Customer Service 866.965.0400

Windshield treatment products...how effective against bug splats?

jem556

Question

Would be interested in hearing from members on their experience and/or recommendations regarding windshield treatment products and their effectiveness in shielding against bug splats. Nothing is more frustrating to me (auto wise that is) than to spend a day detailing my vehicle only to have the windshield covered in bug guts after driving a couple of miles down the road! I have never used products such as Rain-X, etc. on my windshields as I was always concerned about streaking or film buildup (perhaps unfounded). What have you used and how well did it work in helping the wipers and washer fluid clean away the splats?

12 answers to this question

Here is a video I made demonstrating the effectiveness of Adam's Glass Sealant in the weather.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11241

To attest to bug guts, after treating with Glass Sealant, and helping drive the Adam's Truck to Auburn, IN, all it took were a few sprays of Adam's Glass Cleaner with the Green Microfiber Glass Towel, and no more bugs, when we stopped.

Adam's stuff is superior to anything you will buy. Remember to not use alcohol or anything else with alcohol in it as a cleaner after you have done this, or you will just be washing off the Sealant too.

:D

Mook

Here is a video I made demonstrating the effectiveness of Adam's Glass Sealant in the weather.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11241

To attest to bug guts, after treating with Glass Sealant, and helping drive the Adam's Truck to Auburn, IN, all it took were a few sprays of Adam's Glass Cleaner with the Green Microfiber Glass Towel, and no more bugs, when we stopped.

Adam's stuff is superior to anything you will buy. Remember to not use alcohol or anything else with alcohol in it as a cleaner after you have done this, or you will just be washing off the Sealant too.

:D

Mook

Crap...I didn't know Adam's had this product! < my newbieness is showing :o > I searched the Adam's webstore for "windshield" and "window" and came up empty...why didn't I think to search for "glass" :confused:

Well, I know now! Thanks for this info, I will have to give it a try.

Glass Sealant will BLOW you away...

<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2niiVG-PyP8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2niiVG-PyP8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I have used Rain X for many years, and never had issues. I now use Adams Glass Sealant and it works great. I would advise to clean the glass by washing with soap and water. Then use detail clay and DS to remove all the bugs and contaminants. Rewash again to remove the detail spray and clay. Then apply the sealant in a up and down direction, wait a couple minutes, then reapply in a side to side motion. Then clean off with adams glass cleaner. I am reluctant to use my nice Adams window glass towels on removing the sealant, so I use some other glass cleaning towels I have. Not sure if the sealant will wash out of the towels, and don't want to put it on the tint in my vehicles.

I have used Rain X for many years, and never had issues. I now use Adams Glass Sealant and it works great. I would advise to clean the glass by washing with soap and water. Then use detail clay and DS to remove all the bugs and contaminants. Rewash again to remove the detail spray and clay. Then apply the sealant in a up and down direction, wait a couple minutes, then reapply in a side to side motion. Then clean off with adams glass cleaner. I am reluctant to use my nice Adams window glass towels on removing the sealant, so I use some other glass cleaning towels I have. Not sure if the sealant will wash out of the towels, and don't want to put it on the tint in my vehicles.

It's actually advisable to use Adams glass cleaner and glass MF towel to clean the surface, respray the glass with the GC and use as the lubricant for the clay. Clay the windshield and then use MF to remove again, then if happy with the results apply the GS on a MF applicator and apply in vertical and horizontal lines so the applications overlap. Let haze and remove with the slightly damp MF towel.

I've used rain-x in the past with negative results. It always made my wipers skip. No matter the vehicle. I've never had that problem using Adams GS, and let me tell you, I WAS hesitant.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

It's actually advisable to use Adams glass cleaner and glass MF towel to clean the surface, respray the glass with the GC and use as the lubricant for the clay. Clay the windshield and then use MF to remove again, then if happy with the results apply the GS on a MF applicator and apply in vertical and horizontal lines so the applications overlap. Let haze and remove with the slightly damp MF towel.

I've used rain-x in the past with negative results. It always made my wipers skip. No matter the vehicle. I've never had that problem using Adams GS, and let me tell you, I WAS hesitant.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

I agree with Chewy. I have used Rain X before I knew about Adam s and it was not the best. I applied gs using the prep Chewy describes and it did not take long. All I do now for bugs or bird droppings is glass cleaner on a glass towel and it comes off without any prob. The products are awesome! Great visibility when it rains!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Glass Sealant will BLOW you away...

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2niiVG-PyP8?fs=1&hl=en_US width=853 height=510 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

The proof is in the pudding, great video, thanks for taking the time and the risk to make the vid. :2thumbs:

Bottom line: It works.

Archived