Customer Service 866.965.0400

Health warning

Boosted

Question

I think AJ / Adam should put a health warning on their videos:jester:

Just finished claying the car, 6 hours including washing. Feet, arms and back are sore:( actually I think every muscle is crying out. I used AJ's aggressive technique:glasses: and it feels smooth as. Still got 2x polishing and a wax to go:help: Luckily I've got a :pc:

Is it normal to need more than a bottle of detail spray in one session? I had to get another bottle(OTC). Should of got the gallon, but at $90 I went for the cheaper option ($30 16oz) didn't work out cheaper:(

The bonnet, roof etc was really bad. In some places I had to fold the clay over 4 times in a 2 foot area. It was yellow from pollen. The vertical surfaces were quite good, only 1 fold.

Is it ok to attack to swirls tonight and then carry on tomorrow morning with the polish and wax? It's under cover, would I need to give it another wash / wipe down with detail spray tomorrow?

Picked up a Nilfisk water blaster and it came with the foam spray bottle. Used a 4:1 ratio with Adam's car wash and worked really well.

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I would want to rinse the car after using the dishwashing liquid, then wash it with the adams car shampoo to get every last bit of dishwashing liquid off the finish, and then dry it. (no detail spray if you can avoid it, I would think). I don't know what dilution to suggest, as I do the IPA/H2O 1:1 wipedown. Maybe Dylan could help you with that.

Paging Dylan, paging Dylan... :D

Picked up some dish washing liquid. They only had the lemon scented one, wanted the original. Will this be ok to get rid of the wax?

Dish washing soap is not what you use because it is dish washing soap, Dawn dish washing soap works because of its grease cutting ability. Not all dish washing soaps do this. So whether or not that soap will work is a total mystery. The test (as I explained before), is to take a sink full of greasy water and put a couple of drops of dish soap in the center of the water. If all the grease runs away, then that soap will work.

FAMILY FORUM AJ! REMEMBER? :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

:D :D

Dish washing soap is not what you use because it is dish washing soap, Dawn dish washing soap works because of its grease cutting ability. Not all dish washing soaps do this. So whether or not that soap will work is a total mystery. The test (as I explained before), is to take a sink full of greasy water and put a couple of drops of dish soap in the center of the water. If all the grease runs away, then that soap will work.

I'll pick up some cooking oil or grease from the store and see if it dissipates with this stuff. The only oil I have is flax and hemp seed oil (omega-3 :)) I have every morning.

The pic shows what I picked up, it says 4x grease cutting power so hopefully it will be ok.

Cheers

Rick

Alan came around today to drop off my new order. He gave me a demo and some very useful tips, looks great.

My paints condition is not great, going to take a bit of effort to get rid of the scratches. Previously I was too lazy

and used the car washes at petrol stations. The dishwashing liquid was applied twice, still a bit of wax left.

I plan on using the clay bar again as its been sitting out in the elements, should be easier this time.

The previous comment about cooking oil, I'm on a diet and got rid of all of them, just boil, steam or grill everything.

About to try shakes for a month:eek: Whenever I look at AJ's pics with fried chicken my stomach growls:drool:

Was out on Friday, A lady parked next to me and her son got out and slammed the door against my car. Left white paint

and chipped my paint off, one is about the size of a finger nail and the other one half that size. She blew up at me when

I approached her son. Luckily one of the shops had CCTV and I've got a copy.

Picking up a Pentax K-x this week so will be able to get better photos and will post. Going to start after I've seen AJ's videos again.

i should add that I tried the test in the sink with oil, seemed to work. Didn't have anything to compare it to. Alan said the product was ok.

You will find muscles that you never knew existed!!!!!

I use THIS when I am waxing the lower half of my tbss.

Amazing gift...the adam's bucket was a tad too high for me and I don't have the wheels for it.

All finished. The MF towel just flies over the paint:) I got rid of the swirls but not the fine scratches. Might need the Yellow pad. I'll check with Alan when he is up this way. I need a loooooong rest.

Reminds me of my first day at the gym. The trainer worked me hard, friend of my brother. I think he told the trainer to hurt me:( Went for 3 years then stopped last Christmas.

The Adam's grit bucket is too short for me, I'm 6'2". Used a chair. I've got cobble stones so wheels would be nice, but wouldn't work.

Just finished claying the car, 6 hours including washing. Feet, arms and back are sore:( actually I think every muscle is crying out. I used AJ's aggressive technique:glasses: and it feels smooth as. Still got 2x polishing and a wax to go:help: Luckily I've got a :pc:

Is it normal to need more than a bottle of detail spray in one session? I had to get another bottle(OTC). Should of got the gallon, but at $90 I went for the cheaper option ($30 16oz) didn't work out cheaper:(

The bonnet, roof etc was really bad. In some places I had to fold the clay over 4 times in a 2 foot area. It was yellow from pollen. The vertical surfaces were quite good, only 1 fold.

Is it ok to attack to swirls tonight and then carry on tomorrow morning with the polish and wax? It's under cover, would I need to give it another wash / wipe down with detail spray tomorrow?

Picked up a Nilfisk water blaster and it came with the foam spray bottle. Used a 4:1 ratio with Adam's car wash and worked really well.

Here's a little trick to help save your DS. You don't "have" to have DS to clay the paint. All you need is a lubricant. Heck, I've used water and gotten the desired results. Use your clay right through the soap.

