Customer Service 866.965.0400

Engine detail w/ pics.

Mysticine

Question

Maybe a year or so ago I made a post similar to this with a different car. Today I took my "work car" to the shop and left it there for some "preventive maintenance". I signed out one of the spare cars, a 2004 Crown Vic with 80,100 miles. When I got home I took a peek under the hood and was ecstatic to see the challenge that lay before me on this 37 degree day. (Yes, I am well aware that I have a problem and there is something wrong with me. Isn't that why we're all here? :grouphug:) I will only have this car for today and tomorrow most likely, but I still couldn't help myself. I had to clean this engine.

Step 1, obtain quality detailing supplies: Adam's All Purpose Cleaner, Adam's VRT (this was an old bottle of the regular VRT that was mixed 50/50 with water), Adam's block sponge (these can all be purchased in a low priced kit), Adam's In and Out Spray, Adam's Boulder Blonde Boar's Hair Wheel Brush, and Adam's Fender & Tire Brush. Now the fun part.

Step 2, take pictures of the engine in all 80k miles of it's filth:

spare1.jpg

spare2.jpg

Step 3, with the engine running I gave it a once over light misting or "spring rain" effect:

spare3.jpg

Step 4, spray APC over the dirt and watch the ensuing battle as the filth is brought to it's knees as the mean green overwhelms it:

spare4.jpg

Step 5, Using the boar's hair brush, take sides with the APC and scrub away the grime that has held your motor siege for all these years. Reapply APC and repeat as necessary: (Edit: If you decide to scrub away at the engine and leave your engine running as I did, be careful. I accidentally had some bristles torn from my brush as I got a little careless near the moving belt. :loser:)

spare5.jpg

Step 6, Spray the APC on the underside of the hood as well. No dirt is safe! Using the fender brush once again go on the offensive scrubbing away. The dirt won't stand a chance:

spare6.jpg

Step 7, Blast away the water on the underside of the hood, then go back to a "spring rain effect" on the motor to remove the dirt that has no doubt surrendered by this point. Dry the engine off. In my case I let it run for a little bit them used an old Absorber and wiped away any remaining water.

spare7.jpg

Step 8, Apply the VRT (or SVRT) either directly onto the areas to be brought back to life, or directly onto the block sponge, or both! Watch in amazement as your engine is returned back to how it probably looked when you first bought it. Or in most cases, probably even better than that. Also included in step 8, using the Adam's In & Out Spray get those hard to reach areas... I tried getting a few pics of this but was unsuccessful, I think my hands were shaking so much from the cold that the camera wouldn't focus and take a pic of the spray in action. :)

spare8.jpg

Step 9, Stand back and survey your work (yes, I said your work. If you look at mine you'll see the spots I missed). Be the envy of the manliest of men, knowing that with the help of Adam's dirt and grime can run, but never hide!

spare9.jpg

Step 10, Profit!

In all seriousness, I hope this helps some people. When I do the engine in my Vette, I cover the alternator with a plastic bag, but didn't feel it necessary with the CV. When I was much younger, I attempted to clean the engine bay on my 1995 Z28, and I ended up messing up some air pump sensor or fuse... I was fortunately covered under a recall, so maybe I didn't mess it up and the timing of it going bad just happen to coincide? In any case, the important thing is this, and I believe Adam himself has said it: If you don't feel comfortable cleaning your engine, then don't do it. Having said that, if I can do it anybody can.

:burnout:

25 answers to this question

Are you thinking of taking it off permanently, or do you mean just for cleaning purposes?

I took the one off my old C5Z, and had no problems. Actually that car was full of problems, but I don't think the lack of the liner had anything to do with it. :o

(Yes, I am well aware that I have a problem and there is something wrong with me. Isn't that why we're all here? :grouphug:) I will only have this car for today and tomorrow most likely, but I still couldn't help myself. I had to clean this engine.

Yes you do have a problem and something is wrong with you.

Next time you want to clean on a vehicle that is not yours head my way you can work on my two vehicles. :2thumbs:

If you find yourself passing through Virginia I would be happy to do it for you. :hi: The farthest north I usually go is Maryland and only then to visit my parents.

My cousin lives somewhere in Virginia. Maybe I'll have to go visit her haha

If you're referring to the LS7, then most definitely! I really can't wait to get rid of the CV and get mine back! :willy:

I'm really looking forward to the meet - gotta make sure my car is at the top of it's game.

YES!!!!!!!

I am excited to see ur girl!

I am doing the same thing - major overhaul the weekend before.

I am also going to detail my engine bay...

I've debated on taking the fire lining on the hood off....but IDK if that's a good idea. :confused: But it would make the engine bay so gorgeous

Gorgeous Shawn! Is this what I get to see at the GM meet next month?

If you're referring to the LS7, then most definitely! I really can't wait to get rid of the CV and get mine back! :willy:

I'm really looking forward to the meet - gotta make sure my car is at the top of it's game.

I appreciate the compliments. I really did miss a lot of areas though... I was excited to get started but once I felt how cold it actually was I decided to pick up the pace and not take the time I should have.

I base all techniques off of the volume 5 and 6 dvds. Heard it was good to leave the engine running that way if you're spraying water and it starts to sound a little different you can quickly get that water away from where you're spraying. But yes, the heat did definitely help. (I think that's how I ended up getting a little too close to the belt with the brush.)

Cleaning the engine for me is one of my favorite parts. I think it's a sign of character. ;)

ls7.jpg

Guest Uncle Jesse

Wow, looks great! I need to get some APC and In and Out spray and finish my F150. I will for sure stay away from the COP's, they don't like to shower..i try and keep it somewhat clean, but there are still nooks and crannies that need attention.

Again, nice before and after! Looks great!

Archived