Customer Service 866.965.0400

Super VRT on Matte Black Vinyl

Eidolon

Question

Hey, fellow addicts. I've just finished wrapping/accenting a few parts of my car with matte black 3M vinyl. Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

finalresult.jpg

Now I'm trying to protect it with Super VRT to keep the rain off of it and keep it from drying out.

So I took a VRT sponge, put about a quarter-sized dollop of product on it, and then spread it around. Did this until I had full coverage.

When I was done, the application wasn't perfectly even, so I took a GWDT and some detail spray and attempted to even it out that way. So far, no dice. It's still a bit splotchy, as in the photo below.

vrtsplotch.jpg

I may've been using too much product again, or just not working it for long enough to smooth it out. Any tips/hints for treating a surface area this large? And any tips for how to even out what I've already got on?

More DS and toweling would probably do the trick, since I was able to get the trunk looking like I want. But I want to get the roof evened out before I take it out in the sunlight.

Thanks yet again!

8 answers to this question

Try mixing the SVRT 50/50. half water half SVRT. Spray it on the hood, then with 100% SVRT put a little on a sponge and work it in!

I actually found that this worked really well. I had a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle that I use for the honeycomb plastic on the car, so I spritzed that mixture onto a GWDT and just wiped it on. It actually worked really well and produced a much more even coat. No extra DS or wiping was necessary! So this is how I'll do it next time. Thanks, guys!

Go with the method you tried, but instead use a dry plush towel, don't use a drying towel and don't use detail spray.

The waffle pattern isn't good for evening things out, and the DS isn't needed.

1) Apply the VRT as evenly as you can

2) Wipe over with a DRY towel to even it out

3) Reapply VRT to any spots that look uneven

4) One last pass with a dry towel

You're good to go.

Archived