Customer Service 866.965.0400

saving wheels from winter conditions

fortplainman

Question

so right now my truck sits covered in snow after a 4 hour trip on salt covered roads coming back to college, where it probably will sit for 3 weeks until school is done. now the main part of my wheels are painted and have a coat of wax on them, but what about the simulated bead area thats exposed to the elements? would it be better for the snow to cover it(constant water contact) or be uncovered to the elements(parking lot salt truck etc.)? my winter tires came in late so i couldnt put them on my stockers to save my good wheels. its literally gona snow for the next week and a half so i was wondering what i could do to mitigate my wheels from decreasing in quality.

oh yeah and here is the curveball...i have not ONE bit of detailing supplies at college or it would be an easy choice of depending on how bad it was WW/APC/GWC and detail spray.

when they come off the truck ill most likely get the powercone out and go to down with some cleaner and wax. i just have 2 types of surfaces on the wheels and its hard to figure out what to do to them. not sure if the wheels are just painted black or have clearcoat over it or i would try some correcting methods and a metal polish.

11 answers to this question

I'd just make sure the salt isn't sitting on them. Are they anodized? Anodized is pretty hard stuff. You could still wax them as well, but it's too late now.

You could also spray them down with WD-40, but make VERY sure you don't hit the brakes with it.

not sure, ive tried looking around at what metal it is with no success. its mainly oxidized around where the screws contact the rim that i tried getting off with no success. never thought of the WD-40 idea. ill probably wipe the snow off with a towel, should clear the salt off.

Best option would be to get yourself a set of winter wheels and tries (obviously not the most cost effective approach)

Keeping the salt off as much as possible is huge... roll thru a wand wash every once in a while and blasting the wheels and undercarriage clean.

Also applying a coat of sealant to the wheels whenever you can will help immensely.

my good wheels will be off in a few weeks, but since im not gona drive it(at school) ill see what i can use thats here in the house to clean them(nearest carwash is 20 minutes away).

i have a set of winter wheels, just the tires were backordered, they will be on when i get back. there the chrome 17in stockers im gona run, previous winters for them i just used mothers powercone with some polishing compound/wax and it seems to get the pitting outta the chrome.

ill probably apply some undercarriage spray or something for the winter, its already pretty bad underneath rusting wise. any sealant from adams besides a good coat of wax to keep the wheels in good shape ya recommend?

yeah i heard that but since i dont have a PC, the nooks/cranny's of the wheels, im not sure if it would work out. well, unless you guys tell me otherwise lol. maybe in conjunction with a power cone? hmm...

the paint has some scratches though, they could use some TLC.

cool thanks chris ill look into it. ill probably after i take them off clean them up and put some buttery on them since i didnt last time after some GWC then put them in storage.

right now i have to worry about the massive amount of ice that covers my truck haha. it was raining for 24 hours then turned to snow so everything froze under the snow that was slushy and stayed that way.

Archived