Customer Service 866.965.0400

Discussion: APC as Clay Lube?

Team Adam's

Question

A topic last night involving water spots and how to remove them brought up the suggestion that you use APC for your clay lube to remove them. My first reservation in suggesting that is the impact it has on the clay... as it it dissolves it!

Another point might be to consider the principle of 'the right tool for the job' and while APC is an excellent cleaner, it is at its heart a degreaser which is best suited for attacking petroleum based (oil, silicones, etc) contamination. Being that water spots are actually mineral based a better choice would be something that goes after mineral deposits... vinegar for example! But that opens up a discussion of your hands and clay smelling like vinegar LOL.

Heres a video to illustrate my point as to why APC is NOT a good clay lubricant:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0zmG5II8KE8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16 answers to this question

Wasn't so much DIRECTED at you as it was INSPIRED by you. :D

FWIW... after only about 30 minutes in the 50/50 APC solution the clay was already tacky (I don't mean wearing plaid shorts with a stripped shirt) and clouding up the APC mixture.

30 minutes at 1:1 is not long... probably about how long you'd spend claying all the glass on your car if you were going to use it that way. Leaving it overnight was more a proof of concept type thing.

I'm glad I could inspire you :lolsmack:

Not for the paint Anthony, the subject was using it on glass for really bad water spots.

And the video was directed at me. As I suggested it because I use it on the glass doors of my shower.

And thanks for the PM Dylan, I tried the Glass Cleaner as a lube today and it did a great job :thumbsup:

But I promise, I will never soak my clay in APC overnight, that would be bad for my clay ;)

Wasn't so much DIRECTED at you as it was INSPIRED by you. :D

FWIW... after only about 30 minutes in the 50/50 APC solution the clay was already tacky (I don't mean wearing plaid shorts with a stripped shirt) and clouding up the APC mixture.

30 minutes at 1:1 is not long... probably about how long you'd spend claying all the glass on your car if you were going to use it that way. Leaving it overnight was more a proof of concept type thing.

Not for the paint Anthony, the subject was using it on glass for really bad water spots.

And the video was directed at me. As I suggested it because I use it on the glass doors of my shower.

And thanks for the PM Dylan, I tried the Glass Cleaner as a lube today and it did a great job :thumbsup:

But I promise, I will never soak my clay in APC overnight, that would be bad for my clay ;)

Yea I know, but theres some people out there.....Well you know :lol:

Start with about .25oz to a full bottle of water.... test..... if it drags add another .25oz.... test.... if it drags repeat. Its really hard to find that perfect ratio and I've so rarely needed to try that I haven't really tried to peg it exactly.

dylan, Cool video. I dont want to derail your thread but im running out of detail spray and glad you said that you can use soap and water. Im going to have an emty DS bottle so what would you suggest mixing ratio's be?

Thanks man!

Heck, a lime deposit remover is safe on glass. Just wipe some on and bam. Vinegar is nice because it's relatively safe on paint and plastics too.

I use Adams Glass Cleaner as my window clay lube.

Chris

Archived