Customer Service 866.965.0400

Motorcycle Chrome

Spec7re

Question

I just bought a 2010 Yamaha Raider S and it has tons of chrome. I'm really worried about rust and corrosion.

Whats the best way to protect motorcycle chrome? Do the metal polishes provide any protection? I've read on here you can wax it, but what about the exhaust and other parts that get hot? Would I be better off using MSW or Americana? I assume Americana would not work well on parts that get hot. If I should use MSW, what applicator works best for getting in tight spots (I think I have all the applicators)?

11 answers to this question

I just bought a 2010 Yamaha Raider S and it has tons of chrome. I'm really worried about rust and corrosion.

Whats the best way to protect motorcycle chrome? Do the metal polishes provide any protection? I've read on here you can wax it, but what about the exhaust and other parts that get hot? Would I be better off using MSW or Americana? I assume Americana would not work well on parts that get hot. If I should use MSW, what applicator works best for getting in tight spots (I think I have all the applicators)?

On my bikes I use the metal polish #1 and the new metal polish #2, both work great, outstanding shine, (Get your Sun Glasses on). I use on all chrome and aluminum, I have used it on chrome rocker boxes, chrome oil filters and the pipes as well, no problems! Make sure all parts are cool, not hot or warm. I will normally wait until the next day to wash and wax the bikes, always to warm the day of a ride. I have been detailing bikes for the past 4 years, just started with Adams this spring but the product is Awesome. The chrome will almost look blue when your done with the polish. I believe the metal polish will also protect as well, but one of Adams people will have to confirm on that. I'm always waxing and polishing my bikes, can't stand a dirty cycle, so it never gets a chance to rust!! I use the double sided applicator for 90% of the chrome, where it can't get I will use a soft cotton rag to apply and micro cloth for polishing.

Hope this helps!

One note that may help, in tight places use an old tooth brush to remove wax, you can also rap a rag around the bush handle to get in tight places. A new or clean paint brush works great in the jug fins, make sure to cover the metal portion of the brush with tape so you don't scratch any parts!!!

Ride Safe!!

Edited by BigDogK-9

#2 is more than good enough for most chrome. Follow that up with BG and Americana and BLING!!!!

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

That must be one shiny bike!!

Regular cleaning and occasional polishing is all you need to keep that chrome looking perfect. Adam's Green Wheel cleaner with the Boar's hair brush is your safest way to clean it. Dry thoroughly and use Detail Spray with a single or double soft microfiber to keep that "mirror" look to the chrome. Use Metal #1 and follow with Metal #2 to bring back a better than new look to it once it starts to loose its original luster. With proper maintenance you will not have to polish much at all!

Chrome rusts very slow compared to many metals. It takes moisture and carbon dioxide to combine with that chrome to start the rust process. So the biggest step you can take to minimize chance of rust is to keep it dry.

You can wax it but it will be very tedious and I personally find it is not worth the extra time.

I hope this helps and post some pics:)

Steve

#2 is more than good enough for most chrome. Follow that up with BG and Americana and BLING!!!!

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Definitely some BG!!!! Its insane what it does for chrome.

I would suggest 0000 (4) over 000 (3) on the steel wool just to be on the safe side. 0000 is going to be finer and have less chance of damaging the chrome permenantly.

As far as how to use, pour a good amount of MP1 onto the steel wool and work it like an applicator. Follow up with MP2 on a foam pad to refine it. You may even need an intermediate step of MP1 on foam to bridge that gap.