Customer Service 866.965.0400

but how does it work on a neglected shiny surface?

IMADreamer

Question

So we've all seen the pictures ultra blingy wheels, shiny new chrome, and barely worn metal being shined to a brilliant finish with the new Metal Polish 1-2 combo. No doubt it makes well kept shiny things looking great but what about metal that's been neglected for years? What if that metal was polished by an amateur mostly by hand and with simple tools like a Dremel and not fancy high end buffers? Well let's find out.....

So 5 years ago when I got this car I showed it some and went to a lot of meets. I wanted an attention getting engine bay, not the ode to black plastic that all modern engine bays are. So I set out to create a look combining polished metal surfaces, with brushed aluminum and carbon fiber. When it was all finished it was quite frankly a show stopper and I'm convinced my hard work on the often over looked engine bay won me the trophies at the shows including "best import" at a local show. Not sure how a Chevy won best import but oh well.

However for almost three years it's been completely neglected as the car was retired to daily driver duty. I'll admit I've only washed it once or twice in three years. Oh sure I kept the outside looking great but the engine bay was left to decay away...... until today.

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

Pretty nasty right? but watch this. :)

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

now it's far from perfect but that's not fault of the product, there is three years worth of pitting, oxidation, and grime and stuff there. Those are just going to have to be resanded then hit with the tripoli and rouge compounds.

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

Ok it's not show quality again, probably never will be since I don't have the motivation or time to pull the supercharger and valve cover off again and repolish. A little APC, super VRT, metal polish, and I&O makes for a nice looking engine bay. So how does the new MP combo work on a normal car? Pretty darn good I think. :)

7 answers to this question

Thanks guys, it definitely brought it back a long way.

As for the import thing, I was told they just didn't know where to put the FWD small GM cars so we got lumped into the import class rather then the class with the Camaros, Mustangs, and other muscle cars. I still laugh about it.

Archived