Customer Service 866.965.0400

Gen 2 pad set

chris308

Question

3. What am I doing wrong - while using the orange pad and swirl & haze remover - when the pad seems to be uncontrollable as if its stuck in a rut and going in its own direction? Its like some times I control it with no problems but sometimes it hits a spot where it gets away from me...I dont understand why the change if I am using the same constant pressure

Thanks

It sounds like you are not keeping the pad level to the surface? Are you spreading the product with the PC set at 3 before moving up to 5 or 6 ? And just a slight mist of DS on the pad prior to applying the product to the pad ?

Well, I have learned that I was doing at least a couple things wrong. First, I was not spreading the product at 3k OPM and then moving to 5 or 6. I was staying at 3 the entire time. Also, I was applying 5 or 6 sprays of detail spray to the pad. Maybe too much? I also think I am using to much product and perhaps the pad has some old stuff caked on? Basically, I am doing more things wrong than right...

Well, I have learned that I was doing at least a couple things wrong. First, I was not spreading the product at 3k OPM and then moving to 5 or 6. I was staying at 3 the entire time. Also, I was applying 5 or 6 sprays of detail spray to the pad. Maybe too much? I also think I am using to much product and perhaps the pad has some old stuff caked on? Basically, I am doing more things wrong than right...

yes,one quick mist of detail spray, just get about 4-6 pea sized drops of product, spread it with the machine off first then do 3k opms, then move on the setting 5 or 6. thats what i do.

It sounds like you are not keeping the pad level to the surface? Are you spreading the product with the PC set at 3 before moving up to 5 or 6 ? And just a slight mist of DS on the pad prior to applying the product to the pad ?

Bill, you know your PC technique! :iagree:

I think you are on the right track now :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

The first time I used a PC I was ready to put it back in the box and sell it on EBay !!!!

It was skipping making noise and just not looking anything like the video's I had watched. But once I actually put that little nylon spacer on the backing plate it worked much better :o:o:o

Estecocoa, have you watched this video yet: If a picture is worth 1,000 words, maybe a video is worth a million!:2thumbs:

<!-- READ FROM DB --> <form name="video" id="video"><embed style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=7698717660691041730&hl=en" flashvars="">

Machine Polish Part 1

<table width="440" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="80" align="center" height="111">PREVIOUS

Hand Polishing

</td> <td valign="top" width="280" align="center">Instructional Videos Main Menu</td> <td valign="top" width="80" align="center">NEXT

Machine Polish 2</td></tr></tbody></table></form>

Edited by Adam

I've seen the videos many times but still have not learned enough - obviously - about using the PC. I find myself questioning how much product to use, how hard to press down, etc. I have learned a lot from this forum and I am eager to go out and practice. Currently, my approach to the swirls on my truck is the following:

1. Gen 2 orange w/ one spray of detail spray and 5 pea sized dots of S&H remover

2. spread around at 3k OPM, then run at 6 OPM while pressing down almost to the point that the PC begins to feel the effects of the pressure I put down on it

3. leave residue

4. Gen 2 white w/ one spray of detail spray and 5 dots of FMP

5. spread around at 3k, run at 5k OPM

6. leave residue

- similar for machine wax but run PC at 4k OPM with gen 2 black

I think one key point is that I work on smaller sections at a time and move more slowly. I may be going too fast and not pressing down enough.

I would remove the residue after the FMP then detail spray, then apply the wax, but that's just me.

Keep in mind that the black pad has NO cutting properties. No pressure is needed. Just the weight of the machine.

BTW, what I do to check my work is to reflect the light into my "work area" so I can see the progress as I go. Not working? Press harder/move slower. Micro marring? change up. That kind of thing. I have learned that this is just as much of an art as it is science.

I've seen the videos many times but still have not learned enough - obviously - about using the PC. I find myself questioning how much product to use, how hard to press down, etc. I have learned a lot from this forum and I am eager to go out and practice. Currently, my approach to the swirls on my truck is the following:

1. Gen 2 orange w/ one spray of detail spray and 5 pea sized dots of S&H remover

2. spread around at 3k OPM, then run at 6 OPM while pressing down almost to the point that the PC begins to feel the effects of the pressure I put down on it

3. leave residue

6. leave residue

I think one key point is that I work on smaller sections at a time and move more slowly. I may be going too fast and not pressing down enough.

Remove the polish residue before applying the wax, and you don't need to move as slow or use as much pressure when applying the wax. Other than that you've got the idea

3. leave residue

6. leave residue

Slow down everyone, I think step 6 is just a typo, should say remove residue :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Actually, I intended that to say "leave residue" as I have read in numerous places on this forum that there is no need to remove the S&H residue or the FMP residue. Is this right? I would lie to leave it if possible to eliminate a step and save time. But not if it compromises the quality of the work.

Actually, I intended that to say "leave residue" as I have read in numerous places on this forum that there is no need to remove the S&H residue or the FMP residue. Is this right? I would lie to leave it if possible to eliminate a step and save time. But not if it compromises the quality of the work.

For step 6 you absolutely need to REMOVE residue. You should always remove polish residue prior to applying wax. I like to remove the residue by hand and then wipe down with DS to ensure I have a really clean smooth surface THEN apply my wax. And then remove the wax residue after it has dried :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Remove the polish residue before applying the wax, and you don't need to move as slow or use as much pressure when applying the wax. Other than that you've got the idea

:iagree:Exactly! Thanks Gerry:2thumbs:

I have a set of Gen 1 pads with the DA adapter.

Are these new pads that much better? I was actually considering going with a small pad for the PC, I've read while a smaller surface area, they're make the PC more efficient???

Any thoughts/feedback? :pc: