Customer Service 866.965.0400

Take the good with the bad

BillB

I have been told that the tint laws are so that officers are safe and can see into the vhecile which I think is bs but oh well. Coming from a state that has a)tint laws and B) front license plate laws I don't want to hear it! :) Let's just say I have been lucky and/or smart that when I do get pulled over I immedately rol down my windows so he can't check that. If he only crawled underneath my car though :rolleyes:

Coming from all the law enforcement in my family (little brother is Los Angeles Sheriffs Department, 1 cousin is California Highway Patrol, another is local -Fontana- PD) thats pretty much the reasoning.

On approach they need to be able to see you or what you're doing for their safety. Its that or they shoot your windows out :D

That nifty trick where they hit your mirrors with the flood light at night when your pulled over isn't as effective at blinding you.

If your driving down the freeway stark naked, talking on your cell phone, and smokin a joint, solo in the car pool lane they can't see that.

I get it, but I still don't like it... luckily having this much 'fuzz' in the family I can either name drop my way out of a ticket or just have it written off.

LIMO TINT FTW!!! :lolsmack:

Several members of my family and close friends are in law enforcement and we've discussed this time and time again. I understand the safety argument, but it really is some faulty logic. Just ask yourself, if the safety of the officer was the primary reason for not allowing window tint on some or all windows of a vehicle, why hasn't every state adopted the same law and/or limits?

The majority of 'law-abiding' citizens have their illegally tinted windows rolled down the second they they see lights and hear sirens, so the safety issue doesn't exist in the case of guys like the majority of us on here that have their windows illegally tinted. I know I do. Windows down. Vehicle off. Flashers on. Hands on top of the steering wheel in plain sight and waiting to be told what to do next. I'm going to make this as stress free a stop as possible for both of us. If there is anything I don't agree with, I'll take it to court later, but the side of the road is no place for a debate or discussion.

However, let's paint a different picture...

LEO decides to make a traffic stop on a vehicle with tinted windows and/or another violation/suspicion. He cannot see into the car to verify the number of occupants and/or his own safety if he approaches the vehicle because of the window tint. Before the officer exits his own vehicle he should be aware as to whether or not the windows on the vehicle have been lowered. If they have not, that should raise a immediate red flag. At that time the officer should direct the driver to roll down the windows in the vehicle from the 'safety' of his own vehicle. If the driver does not comply, at a minimum, that's violation #2. The officer should then contact dispatch and request additional units for support. At no time should the officer make any attempt to engage the driver of the vehicle if the windows are not lowered so the officer can verify the occupants of the vehicle and/or doubt his own safety. Granted, I understand this probably means more resources, more time, but isn't safety worth it?

Yes, I'm willfully breaking the law by having my front windows tinted and I do understand the penalties. As much respect that I have for LEOs, it is not my responsibility to make sure they are protected from themselves or anyone else.

Plus you could paint every other window in your vehicle black if you wanted too, how does that protect them from someone in the back??

Eh, we can argue it until we are blue in the face... but in the end it will do no good lol. Now I have to decide whether or not to take the tint off, since he is a local he is going to be looking for me :(

Hi Bill,

Checked out your pics and that is one sweet truck. The color match looks awesome. I don't have to do too much to mine because it is black. I have to get some pics of it posted someday. I have a 2010 2500HD CCSB.

I am from the 'burg as well, actually close to Grabiak. Where did he pick you up at? What percentage tint do you have on the front?

Brian

Thanks Brian!

I am located about 5 mins from Pittsburgh International airport (Hopewell Township). When I saw him it was right outside my housing plan then he followed me in and pulled me over pretty much right on my street lol.

I was able to make it to Grabiak for the clinic but couldn't hang around very long :(

The tint is 15%, I think.

This always makes me laugh...You do realize that cops are Tax Payers also don't you?

And the cop doesn't impose ANY fines on ANYONE. The courts impose fines. The cops don't make the laws but they are paid by Tax Payers to Enforce the laws made by the legislator.

A lot of wanted felons are caught and arrested from being stopped for these BS laws!!!

