Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing collector car questions

bjoeaull

Question

So my Dad and I have in the last year or two been buying collector cars, 6 now. They rarely leave the garage and were immaculately detailed when we bought them. Question is whats the best way to routinely clean these things. Should they ever see a hose if they aren't driven in wet conditions.

Next is probably easier to answer and thats the waxing. I'm thinking hand wax them once clean. Should we use clay ever? How often should they be waxed, I was thinking yearly, thoughts?

Hey, any ideas for the convertible tops on the firebird or gto? Just leave them or should I protect them with someting, but keep in mind they rarely get out so the sun is not a big issue.

Also what about the top of the chevelle, I'm guessing same as the convertibles?

White walls on the truck, APC and Brush?

Raggtop kit from internet....I have the cleaner and protectant. Easy to use and awesome protection. All you need is a hose, brush and sun to dry protectant.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have this craving to buy some BG and American and use it, especially on the firebird! I am partial to it, I think that color would just pop with it on! Probably the blue vette would look phenomenal with it also.

I have this craving to buy some BG and American and use it, especially on the firebird! I am partial to it, I think that color would just pop with it on! Probably the blue vette would look phenomenal with it also.

You could polish that thing with a monkey turd and it would still look great

I do agree though. BG and Americana would definately ad to the bling :glasses:

You could polish that thing with a monkey turd and it would still look great

I do agree though. BG and Americana would definately ad to the bling :glasses:

I actually did laugh out loud a little after that comment.

So heading to my dads tomorrow to work on a few of the cars. I doubt I will get to them all, hoping to do 3 atleast. Shouldn't take to long as I really only plan on washing and applying MSW to them with the PC, then general things like SVRT, and windows and what nots. I haven't purchased BG or American yet so that will have to be down the road. I will try my best to remember my camera as I am sure I will get flamed for forgetting it! haha.

Hey, any ideas for the convertible tops on the firebird or gto? Just leave them or should I protect them with someting, but keep in mind they rarely get out so the sun is not a big issue.

White walls on the truck, APC and Brush?

Adam has recommended RaggTopp products in the past: (http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207&highlight=raggtopp)

Hi PJ- We have been trying to create a chemical to clean, and another to effectively protect fabric convertible tops. The key is making them better than the competition, and pass all of the stringent VOC laws that originate in California, and spread like wildfire throughout the country.

The Ragg Topp products you used last are quite good, as are the 303 fabric products.

If we can't sell you the products, we can at least shoot you in the right direction. In this case PJ, it's the same direction you were in before asking!

RAGGTOPP Convertible Care products are exclusively tested and endorsed by The Haartz Corporation, original equipment manufacturer of convertible topping for virtually every American and European convertible automobile manufactured throughout the world.

Do they sit in a garage all the time?

If they are fully corrected and you're happy with the finish I'd do as follows.

Make sure the car is clean (hose and bucket(s) or waterless wash) and then grab a plastic grocery bag (thinner is better here) and put your hand in it and rub it gently on the paint. Does it feel smooth or do you feel like you're reading brail? If brail, clay but you may get micro marring from the clay which means you need to polish. If smooth, grab some Brilliant Glaze and put a coat on and remove. Then follow with a top coat of Americana. Anytime you're showing it, clean it with waterless car wash and then use detail spray or Brilliant Glaze for that just waxed finish.

If your vehicles only have a very light dust on them and never see water, waterless car wash will work great. Watch the videos on the correct way to use the products.

Lets see some pics though!!! :thumbsup:

Chris

So my Dad and I have in the last year or two been buying collector cars, 6 now. They rarely leave the garage and were immaculately detailed when we bought them. Question is whats the best way to routinely clean these things. Should they ever see a hose if they aren't driven in wet conditions.

Next is probably easier to answer and thats the waxing. I'm thinking hand wax them once clean. Should we use clay ever? How often should they be waxed, I was thinking yearly, thoughts?

If the cars are as you say "immaculate" then thats going to help a bunch

If the car has been driven any at all, IMO its going to need to see water of some kind. Rather that be a hose, or a waterless wash (what an oxymoron that term is) I myself, prefer a hose wash

Hand waxing with a good carnuba is always a good idea. Many wax their cars monthly, but thats more just for the passion. I would recommend at least waxing them twice a year. January and July are easy to remember

As far as claying goes, as long as they are slick to the touch, no they won't need claying. Unless you plan on polishing by machine after claying, I never recommend doing that as marring is bound to occurr

Congrats on the collection. Sounds sweet

God bless,

Flash :burnout:

Do they sit in a garage all the time?

If they are fully corrected and you're happy with the finish I'd do as follows.

Make sure the car is clean (hose and bucket or waterless wash) and then grab a plastic grocery bag (thinner is better here) and put your hand in it and rub it gently on the paint. Does it feel smooth or do you feel like you're reading brail? If brail, clay, if smooth, grab some Brilliant Glaze and put a coat on and remove. Then follow with a coat of Americana. Anytime you're showing it, clean it with waterless car wash and then use detail spray or Brilliant Glaze for that just waxed finish.

If your vehicles only have a very light dust on them and never see water, waterless car wash will work great. Watch the videos on the correct way to use the product.

Chris

Thanks, yeah, always garaged, they get out maybe once every couple weeks to just be driven a little. I'll check out the paint next time Im there to see if they need clay or not.

If the cars are as you say "immaculate" then thats going to help a bunch

If the car has been driven any at all, IMO its going to need to see water of some kind. Rather that be a hose, or a waterless wash (what an oxymoron that term is) I myself, prefer a hose wash

Hand waxing with a good carnuba is always a good idea. Many wax their cars monthly, but thats more just for the passion. I would recommend at least waxing them twice a year. January and July are easy to remember

As far as claying goes, as long as they are slick to the touch, no they won't need claying. Unless you plan on polishing by machine after claying, I never recommend doing that as marring is bound to occurr

Congrats on the collection. Sounds sweet

God bless,

Flash :burnout:

I'm kinda partial to water washing also. The hard part about waxing frequently is that there are 6 of them, lol. I guess is we did one a month, that would make twice a year!

Thanks, yeah, always garaged, they get out maybe once every couple weeks to just be driven a little. I'll check out the paint next time Im there to see if they need clay or not.

Yeah, if you drive them, do a two bucket wash like shown in the videos. Better safe than sorry. Brake dust is pretty corrosive/abrasive stuff.

A couple of coats of wax a year will be necessary since you're driving them. I'd treat it like a daily driver but with less waxing.

Chris

I'm kinda partial to water washing also. The hard part about waxing frequently is that there are 6 of them, lol. I guess is we did one a month, that would make twice a year!

Now see, that makes alot of sense. 1 car a month wouldn't be to taxing, now would it?

Applying a coat of carnuba will only add 30-45 minutes after the wash. Heck, maybe there is a member close to you that you could invite over to allow them to get their "waxing jones on" :rockon:

Flash :jester:

Archived