifying the scratch but making the lens less usable.

How to prevent getting scratches in eyeglass lenses? Glass lenses. No, I'm not being a smarty pants either. They can be made to meet the current standard, OSHA Z87.1-2003. Glass lenses will melt, but if you get them hot enough to melt (about 2500 F) you're having a really bad day. Glass lenses are heavy and can break much easier than plastic, polycarbonate or Trivex but it is super scratch resistant. If you wear your glasses behind a face shield the face shield should take any impact you would need to be concerned about. We have made Rx lenses for many of the local FD and PD's. Most use an insert that goes behind the mask.

Plastic type lenses can be made more scratch resistant by the addition of scratch resistant coatings such as Foundation by Zeiss or TD2 by Essilor. These coating are proven to be far more durable than ordinary uncoated lenses or lenses with the factory applied hard coating.

Eyeglass lenses can last quite some time scratch free with the same care you show your truck's finish. Would you ever clean your truck with a dry towel? Nope, but a lot of people do. So before you wipe your lenses, wet them. Clean them with warm water and a hand soap free of moisturizers. Rinse them using warm water. Use microfiber towel to clean and to dry them. Use light pressure when wiping them. And finally as the owner of our optical lab loves to say "On your face or in their case."

These opinions are based on my 27 years in the wholesale optical business. I am the Client Service Manager for one of the largest optical labs in the US. Board certified optician and all that......

Glass lenses will melt, but if you get them hot enough to melt (about 2500 F) you're having a really bad day. Glass lenses are heavy and can break much easier than plastic, polycarbonate or Trivex but it is super scratch resistant. If you wear your glasses behind a face shield the face shield should take any impact you would need to be concerned about. We have made Rx lenses for many of the local FD and PD's. Most use an insert that goes behind the mask.

I dont know how they melted, It wasn't THAT hot. Maybe they were plastic lenses they didnt feel or sound like glass. I still have them I can take a picture haha.

I have inserts also and they have never had a problem.

There is no way to remove scratches from eyeglass lenses. If there was our optical lab would buy the stuff by the gallon. We could then reduce our scrap rate and increase our profit. (Please note: You'll probably have to discuss glass lenses with your department's Safety Officer due to liability concerns.) Glass lenses can sometimes have scratches buffed down, but when doing that we can induce a wave into the lens surface nullifying the scratch but making the lens less usable.

How to prevent getting scratches in eyeglass lenses? Glass lenses. No, I'm not being a smarty pants either. They can be made to meet the current standard, OSHA Z87.1-2003. Glass lenses will melt, but if you get them hot enough to melt (about 2500 F) you're having a really bad day. Glass lenses are heavy and can break much easier than plastic, polycarbonate or Trivex but it is super scratch resistant. If you wear your glasses behind a face shield the face shield should take any impact you would need to be concerned about. We have made Rx lenses for many of the local FD and PD's. Most use an insert that goes behind the mask.

Plastic type lenses can be made more scratch resistant by the addition of scratch resistant coatings such as Foundation by Zeiss or TD2 by Essilor. These coating are proven to be far more durable than ordinary uncoated lenses or lenses with the factory applied hard coating.

Eyeglass lenses can last quite some time scratch free with the same care you show your truck's finish. Would you ever clean your truck with a dry towel? Nope, but a lot of people do. So before you wipe your lenses, wet them. Clean them with warm water and a hand soap free of moisturizers. Rinse them using warm water. Use microfiber towel to clean and to dry them. Use light pressure when wiping them. And finally as the owner of our optical lab loves to say "On your face or in their case."

These opinions are based on my 27 years in the wholesale optical business. I am the Client Service Manager for one of the largest optical labs in the US. Board certified optician and all that......

Great information Paul!

One of the great things about this forum is it's not all about detailing. There are so many folks that pass along knowledge from their day-to-day to help others out (Brandi's insurance information and several folks with computer stuff come to mind).

Then there are people like Dylan who spend the day washing their ride and get to call it "work"! :jester:

One of the great things about this forum is it's not all about detailing. There are so many folks that pass along knowledge from their day-to-day to help others out (Brandi's insurance information and several folks with computer stuff come to mind).

I've never seen another ask about computers but I know if they did I would be first to chime in.

Archived