Thankfully yes I realize they're also taxpayers and neighbors and fathers or mothers and human beings yup. But my issue is them wasting quality time stopping someone for a window tint. I mean really? That's solving crime and protecting society? It's done solely as a money generator. Yes they're the tool put into action to collect the money but they often have a choice to stop in the first place or not, to issue the summons or not.

Ya I basically just had him match the front to the back from the factory. I am taking the 15% off today... possibly do 45% or something in the near future as I don't want to draw any more attention than I already have being as I was warned about the tires.

15% is pretty dark. I went with 35% since the interior is black. So far no problems around here but I'll be sure to avoid Hopewell.

35% is what I have... I have one ticket. I now roll them down near cops. When it's 10º out it's COLD!!! lol

35% is what I have... I have one ticket. I now roll them down near cops. When it's 10º out it's COLD!!! lol

lol I normally do that too... just didn't roll them down fast enough for this cop.

Tint is off and it doesn't look quite as bad as I remember w/o it, still looks pretty dark because I have a black interior

This cop is on a freakin mission... just talked to one of the guys who lives up the street from me with a black crew cab GMC, pulled him over this morning. He only warned him tho :help:

This cop is on a freakin mission... just talked to one of the guys who lives up the street from me with a black crew cab GMC, pulled him over this morning. He only warned him tho :help:

Someone trying to fill their non-existent quota that doesn't have any effect on their performance rating. ;)

Get this... We just made it lawful in IA to carry a gun, but I can't tint my bloody windows? WTH? Really?

Chris

Same in NH. You do not need a permit to buy/carry a gun but you can not tint the front windows either...

A lot of it boils down to where you are when they see you too...

My neck of the woods is fairly well to do, not a lot of crime, so the cops will stop you for tint in a heartbeat. When I used to work swingshift I got stopped by the same cop almost weekly for the tint and blackout on the TBSS... it was almost like a game for this guy. Didn't seem to matter to him that I got it written off each time... he was gonna stop me and hold me for 30 minutes each night on my way home.

My brother who works in LA as a sheriff has basically said they almost laugh about tint tickets in the Compton Station and similar cities... unless you're smoking a crack pipe and firing a pistol out of your car doing 90mph in a school zone they're not concerned about tint. All the other stuff going on, shooting, robberies, rapes the last thing they care about is if you have tint. On top of that with the state budget in such a mess they haven't been hiring so they're understaffed.

So it just goes to show its just as much about WHERE you are as anything else.

My neck of the woods is fairly well to do, not a lot of crime, so the cops will stop you for tint in a heartbeat. When I used to work swingshift I got stopped by the same cop almost weekly for the tint and blackout on the TBSS... it was almost like a game for this guy. Didn't seem to matter to him that I got it written off each time... he was gonna stop me and hold me for 30 minutes each night on my way home.

My brother who works in LA as a sheriff has basically said they almost laugh about tint tickets in the Compton Station and similar cities... unless you're smoking a crack pipe and firing a pistol out of your car doing 90mph in a school zone they're not concerned about tint. All the other stuff going on, shooting, robberies, rapes the last thing they care about is if you have tint. On top of that with the state budget in such a mess they haven't been hiring so they're understaffed.

So much truth. Just about nothing happens in the little township of Hopewell... well except tint fines :rolleyes:

:iagree:

when i was in college i had a monte carlo with limo tint and ny tags in md lol. i couldnt drive at all in the middle of the day without being pulled over.

i agree, it all depends on where you are and what time of the day it is. i have never in 12 years of driving been pulled over in rush hour traffic for anything. you can be "smoking a crack pipe and firing a pistol out of your car doing 90mph in a school zone" (although it would be hard to do 90 during rush hour lol) during rush hour and be fine, but try doing it at 11am.

although i mainly drive to and from work, maybe grab some food after work in the evening and/or be on the roads during the weekend, i decided to go 35%. to avoid allowing someone to "play a game" with me every week or day and waste 30 mins of my life over my tint.

**** i would love to throw the limo tint on my first black car though...

Archived