Customer Service 866.965.0400

Touch up advice

LDM

Question

I know this can't really be solved with any of Adam's products, but thought some of you on here might have some touch up experience that might help. I bought my car used and it was in great shape, except the previous owner had scraped the bottom of the front bumper on something at some point. From eye height, and to the casual observer, it's hard to notice:

PB010003.jpg

But as we all know, the people on this site aren't just casual observers, so as you get down lower you see this:

PB010002.jpg

And getting down even lower looking upward reveals this:

PB010001.jpg

I realize that to fix it properly, it would probably need to be sanded down (or maybe even replaced) and then sprayed by a body shop, but I don't want to go that route at this point. Does anyone know of any touch up techniques that could at least make this less noticeable? I also have a few random rock chips scattered around the front, but I figure those would be easier to deal with than this. Thanks for any input.

10 answers to this question

I'd bring it to a body shop and have them repaint it.

Since its down the the bare metal/plastic you can't exactly touch it up without it being noticed unless you have the exact same color mixed up but even then you would have to blend and fade the other body parts to make it look right.

I'd say you could get it fixed for about $150-300 at a body shop but I dont know how bad it is without touching it or seeing it in person.

I'd bring it to a body shop and have them repaint it.

Since its down the the bare metal/plastic you can't exactly touch it up without it being noticed unless you have the exact same color mixed up but even then you would have to blend and fade the other body parts to make it look right.

I'd say you could get it fixed for about $150-300 at a body shop but I dont know how bad it is without touching it or seeing it in person.

Like I said, I know the only way to make it right is to bring it to a body shop, but I was just wondering if there were a way to make it better. I got my car at the end of March and have just lived with it since then, and it's one of those things that 99% of all people would never even notice, but I know it's there. Some day I will get it fixed at a body shop (or just replaced with a GXP front fascia :D) but I don't want to go through that right now and was hoping that there might be other options. I know the problem is that most touch up systems are designed for small spot repairs due to rock chips and such, whereas this is gouged right down to the plastic. Has anyone attempted to touch up something this bad before?

I use this company's touch-up paint. You can buy it in a rattle can. Every time I've made a purchase the color match was exact! If you tape off a line just below the visable area of the lower valance, but still above the scratch you could "feather" it in with rubbing compound by hand. If the seam would be into the visable area, I'd not do this method as it could look worse than the scratches. The Langka repair system Chris suggests would work great on the stone chips, those marks under the valance appear deep into the plastic, not just paint rubbed off.

PaintScratch.com

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I may try that vinyl trim piece that Rick suggested, from those pictures it doesn't look too bad, as long as I could get it to contour to the edge properly. Do you know if that part number the exact same stuff used in the pictures, or just a similar product? It may be the only way to effectively hide those gouge marks without going the body shop route. Also, I could then use this as the demarcation line for what Dave suggested to cover up some of the scratches further back. I might try the Langka on some of the minor chips as well. Has anyone tried the Dr. ColorChip system? I came across it during my Google searches and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it. It might not work for the scratches, but maybe on those chips.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I may try that vinyl trim piece that Rick suggested, from those pictures it doesn't look too bad, as long as I could get it to contour to the edge properly. Do you know if that part number the exact same stuff used in the pictures, or just a similar product? It may be the only way to effectively hide those gouge marks without going the body shop route. Also, I could then use this as the demarcation line for what Dave suggested to cover up some of the scratches further back. I might try the Langka on some of the minor chips as well. Has anyone tried the Dr. ColorChip system? I came across it during my Google searches and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it. It might not work for the scratches, but maybe on those chips.

Hi Len, found it here http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26892 I've used something similar on a previous car and just google'd to find a similar product in your neck of the woods. $20 + shipping and 30mins to install :)

Hope it works for you.

I've used Door edge guard from Brandsport.com if McMaster-Carr doesn't have what you're looking for these guys might. They have all kinds of styles, sizes and colors.

EDIT

The more I look at your picture with the damage, the more I believe the edge guard trim suggested isn't going to work for you. This stuff goes over an edge, your picture appears to have the damage pretty far from the edge.

Well that would be a very easy fix for my husband because he is the "Mac Daddy" body tech. He can fix a train wreck! :D

He said you don't need a new bumper.

You should take the bumper off yourself and take it to a body shop unless you know how to bondo.

It will be cheaper than having to pay them labor for them to take the part off and reinstall it. :2thumbs:

Good luck. :xfingers:

I appreciate the input everyone. I probably won't get around to tackling this until after winter is over, but I wanted to start getting ideas now. Once I do, I'll be sure to post pics of how it turns out. Thanks again:cheers:

Archived