Customer Service 866.965.0400

Couple Questions

03Sierraslt

Question

Just got my PC and all my stuff, I was using the SHR and started getting dried product getting thrown around. At first I thought it was the pad coming apart but then realize it was just the SHR. What am I doing wrong? To much SHR?

Also what does everyone do for a cleaning procedure for the pads, I used a couple sprays of APC and just kneeded the pad till it was clean. Now its sitting out to dry. Any tips would be great, thanks guys.

10 answers to this question

Just got my PC and all my stuff, I was using the SHR and started getting dried product getting thrown around. At first I thought it was the pad coming apart but then realize it was just the SHR. What am I doing wrong? To much SHR?

Yep, sounds like too much product. After the initial 'prime' of the pad, be sure to use a little product for the subsequent panels.

For cleaning the pads you're right on. What I do is spray the pad with APC and work it in with my thumbs. Then I rinse the pad out by holding it on an angle and letting the water hit it in the middle and work it to the edge. After the APC is rinsed out completely I wring it out then put the pad on a cordless drill with the spot pad attachment (make sure it is centered). I hold the drill inside a bucket run the drill for 30 seconds. What happens is the water gets slung out of the pad and make the drying process go quicker. Then I set the pad on a drying rack ($15 @ Target) next to a dehumidifier on my basement. The dehumidifier sucks the rest of the water and the pad is dry the next morning.

I use the dehumindifier trick for towels too. Towels dry even faster.

Get used to it, my SHR leaves dust no matter how much product I use. But as your technique gets better it will dust less and less...and be sure not to get product on the outer edges of the pad as that will make it much worse..

I think that was allot of the issue, I did put too much on the outer edge.

When you start seeing little chunks coming off the orange pad, the grooves are probably are filling up (from using too much product). It doesn't take much. The initial 4 pea sized drops is enough to start, then only 3 pea sized drop per area. Less is better than more.

It really doesn't take very much product. Seems counter intuitive, but it works.

(I had the same issue when I started using the PC - too much polish)

This can also happen if you are working on the edges of the car or the pad is not complete contact with the car surface.

This^

Besides all the obvious stuff already covered, if you're not good at keeping the pad flush with the finish (lifting the edges) or working across a gap or uneven surface the polish will escape.

Also, clean your pads after each use. I use the PC and Flex often enough, I keep two sets of pads for each. That way, while one set dries, I'll use the other set and rotate them through a cycle.

One Note: The city water at our shop is so poor, I use distilled water as a final rinse on my pads. If your water is of poor quality, sediment will build up in your pads and on your paint. Remember to not only use a water purification system for washing your car, but also for your pads as they come in contact with your paint.

Archived