Customer Service 866.965.0400

Preventing Brake Rotor Surface Rust

TCorzett

Question

I would like to start showing my car with one wheel removed so that people can get a better look at my upgraded suspension and brakes. I have two-piece zinc washed rotors, but if it is wet/humid out the brake rotors start to show some surface rust. I would like to do something to prevent the rust on the rotors while the car is on display at a show.

My thoughts would be to park at and wash/detail the wheel well and suspension components. I would remove any rust from the rotor (brush, etc.) and then apply a product to prevent the formation of rust while the car is parked. This would be something I'd do at each show, I don't care if the rotor start to rust the minute I drive away (and apply the brakes).

Any ideas?

-Todd...

4 answers to this question

Really putting ANYTHING on your rotor is NOT advisable, but a coat of Americana would probably be the safest. Just use ISPA to remove before remounting the wheel.

Chris

If it's the rotor face, where the pad grips, your drive to the show should have that portion polished up nicely. The only way that should start to show signs of surface rust would be if it's raining or your parked on a grass field and you drove in, in the rain. Only pull the wheel if it's dry out?

I wouldn't apply anything to the face of the rotor. I use VRT and IOS on and in the tire treads: that's scary enough when you hit the pavement couldn't imagine something on the brakes!

Are you talking about the rotor hat? Or what the pad grips?

Where the pad grips. Everywhere else is either aluminum (the hat) or zink washed (not rubbed-off by the pads).

I wouldn't apply anything to the face of the rotor. I use VRT and IOS on and in the tire treads: that's scary enough when you hit the pavement couldn't imagine something on the brakes!

This is part of my concern... I don't want something that is going to make driving unsafe. Just curious if anyone had found something that worked well... the last thing I'm going to do is try and make the car unsafe :lolsmack:

-Todd...

Archived