After washing and rinsing, soap-up once more and clay through the soap. It achieves the same results, eliminates the clay step after drying off the car (everything is done in the wet bay) and will save a butt load of DS for other uses.

You're sore just after washing and claying?

Whats your address so we can call the ambulance for when you get started with the PC.

:willy:

I can usually go through 3/4 of a bottle of DS between clay and the PC pads, but I have a truck.

Gallons are the way to go. I started off buying the 16oz bottles but I've since bought a gallon of everything. You get 8, 16oz bottles in a Gallon. So you really only pay for 3 bottles if you buy a gallon. Its worth it.

Washing and claying are usually the easy part for me... It's the bending over with the PC that tear my back up... I've had back surgery so it sets me back a couple of days afterwards... DS should only be bought in gallons as far as I'm concerned. I have a 5 gallon container of it that I fill all my bottles off of.

Chris

Hi Rick,

I bet your car is SMOOTH!

Can't wait to see the pics after it's done.

I would recommend doing your polishing all at once. Remember, once you do your test spot with the Swirl and Haze Remover and determine the best method for your paint, you don't have to wipe off the product. You can go right over the top with the Fine Machine Polish and then wipe off.

From there, you can cover the car and wax it the next day.

As long as the car doesn't get dirty overnight, you will not need to wash it. I would just spray it down with the Detail Spray or Waterless Wash first.

I hope this helps! Have fun!! :pc:

Hi Rick,

I bet your car is SMOOTH!

Can't wait to see the pics after it's done.

I would recommend doing your polishing all at once. Remember, once you do your test spot with the Swirl and Haze Remover and determine the best method for your paint, you don't have to wipe off the product. You can go right over the top with the Fine Machine Polish and then wipe off.

From there, you can cover the car and wax it the next day.

As long as the car doesn't get dirty overnight, you will not need to wash it. I would just spray it down with the Detail Spray or Waterless Wash first.

I hope this helps! Have fun!! :pc:

:iagree: Well said!

What Ashley said! I spent 5 weeks on and off working on mine while it was parked in the garage.

Chris

:iagree: Don't forget pics!:2thumbs:

Cheers all. I thought I was going to need an ambulance last night, my girlfriend came over and wasn't happy. Said I'm spending too much time fishing and working on my car.

She looked like :mad::pc::explode: and I was:(:bow: Taking her away for the weekend, somewhere special (smiley with a white flag)

If washing and claying are the easy part, I'm in for a shock. Had some pain killers left over from an ACL reconstruction on my right knee:D

I started on the car late and thought 6-7 hours total, start to finish. I'll know next time - start early.

I'll post some pics, wasn't sure if it would be appropriate as I did 1/2 Adam's products + some others.

Just sent Alan (NZ distributor) an email enquiring about the gallons. What would be the best to have, I'm thinking car wash, detail spray and APC.

Going to give the OTC products to my father and order the replacements from Alan. I need the US$ to increase so it makes goods cheaper:jester: also need more buyers down here too. The price you pay to live on the other side of the world:(

Weather turned nasty during the night, got a southerly coming up from Antarctica (5 hour flight from NZ)

Just checked, 5 gallons of DS is $360NZD - ouch

What would be the best to have, I'm thinking car wash, detail spray and APC.

These are the big three that you'll almost definitely need gallons of. I also seem to go through a lot of the Waterless Wash, but that's just me.

Too much time with the car? No such thing. Tell her shes spends too much time shopping.

I'm on shaky ground as it is. Her father might dump me out at sea next time we are out fishing:jester:

Going to place an order when Alan gets in touch.

Advil works on busted guts too. :D:thumbsup:

Luckily I had some painkillers left over from my ACL op. 2 years old but still worked:D Last used it last year when I had all 4 wisdom teeth out.

I checked for Dawn and it looks like they don't sell it in NZ. May order via Amazon. Would isopropyl alcohol be ok? it's a restricted product in NZ, too many dope growers using it to make hash oil:D I found this ?http://greenleaf.co.nz/EucalyptusAllPurposeCleaner.htm going to ring them tomorrow.

I'll post some pics after I've 'Adamized' my car

I think the first claying is the worst. I felt the way you do the first time I clayed my finish. After that first claying, it gets easier, as your finish will be cleaner.

The car hasn't been clayed since I picked it up new 2 years ago. I worked it like AJ does and now it's as smooth as a babies .... It lives outside and we have a lot of plants and fruit trees. It gets covered in pollen, you can see the yellow pollen caked on it. Time to invest in a car cover.

Its now 20:25 (Friday) and time for a shower and dinner. Too sore to go out for the Guy Fawkes displays, fireworks going off all around me. I don't even feel like a beer:willy: where are those pain killers:jester:

Still have to address the glass and trim. Also there is a bit of dust on the car, all my MF towels are wet so didn't wipe the dust off. Having a rest day:D Back into it tomorrow.

I've got rid of the swirls but not the scratches. Placing another order, this time going for the full Adam's products. The wax I used left a greasy streak thats difficult to remove, looks like petroleum based? I've given it and polishes away:)

Looking at getting a LED torch, heard they give the same result as a halogen lamp - portable and cheap. My camera is not the best, old Cannon Ixus 60.

Archived