Customer Service 866.965.0400

Non-harmful snow removal?

NYJets77

Question

We got another 1-2 inches here on Long Island over night, and I very gently used one of those brushes that Pep Boys sells, but the bristles aren't all that soft.

This past winter saw up to 12 inches on top of my cars. Anyone have any tips they'd like to share to minimize scratching damage while removing snow? :help:

24 answers to this question

I remove only until I get to about an inch of the paint...

For light fluffy snow, a leaf blower works.

Most times, I just clean the windows and drive off. It's not overly enforced here.

I'll usually brush off the bulk with my arm and leave a small layer of it that stays or flies off while driving..nothing that would create a hazzard behind me but enough where I don't touch the paint. I'll scrape the windows with a snow brush and ice scraper though.

THIS, is NOT the right way...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/10ZwYkc76EU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We got another 1-2 inches here on Long Island over night, and I very gently used one of those brushes that Pep Boys sells, but the bristles aren't all that soft.

This past winter saw up to 12 inches on top of my cars. Anyone have any tips they'd like to share to minimize scratching damage while removing snow? :help:

1-2" Clear the windows and drive, not worth the time to take off an 1" of snow!!!!

I bought a microfiber wash mitt and covered up the bristles. It looks weird, but it should work AND be gentle.

It will not be gentle if the snow directly on the paint moves when you are clearing it away. Any dust, dirt, or otherwise won't not hurt the paint that is under the snow.

you know what? if you deal with snow all the time, i dont worry about it anymore in the winter because there is nothing you can really do to prevent scratches from snow removal. the most i do is let it melt off and if im driving it i try to take it through the automatic touchless wash, but gets dirty as soon as i leave anyway. i just clean it off if i gotta drive it and worry about in the spring for claying and trying to repair the winter damage to the paint, but in fall try to load it up to protect it as much as possible. ive been away at college and my last hand wash and detail was back in the beginning of october, but if you just detail it in the spring you will wipe away all the yuck the winter has brought.

people have many views and this is mine.

Bump of old thread. Winter snow is coming soon... Any recommendations on which bush you guys use. silverado owner here and would like to get as much off my tonneau cover as possible as well as have a decent reach on it. Are the big square soft blades a bad idea like dealerships use or what is a good start?

I have a silverado myself and I have a extendable brush and scraper that works great on my truck. I do not rub hard against the paint but I do let the brush do the work. Scratches are not preventable in the winter time its just the way it is and besides im not driving a vette or something its a truck

I'm way down South and thankfully don't have to deal with snow so excuse my ignorance before I comment.

I thought you guys have block heaters ;wouldn't that generate enough heat?

Remote start your ride; car heats up snow drips off?

Master blaster?

No block heater here... Most of the new diesels in our area dont even have them.

I do use my remote start for the clearing of ice off the windows for sure. But for when i get a few inches on the hood, bumper, tonneau cover, roof, its frowned upon around here to have it blowing off. Hazard to myself and other drivers.

I have a silverado myself and I have a extendable brush and scraper that works great on my truck. I do not rub hard against the paint but I do let the brush do the work. Scratches are not preventable in the winter time its just the way it is and besides im not driving a vette or something its a truck

Id rather not even touch the paint unless I have to and even then I try not to. Scratches are always preventable whether its summer or winter. Doesn't matter if its a vette or not. My truck cost more than some c6's do right now anyway. Dont care if its a truck, i dont feel the need to put scratches in it. No reason trucks cant look nice and scratch free.

What about this :[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sno-Brum-Original-Removal-Telescoping/dp/B0007LDXLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352724396&sr=8-1&keywords=snowbroom]Amazon.com: Sno Brum Original Snow Removal Tool with Telescoping Handle: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Id rather not even touch the paint unless I have to and even then I try not to. Scratches are always preventable whether its summer or winter. Doesn't matter if its a vette or not. My truck cost more than some c6's do right now anyway. Dont care if its a truck, i dont feel the need to put scratches in it. No reason trucks cant look nice and scratch free.

Really? If your truck is so much more expensive than a c6 vette then why the hell do you want to drive it in the winter time then? Scratches in winter time are gonna happen period between snow removal, parking and stupid people the only way your gonna prevent them is wash away salt every day park near no one and put it in a garage so you dont have to brush off snow. There are things we can do to prevent or lessen them but you CANNOT control other people.

The way I see it; swirls and scratches are inevitable but doing things like a 2 bucket wash with grit guards helps PREVENT them but eventually they will happen. we just simply lessen the severity and amount of swirls in the paint making it easier to correct. Keeping something stout like MSS on paint is a big helper to! I am not scared to brush snow off of a vehicle because I know it can be corrected and will not be scared to touch my vehicle and put it to use just because I am scared to touch it. What would be the fun being scared to do anything to your ride constantly?

Really? If your truck is so much more expensive than a c6 vette then why the hell do you want to drive it in the winter time then? Scratches in winter time are gonna happen period between snow removal, parking and stupid people the only way your gonna prevent them is wash away salt every day park near no one and put it in a garage so you dont have to brush off snow. There are things we can do to prevent or lessen them but you CANNOT control other people.

Because its 4wd, higher clearance, easier to control in the snow.

Scratches will happen no matter what, sure. But why cause more harm or work than I need to. Cant fix what other people do, but I can assure that im not the one causing the damage.

I remove only until I get to about an inch of the paint...

For light fluffy snow, a leaf blower works.

Most times, I just clean the windows and drive off. It's not overly enforced here.

Same here. Remove it until you get to the stuff that is actually stuck, then drive off.

I'm way down South and thankfully don't have to deal with snow so excuse my ignorance before I comment.

I thought you guys have block heaters ;wouldn't that generate enough heat?

Remote start your ride; car heats up snow drips off?

Master blaster?

Block heater only keeps the oil at a temperature above freezing. It doesn't keep the engine warm or the vehicle, just the oil pan.

Remote start the ride will help but if you get a nice snow fall that won't do anything. You have to get it off manually. plus the exterior panels don't get warm. Good thought process tho!!

Master blaster sounds very promising!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Block heater only keeps the oil at a temperature above freezing. It doesn't keep the engine warm or the vehicle, just the oil pan.

Hey Brandi, block heaters actually warm the coolant anti-freeze in all the water jackets in the block to aid in cold weather starts. They don't warm the oil pan or oil at all.

Never the less, they would never generate enough heat to be felt externally or thaw anything from the outside of the vehicle.

Hey Brandi, block heaters actually warm the coolant anti-freeze in all the water jackets in the block to aid in cold weather starts. They don't warm the oil pan or oil at all.

Never the less, they would never generate enough heat to be felt externally or thaw anything from the outside of the vehicle.

Mine I heats the oil as well.

Wikipedia states: Heaters are also available for engine oil so that warm oil can quickly circulate throughout the engine during startup. The easier starting results from warmer, less viscous engine oil and less condensation of fuel on cold metal surfaces inside the engine; thus a block heater reduces a vehicle's emission of unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide; also heat is available more quickly for the passenger compartment and glass defogging.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine I heats the oil as well.

I sell them to do both, or either. I have even seen dipstick oil heaters (don't work for a darn!)

I have a telescopic snow brush, and I brush down to about 1 inch.. If its light enough it will blow off, or the blaster would work. But for the wet heavy snows your not blowing that off.. So I will hit the Quarter wash on my way to the house and put the SS in the garage for the night..