Customer Service 866.965.0400

excessive wear on pc pads

bjoeaull

Question

I'm maybe 80% done with my first paint correction and noticed a couple of my pads are starting to seperated from where they meet the velcro part. Its really bad on the green one, and I can really see it pulling away from the buffer when I'm running it, kinda flaps away from it. Am I doing something wrong possibly that caused too much wear on the pads that anyone can think of, don't want to ruin them on my first use! haha

I just broke out the pads over the weekend (brand new) and am having the exact issue. This is also with the 4in. focus pads.

I noticed when i cleaned them up after getting done working they seem to break apart more with the APC. Are you guys cleaning the pads with APC? if so that could be the culprit. Maybe your supplier changed adhesives or something that teh APC is effecting?!?!?

What issue are you having with the 4" pads? Theres a plastic reinforcing ring on those so there shouldnt be any pad separation issues.

What issue are you having with the 4" pads? Theres a plastic reinforcing ring on those so there shouldnt be any pad separation issues.

Oops, sorry wasnt clear on the 4in. They are actually separating from the Velcro/plastic ring. These are brand new and maybe only used for 10 minutes. This was the orange and white one:confused:. Ill take a pic when i get back home.

BTW: the the MSW grey pad is fine. seems to be the Green, Orange & White. None of my logos are warn off. However, it is worth mentioning that for the little area i did they did a spectacular job:2thumbs:

I havent used my new pads yet because my old ones are still in great shape so I cant speak from actual experience..but

I will say that my engineering instincts wondered how they would hold up since they no longer had any reinforcement..

Actually I take that back I did use my new green pad on my front and rear bumper when I first got it and have no issues so far..

We work these pads to death not only in testing, but demos all over the place and the failure rate is extremely low. Trust me when I say no one puts their pads thru more abuse than we do.

So do you think I actually just got a bad one?

Dylan thanks for looking at this, I'm not trying to say the pads are bad, I actually assume I am probably using them incorrectly since its my first time. I didn't want to come off like I am complaining, cause they work beautifully. Just don't want to keep tearing them up! haha

Guest Sarah@Adams
Me too:confused:

My green pad did the same thing in my first use today, but I am 100% sure its from me being a noob. Mine tore a bit while I was taking if off tho not during use.

Please send me an email or give me a call when you get a chance and we will make sure this is resolved!

One thing that does tend to cause this is not keeping your pad flat on the surface. If you tilt the polisher slightly the backing plate will tend to push in to the edge of the Velcro. As you can see, this is more common with the green pad, which you put more pressure into to remove the defects.

Keeping your pad nice and flat will help avoid this and you will also produce better results from your polishing process. :)

One thing that does tend to cause this is not keeping your pad flat on the surface. If you tilt the polisher slightly the backing plate will tend to push in to the edge of the Velcro. As you can see, this is more common with the green pad, which you put more pressure into to remove the defects.

Keeping your pad nice and flat will help avoid this and you will also produce better results from your polishing process. :)

Great point Lynn!:2thumbs:

Great point Lynn!:2thumbs:

hmm... well, being that this is my first time ever using a PC and perfecting my technique then i must have trashed them my self. Ill accept responsibility for it and say it was my fault.:o

Thanks for the offer though, no need in having you guys pay for my jacked up pads, its not right:thumbsup: thats some great Customer Service though.

hmm... well, being that this is my first time ever using a PC and perfecting my technique then i must have trashed them my self. Ill accept responsibility for it and say it was my fault.:o

Thanks for the offer though, no need in having you guys pay for my jacked up pads, its not right:thumbsup: thats some great Customer Service though.

I figured it was probably my fault. So the key is to keep the pad on flat surface not using just part of the pad and try not to use too much pressure. Got it! Thanks

Guest Sarah@Adams
I figured it was probably my fault. So the key is to keep the pad on flat surface not using just part of the pad and try not to use too much pressure. Got it! Thanks

Sure! You do want to put some pressure into the pad when removing defects, it just needs to be even pressure and you do this by concentrating on keeping the pad flat. Tilting it a little is normal for beginners as they tend to concentrate on the paint instead of how they are holding the polisher.

Sure! You do want to put some pressure into the pad when removing defects, it just needs to be even pressure and you do this by concentrating on keeping the pad flat. Tilting it a little is normal for beginners as they tend to concentrate on the paint instead of how they are holding the polisher.

Thanks, I'm sure i tilted some!

I just broke out the pads over the weekend (brand new) and am having the exact issue. This is also with the 4in. focus pads.

I noticed when i cleaned them up after getting done working they seem to break apart more with the APC. Are you guys cleaning the pads with APC? if so that could be the culprit. Maybe your supplier changed adhesives or something that teh APC is effecting?!?!?

Thanks for posting those pics.... my Adams logo hasn't disappeared. The Velcro is still in excellent shape.

Joe my green pad isn't anywhere close to as bad as yours, but its starting to tear along the sides as well. Call and talk to Lynn. I just spoke with her, and tell her your situation

This is exactly what mine are doing. The green is by far the worst, its seperated maybe an half inch to an inch down on one side. So it kinda flares out when in use. The others arent quite as bad but are starting to do it too. Not trying to point blame, just trying to see if I'm doing something wrong so I can fix it before I ruin them completely.

I noticed very tiny pieces of green pad coming off towards the end of use. I was also getting some slight dusting, nothing ridiculous though. But looking back I am pretty sure now that I was using slightly too much product.

I had the same problem last week. The white pad was by far the worst of the bunch but even the black pad, that gets used on a pc speed of 3, with no pressure was having separation issues.

I spoke to Mario last week and he sent me a new kit with 4 pads, a backing plate and a bottle of APC.

Huge thanks to Adams for standing behind their products

finishedpaintcorrection013Medium.jpg

finishedpaintcorrection014Medium.jpg

Notice that even the Adams label has worn off. This pad was used for 1 paint correction on a Toyota Tacoma

finishedpaintcorrection012Medium.jpg

finishedpaintcorrection016Medium.jpg

finishedpaintcorrection015Medium.jpg

finishedpaintcorrection017Medium.jpg

If anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears. I don't want to ruin another set of pads

As you guys know any issues with pads will be handled, seems to be extremely isolated so far based on how many of these are out there not having issues. Like anything theres bound to be a few in every couple hundred that might have a small issue... nothing is perfect 100% of the time.

Now if your logo is wearing off the backing after only a few uses it points to improper amounts of pressure. The pad should be moving WITH the backing plate at all times, so if you start to have the logo wearing away it means the backing plate is not in full contact or being allowed to spin independent of the pad.

Free spinning or going far too light on the pressure for extended periods of time can cause this, also with the flex and a little bit with the PC excessive amounts of pressure can cause it as well. Going beyond the right level of pressure + or - for a moment or 2 while you find the 'sweet spot' isn't a concern, but if you are polishing an entire car with improper pressure the backing will fail very quickly.

Ive noticed on here a couple of times lately Im wondering if there is an issue with the pad company but even if there is I can bet you Adam is on it with them already and working on the solution. I know they will replace anything that tears up as well. As far as the OPs issue sound like to much product and its caking in your pad I keep a small brush with tight hard bristles and every once in a while i hit the pad with it to keep the pores open on the pad works great for me.

Archived