Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need Advice!

mblouir

Question

Howdy Adam's gang,

Allow me to make this long story short:

I started detailing about two years ago. Began with Adam's products and loved them. Since I was new, though, I wanted to tread the waters of other products. Let's just say after trying other products I am back on Adam's products and I'm here to stay!

I've made two big purchases within the last week and am stocking up for a big detail. I've done paint correction on my truck twice in the past, and for the most part I keep it in pretty good shape. My final year of college, though, kept me too busy to care for the truck as I would have liked to. I'll be doing more paint correction this time around, too, but it will be lighter since the paint isn't thrashed like it was when I first got the truck. I'm fine on paint correction---that's not the problem I have.

Let me change direction and get into what happened last week:

We went to Wild Wings last week, and when I came out to my truck (parking garage), there was some nice paint transfer on my rear bumper. Yep, someone had backed into me and left, despite me deliberately parking away from everyone else. Surprisingly I wasn't that upset because most of it was wiping off and I have a big detail planned soon. I purchased some focus pads to work on the bumper, and I'm 95% sure I can polish out anything leftover after I remove the transferred paint. I look at it in a positive light and see it as a way to improve my detailing skills.

:pc:

NotAmused.jpg

But that's not the problem, either. Let me get into that now.... (finally) :jester:

Happened to spot something else on the truck after taking the dog for a short walk. At the driver's side fog light there were marks which also looked to be paint transfer. Upon closer inspection, though, it's paint that's rubbed down to the bare metal. :(

5488677189_106c5f5547_b.jpg

5488683175_17f8d95f34_b.jpg

5488689409_41f6daf1c9_b.jpg

5488696029_e8d14ce9e8_b.jpg

After thinking about it, I'm sure that it also happened in the parking garage when we went to Wild Wings. The parking spaces were short, so I tried to park my truck as close to the wall as possible. I got close, but didn't realize it touched. The reason I'm pretty sure it happened there is because the wall is one of those regular parking garage walls that has a gritty concrete texture. It was also an angled parking space, so parking close at an angle would just about do it.

So.....some stranger and I tag-teamed my truck's front and rear last week. The backside I can take care of, but I am worried about the front. Being fresh out of college, I don't have the money to get my bumper re-sprayed, and that's really the only true way to get it fixed. There's no polishing out missing paint. :willy: I'm eventually looking at rusting and paint chipping off.

This is where I need advice. I don't have money for a re-spray, which I eventually will have done. Since that's out of the picture, what do you guys recommend? I'm pretty sure I need to address this before I detail the truck, but I wanted to make sure.

I need a temporary fix for this. What do you guys recommend? Any chip repair or touch-up products that would tide me over until I can get it re-sprayed? Should I do it before or after I detail the truck?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Matt

10 answers to this question

That's why nobody drives my truck to aprk or otherwise!! Not even my wife!!!!

Hey now!!! I resemble the wife in one way....I know how to park!

I had a guy come up to me in the parking lot one day and he said "your husband taught you well". I just gave him the biggest eat crap look....showed him my left hand (no ring, not married) and said "no darlin' I taught myself"

OP: some people have no respect for their stuff much less someone else's.

Welcome back to the FAMILY!

I had a guy come up to me in the parking lot one day and he said "your husband taught you well". I just gave him the biggest eat crap look....showed him my left hand (no ring, not married) and said "no darlin' I taught myself"

Brandi there is a big difference. You take pride in the way your TBSS looks. Therefore you know how park to minimize possible damage from parking lot. I wish my wife paid a little more attention to her surroundings when parking.

Everytime I look at my wife's car there is a new mark in it. I ask her how she parks and she says it the people next to her. Then I say "park farther away".... and get the dirt look :D

That or Dr. Color Chip. I would use primer first as you're down to the steel.

Chris

WELCOME BACK! :)

I looked into DCC a while back because I have a few minor rock chips. Was never enough to justify purchasing the kit, though. I will look into it, as well, thanks!

Appreciate the welcome back, everyone---it's good to be back. I haven't found anywhere else that has the same quality products or excellent customer service. The difference is phenomenal. It's hard to find companies like this nowadays. :cheers:

Well to be honest, she can't drive my truck because it has three pedals and two stick like things coming out of the floor!:lolsmack: Plus it's too big!!

and sorry for leaving out so many letters to words in my last post, it hurt for me to read it too!:help:

Brandi, I agree. It's unfortunate how many people get away with crap like this nowadays.

Someone was a good samaritan and left a sticky not on my windshield that read "XXX #### is the license plate # of the car that hit your left rear bumper. Burgundy car, GMC?"

I thought that would help. Unfortunately that's an out-of-state license plate, and one of the officers that patrols downtown said nothing could be done since they didn't write down the state. 7 or 8 states have that configuration, including 2 bordering states.... :willy:

I'm just happy to know there are still people out there that are looking out for others.

Archived